Talk

Advanced search

California heat in August and good airline for kids aged 13 and 9

(8 Posts)
CountryLovingGirl Fri 03-Jun-16 18:36:56

Hi,

We are off to Italy this August but next year we are thinking of America. We were thinking of Florida but it may be too hot. So, we are considering California as there are other things for us to do there as well as theme parks. DH will not tolerate being stuck in Disney for 2 weeks.
Both DH and myself have been to California before but never in August. Is it bearable (not as bad as Florida)?
And, as the flight is longer to CA, is there a super airline that is good with kids?

lljkk Fri 03-Jun-16 19:18:41

FA is horrible humid heat. CA is nice weather yr round as long as you are within 20 yrs of the ocean. There can be very hot spells (Santa Ana), but they are unusual & hard to predict not very predictable like FA is. Santa Ana is dry heat which is very different from FA humidity.

Disney is awful yr round in my recent experience, tbh!! very congested. Huge waste of money.

British Airways were kind and helpful with my children when I was ill.

lamandler Fri 03-Jun-16 19:28:23

We went to CA in August last year, San Francisco was much cooler than we expected, mornings foggy and freezing! Nice and warm in afternoon. LA was hotter so depends where you go. We didn't go inland, deserts will be (unsurprisingly) sweltering.

It's a huge place with loads of microclimates.

We flew virgin, good on way there, awful on return journey.

I realise I've added nothing here to help you make any decisions!

lljkk Fri 03-Jun-16 19:29:27

How old are your kids, OP?

lamandler Fri 03-Jun-16 19:31:06

Oh and we spent 2 days at Disney California which was great, it's v self contained and manageable, then spent a few days at Laguna beach to cool down at the end of the holiday.

Would love to go again!

CountryLovingGirl Sat 04-Jun-16 08:03:53

Kids will be 13 (boy) and 9 (girl) by Aug 17. The boy is very anti-Disney tbh - especially since he went to secondary school! I think he will love Universal Studios though.
We have been to San Francisco a few times and stayed with friends in Laguna (who live there - lucky them). I would like to go to both next year so we may look for somewhere in the middle. When DH and I used to go we would hire a car (at the airport) and we would stay in Best Western hotels/Motel 6's and travel around. We have seen a LOT of the western side of America. I don't think the kids would tolerate sitting in the car that long so I am trying to plan a holiday that will suit all of us.
I have just returned FT at work and our mortgage is finshed next year so I am desperate to go back to the USA. I was last there when pregnant with my eldest - we went to New England - and I was ill the entire time (very bad cold and pregnancy nausea returned).

My kids would LOVE the USA.

wannabestressfree Sat 04-Jun-16 08:05:47

So jealous sounds amazing...

GoudyStout Tue 07-Jun-16 13:50:32

You should get a good deal on a car rental if you book from the UK - we've used rentalcars.com and they were fine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now