Talk

Advanced search

Australia - for a week from UK?

(45 Posts)
chocoLit Fri 17-Jun-16 16:12:04

I'm swithering about booking a week to visit my BF after she has her baby. We've looked into us all going next year but that merits a longer trip for the DC to be part of.

Am I being ridiclious? I could take a wk off work and head over but would I be any use or just completely knackered? And how wrecked would I be when I got back?

She's in Perth if that makes any massive difference?!

Thanks!

RiverTam Fri 17-Jun-16 16:16:09

I think that's a mad idea grin. Personally I would say 3 weeks is a minimum, 2 at the absolute bare minimum if you really can't do any longer. Obviously it varies but I found the jet lag very draining, especially as it was 40 degrees when I landed.

WreckTangled Fri 17-Jun-16 16:16:59

I personally wouldn't. You'd be spending 30 hours plus travelling. Imo it's really not worth it.

trilbydoll Fri 17-Jun-16 16:19:34

I was really cold and spaced out for about 3 days when I went, DH reckoned that was jet lag. I also woke up at 5am for a week when we got back! Depends how well you cope with jet lag, I'm generally pretty good, but Australia was clearly a step too far grin

chocoLit Fri 17-Jun-16 16:25:51

RiverTam, I take your point but 3wks will only be happening when we can go as a whole family. Which isn't this time as we have a family holiday to Florida booked in Oct.

WreckTangled I'm not sure I don't relish the thought of 30hrs on my own away from the business & kids grin

Trilbydoll 5am is when I get up for work anyway so it might help me stop being late!

slev Fri 17-Jun-16 16:26:05

I think it's fine. If you time your flight so you leave Friday night and arrive back Sunday, you're away for slightly more than 7 nights but get almost 7 nights there.

Bear in mind Perth is Western Australia which makes a big difference in flight times (it's still long though!).

I assuming that you're not going for a holiday but because you and your BF will value you being there after she has her baby. For a holiday, yes, I'd try and go for longer. To.support a friend, I think it's doable.

The only debate for me is if I couldn't afford to go twice and wanted to take DC later, in which case I'd wait. But timing-wise, it's definitely an option.

Salene Fri 17-Jun-16 16:30:37

Pointless it's not long enough. You will spend half the time travelling almost

chocoLit Fri 17-Jun-16 16:31:31

Thanks Slev. I can get fairly cheap flights if I go economy and because am self employed I can pick and choose the cheapest days iyswim. So I'll be about £700 return and no accom costs as would stay with them.

Ideally we'll ALL go out as a family for 3/4wks in 2017/18 but this is exactly as you describe. To show up, meet baby, help with whatever I can and provide some support.

I'm just not sure if I'll be any use if I'm absolutely wiped AND <very selfishly> don't want to wreck myself before this family trip to the US in Oct.

RiverTam Fri 17-Jun-16 16:32:52

No, I understand that, which is why I think it's mad! You'll be good for nothing both when you're there and when you get back.

Have you been asked to go?

RupertPupkin Fri 17-Jun-16 16:35:39

I am from that part of the world and whenever I go back the first three days are a write off. It's not just being tired, it's feeling woozy and disoriented. I would also say 2 weeks at the least.

ShanghaiDiva Fri 17-Jun-16 16:35:49

Perth is only 7 hours from Hong Kong and there is no time difference which would help. There is a day flight with Cathay that gets in to Perth and around 10 pm local time.

AndNowItsSeven Fri 17-Jun-16 16:35:58

If you are self employed go for at least ten days, and yes has she asked you to stay, the last thing I would have wanted after having a baby would be a friend staying over for a week.

chocoLit Fri 17-Jun-16 16:37:07

No I haven't been asked and I haven't even offered in case it wasn't plausible. She'd have me there in a shot if she could and I don't want to give her false hope.

If it's not worth doing then it's not worth doing. Having never been I didn't know if it was doable, hence asking smile

No point in turning up to help if I'm more of a walking zombie hindrance.

Iguessyourestuckwithme Fri 17-Jun-16 16:38:18

Are you sure she s going to want you to stay for 7 days?

chocoLit Fri 17-Jun-16 16:43:03

Lol I appreciate that AndNowItsSeven but that's not an issue with regards my staying. Trust me. And it wouldn't be immediately after the baby but 8wks. Her only other DC is grown up and her DP isn't going to be getting more than a wk off work. Her DMum cannot go till next year and her MIL, well - less said the better. She's not long moved there and doesn't really know anyone.

