Talk

Advanced search

Koh Samui Ideas and tips please

(20 Posts)
ihatethecold Thu 16-Jun-16 12:02:56

We are going at the end of July for 10 days,
My kids are teens so we will want to do a few activities whilst we are there.
We plan to go to the Marine reserve and will book with 100 degrees east as they seem to get very good reviews.

What other trips would you recommend?

I would also like to know how much mosquito spray/repellent we should take for 4 of us for 2 weeks.

Any fun restaurants we should try, we are staying near Bophut/Choeng Mon.

Thanks

HarrogateMum Thu 16-Jun-16 13:16:17

Fishermans Village has some great restaurants and the markets are great to walk around in the evenings. You can get around quite easily on the island anyway - can't recommend particular places as it's three years since I was there and can't remember any of the names! You'll have a great time though, its a wonderful place!

NotAMamaYet Thu 16-Jun-16 13:20:45

Definitely do day/overnight trips to Koh Tao and Koh Phangan... An hour or so I think on a boat, cheap as chips and much less touristy than Koh Samui - if that's what you're looking for

Beaches less full and much cleaner and also all the amenities are much cheaper over on those two than Samui (think beers were literally half the price on Koh Tao compared to Koh Samui)

Boozena Thu 16-Jun-16 15:04:22

I really recommend koh tao for a trip, its laid back and the entertainment on the beach is brill. Having stayed at koh phangan you couldnt pay me enough to go back, especially if you're anywhere near a full/half moon party.
I daresay it's tourists doing but it was grubby, unwelcoming and a lot of drunk / drugged people practically passed out on the beach. Loads of litter and stray animals in a bad way :-(

ihatethecold Thu 16-Jun-16 16:20:45

My DS gets awful sea sickness so I'm having a hard time convincing him to do the marine trip never mind another even longer one !

Boozena Thu 16-Jun-16 16:26:37

Ah I see- in that case think carefully about any extra trips to take. Sea sick tablets can be a god send.
Also when I went there were different boats doing the same trip- different prices obvs but the more expensive ones are more comfortable in that you get more space to sit and/or move around and it feels less like your on a boat iyswim? As in you can sit downstairs rather than on deck so can almost pretend you're not on a boat.
I had seasickness too and literally the only thing that stopped me being sick was singing blush
I think it was the distraction and I couldn't read (makes it worse) so I sang. DH thought I was barmy but it worked!

ihatethecold Thu 16-Jun-16 21:24:52

Bumping hopefully wink

Salmiak Thu 16-Jun-16 21:33:21

Nikki beach sunday brunch?

ihatethecold Fri 17-Jun-16 05:57:17

Tell me more Salmiak.
I am a complete Thailand novice

Noteventhebestdrummer Fri 17-Jun-16 06:33:29

You can drive up the mountain and look down on the forest - there are some little restaurants up there - we drank beer and watched the monkeys!

ScarletBegonia1234 Sat 18-Jun-16 17:36:43

You can buy mozzie repellent containing deet or citronella from any 7eleven (they are everywhere) so don't worry about that i would just bring one bottle and get more if you need it

MyFriendsCallMeOh Fri 24-Jun-16 20:17:43

Nikki Beach is good, drinking, DJs (pool has underwater sound system)and great food around the pool and people stay all day, depends if you and your kids are into that....

Definitely the marine park for snorkeling, avoid the tiger sanctuary, you might want to take in a cooking lesson (some chefs will take you through the market beforehand to buy your supplies, can be great fun), visit the big Buddha, waterfalls will be dry in July so not really worth the trek, 4WD jungle tours etc. There are elephant tours on Samui but not sanctuaries and they are just not very ethical in their treatment of animals so I would avoid personally. I love the Tamarind Springs spa with treatments in the jungle and steam room in natural granite caves, pure bliss. We normally stop along the road for food (little huts with best Thai food ever) but we know which ones are good and it's really difficult to explain in writing but worth trying some anyway. We take visitors to Krua Bophut in Bophut for Thai food, you can eat inside or outside on the beach. Light a lantern from a beach vendor afterwards and watch it fly away. Mostly just spend time on the beach (north coast has rougher sand and gentle water, east coast finer sand and rougher seas on a windy day. Take your time, everything happens eventually on Samui, esp in July which is very hot, have a fantastic holiday.

ihatethecold Tue 28-Jun-16 18:13:54

Where is Nicki beach?
Sounds fun.
We won't do anything to do with animals.
I still feel guilty for going to sea world 5 years ago.

Destinysdaughter Tue 28-Jun-16 18:17:29

Take a brolly, light rainwear, potentially lots of torrential rain in July!

Destinysdaughter Tue 28-Jun-16 18:20:02

I went to a Ladyboy show when I was there, was v entertaining! The night market was good too

ihatethecold Tue 28-Jun-16 18:20:23

I thought July was a drier month?

Destinysdaughter Tue 28-Jun-16 18:22:46

I was there in July a few years ago and it rained every day! Late afternoon/evening. Never seen rain or thunder like it...

Stopyourhavering Wed 06-Jul-16 17:26:30

We went with our 3 teenagers last year and they loved it so much my 19 yr old dd is back out there at this very moment with her bf!
We stayed in Anantara Bophut hotel which was amazing and so easy to walk into Fishermans village in evening- night market was great fun
The Happy Elephant restaurant in Fishermans village is very nice.....you can sit in side or or have a table on the beach.....
barracuda restaurant in Fishermans village was also brilliant....fushio cooking and for a fabulous chilled out cocktail on the beach go to Coco Tams bar in Fishermans village where you can sit on bean bags and watch a flame thrower show!
We did a cookery course from our hotel which was fab as we went to the local market as well to get food and cooked green curry, green mango salad...fab!
Boat trip to Marine reserve is a must..the limestone scenery and tiny islands are gorgeous we stopped on one for a traditional and delicious lunch.....take sea sickness tablets with you as it can be a bit bumpy.... Dd went to Khao Tao this year and it alsolooks fabulous
Avoid the elephant trekking- these animals are not well looked after
I would return in a heartbeat the people were so friendly !.... The island's airport is also fantastic!!
Have a brilliant holiday- we flew business class Emirates which was incredible!

ihatethecold Wed 06-Jul-16 20:23:49

Thanks.
That's great to read.
We are not far from the fisherman's village.
I will take note of your recommendations.

ihatethecold Wed 06-Jul-16 20:24:59

Wish we were going business class 😊

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now