Advanced search

China with a 1 year old

(5 Posts)
user1465849434 Mon 13-Jun-16 21:31:26

We are planning a trip to China for 3 weeks in the spring with our daughter who turns 1 in December.
Does anyone have any idea if will be best to take a pram or just a baby carrier? Also how about a car seat for travelling on buses and trains?
Also do hostels ever have cots?
Thanks for your help!

OP’s posts: |
Veterinari Mon 13-Jun-16 21:34:59

Hardly anyone in China uses prams (with a few exceptions in major cities). Access can sometimes be tricky and there's no way there would be space for a pram on the bus.

It's unusual for cars/taxis to have functional rear seat belts. Buses won't have seatbelt a either so securing a car seat will be tricky.

Take care with food. Food safety can be an issue

Rachel752 Mon 13-Jun-16 21:50:59

Thanks, travelled about quite a bit but never with a baby in tow!

ShanghaiDiva Tue 14-Jun-16 08:42:58

I live in China and the carrier would be easier than a pram. Also depending on where you are going your daughter may be the central attraction and it will be easier to shield her from very enthusiastic attention if you use the carrier.
Taxis seldom have back seat belts so as Vet says securing the car seat will be tricky.
Cots will be readily available in hotels, but not sure about hostels.
Food safety is an issue and if you are still using formula you will need to bring it with you. Imported long life milk is available in the big supermarkets - Auchan, Carrefour, BHG etc.
Would also make sure vaccinations are up to date and you may want to consider tetanus, hep A and B and typhoid - not sure if these are all age appropriate for your dd and what she may have had as part of the UK vaccination programme.

mummymeister Thu 16-Jun-16 11:33:54

I would check out the vaccination situation before booking anything OP as you might not really want to overload your baby with so many jabs. Personally I wouldn't but its a matter of choice. Have a look at the Fit for Travel website and urgently speak with your health centre/GP.

Confirm primary courses and boosters are up to date as recommended for life in Britain - including for example, vaccines required for occupational risk of exposure, lifestyle risks and underlying medical conditions.
Courses or boosters usually advised: Hepatitis A.
Other vaccines to consider: Cholera; Hepatitis B; Japanese Encephalitis; Rabies; Tetanus; Tick-borne Encephalitis; Typhoid.

To be honest if you are planning to go off road in terms of travel I would be seriously considering this with such a young baby. your choice though of course.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in