Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

New York

(7 Posts)
Pinkpeanut27 Mon 20-Jun-16 17:37:25

So totally out of my comfort zone again . NYC in August with 6,13,13 kids .
I think there is loads to do and have a long list , is there anything that is not on a standard tourist book to do ?

Also assume it's going to be hot hot hot so any tips about clothing that doesn't mark us out as tourists! We don't generall have much in the way of summer stuff as it's generally not hot enough to wear it !!

Also 2 weeks in NYC following a week in Miami on a hotel . What do you do about washing ? Usually I'm known for washing every day almost ! As we are usually in a cottage in Europe with a machine . Do you wash things in the bathroom use hotel laundry or am I going to be looking for a laundrette !we do not have enough for 3 weeks and DH is keen on packing light !!
Also the thought of relying on stuff we but out there doesn't appeal as my family are very anti shopping !

Help on any of these matters appreciated I have no idea !

Artistic Mon 20-Jun-16 18:34:03

Can't help you much but I've found that travelling in summer results in smaller luggage due to lightweight cotton clothes. BUT they get sweaty quickly so reusing is difficult. I usually take 4-5 tops for each skirt or shorts. That way you can reuse bottoms & have a clean top. You might need to locate a laundromat near your hotel, you can't carry clothes for 3 weeks!!

PUGaLUGS Mon 20-Jun-16 18:52:53

We were lucky and after a week in NY last August flew on to somewhere else that had a full working kitchen and I had a ton of laundry to do for all four of us. We had a suitcase each and I put all the dirty laundry in one case.

It is going to be very very hot. I would suggest maybe asking the hotel in Miami to launder your clothes for you once you get there.

PUGaLUGS Mon 20-Jun-16 18:54:27

One tip... Get the best footwear you can for NY as you will walk miles.

AttilaTheMeerkat Mon 20-Jun-16 20:20:23

I would do a google search of launderettes near your hotel in NYC.

Do not use hotel laundry services unless you really have to as they are very expensive and also charge per item.

Would agree with the footwear tip; comfortable footwear there is a must.

Pinkpeanut27 Thu 23-Jun-16 19:22:13

We have no laundry services at either place sadly , will search for a laundrette then , I love my holidays jobs just follow me from home but just become more tricky !

Anna275 Thu 23-Jun-16 20:28:02

Get a pizza at Grimaldi's in DUMBO. If you go for dinner you can walk to the Promenade after (maybe grab an ice cream on the pier from the Brooklyn Ice Cream Factory) and see the NYC skyline all lit up at night. I used to live in Brooklyn Heights right by the promenade and that view never got old.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now