I was going to offer some support. Not a holiday. Just help and support. If it's feasible to offer then fair enough. If she says 'no thanks' also fair enough however we've done it before for each other before she decided to sod off round the world. She did live in another country previously but not this far away.

If it's not advisable because I'll be sod all use then I won't even offer and the earliest I'll be able to see them all is next year when we can secure time off for the whole family.

It wasn't a sight seeing/ vacation trip. It was a meet the baby, let me do your shop, clean your loo, fill your freezer, let you sleep trip that we've done previously with each other DC <of which there are 4>

I'm not in the habit of turning up unannounced as an unwanted house guest the second someone pops a baby out.

chocoLit Fri 17-Jun-16 16:46:59

Thanks ShanghaiDiva I'll have a look at that route however from the general consensus it's a waste of time me offering to visit/help when I'll be jet lagged and feck all use for the short time I'd be there.

AndNowItsSeven Fri 17-Jun-16 16:47:44

Ah ok 8 weeks I would appreciate I thought you meant straight after the birth. You sound a good friend but having lived in Australia I do think you will struggle although the jet lag is worse coming back to the UK.

BusyBusyBusy1 Fri 17-Jun-16 16:51:10

I would do it - you will be jetlagged and out of synch for three days after you arrive in Oz but that won't matter with a baby - actually could be handy as you could help your friend get some rest at night. I always find rtn to UK is easier to adapt. I think your friend will really appreciate it and as she will be on mat leave, you being a bit jet lagged means that you will be in the zone with her if that makes any sense. i would choose a short flight though - eg anything that transits thru Singapore is usually as direct as possible if you are flying from London. Go for it!

Heatherbell1978 Fri 17-Jun-16 16:51:10

Oh I'd go!! We have friends in Perth so have made the trip a few times. We went with our 18 month old in March for 2.5 weeks and it was great. Depends on how you personally cope with tiredness etc. We arrived in Perth at 9pm 26 hrs after leaving Scotland, went to bed at midnight, woke at 9am and we were good to go. If you have young kids and are used to little sleep, jet lag is easy!! I did a lot of travel pre- DS and found jet lag hard but now....it's like how I felt every day on mat leave...lol!
We found it harder going on way home but it didn't matter as holiday was over.
If you have the money and the opportunity, go and have a great time smile

chocoLit Fri 17-Jun-16 16:51:52

That's all I needed to know AndNowItsSeven and yes, I am a GREAT friend btw wink.

She's desperate to have me there for the actual birth but it isn't possible and she knows this. It might seem a strange situation to some but we're 4 kids in between us <soon to be 5><exciting> and know our limits.

Telling each other when to feck off and when to be there for each other is part of why we work so well. That and we live in different countries grin

chocoLit Fri 17-Jun-16 16:56:45

Busybusybusy1 thank you - flights from Scotland though but can look into other routes if you think they might work better.

Heather1978 that's good to know. I'm actually more exhausted running the business than I was with all of my DC - I swear to god it's worse so am used to working stupidly long hours and running on very little sleep <sigh> I'd relish the chance to sit on my arse on a plane for that length of time grin

I'd just HATE to turn up and be no bloody use. £700 is a lot of money to spend being sod all use to anyone.................

BusyBusyBusy1 Fri 17-Jun-16 17:31:32

Looks like Etihad has a good deal from Edinburgh (via Abu Dhabi) with very short transfer time.

Heatherbell1978 Fri 17-Jun-16 17:36:09

chocoLit we flew Edinburgh-Doha-Perth. 24 hrs door to door but delayed a couple of hours in Doha. If you can time it so you arrive in the evening that's better for adjusting as you can have a few hours up then to bed before you completely crash.
You won't be useless. Yes a bit tired, but once there you'll soon get into swing of it and I'm sure you'll be no more tired than your friend so you can both support each other!

chocoLit Fri 17-Jun-16 17:42:31

Thanks ladies. Etihad from Edinburgh or Emirates from Glasgow both feasible options. I've booked with Emirates many times for my uncle going to Dubai so am familiar with prices.

Gives me a lot to think about as not just the cost of the flights but arranging childcare whilst am away <DH works> and covering me at the work.......

specialsubject Fri 17-Jun-16 19:10:02

Would it make more sense to send her the equivalent of the fare to pay for some help?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now