What is Hawaii like for a family holiday

(23 Posts)
ridingsixwhitehorses Thu 02-Jun-16 00:21:01

I have got it into my head that j would like to go. Would need to do some saving for a few years first. But what is it like for a family holiday?

Quietattheback Thu 02-Jun-16 00:22:10

I don't know but watching with interest as I would love to go too.

Sukiesu Thu 02-Jun-16 00:33:26

I went to Hawaii many years ago on my own for a week. I went via LA for 3 days, then back from San Fransico for 4 days. I stayed at Wakiki beach & there was enough to do there for a week, I did an Island tour, a visit to a pineapple plantation & I seem to remember a zoo & a sea life centre. I also did a boat trip (think glass bottomed) of Pearl Harbour. It was fun watching the huge waves & surfers too. I believe the other islands are nice/er but I guess it would depend on your budget, to include extra flights. I went to Costa Rica two years ago & that was a great trip too, lots to do. Great beaches ,wildlife & trips to waterfalls etc. There are now direct flights from Heathrow rather than via USA.

EachandEveryone Thu 02-Jun-16 00:39:34

Would love to go but it seems so expensive and such along way to go, is it worth it?

Sukiesu Thu 02-Jun-16 00:53:00

It is nice there but it's not always sunny as it's quite mountainous. I got drenched on the beach a couple of times but they were just short showers. I guess you'd have to really look into the best time of year to go & how expensive the flights or a package tour is. I think I went with Thompsons. I enjoyed breaking up the journey by going to LA and San Fransisco too. I went to Universal Studios & Disney in LA & various Hollywood things, a tour, the Chinese theatre etc. There's loads to do in San Fransico for adults & children.

Northernlurker Thu 02-Jun-16 00:54:22

Dh went recently on a work 'prize' thing. I could have gone but didn't fancy the long trip or leaving the kids (one doing a levels) so he took his dad. They had a good time. It looks like an amazing place but it is a very, very long way. They did a boat trip, seeing whales, snorkelled, dfil kayaked, jungle walk with swimming in pools etc.

KickAssAngel Thu 02-Jun-16 00:57:51

I love it! Although we have friends who live there and we live on mainland US so not so much money for us. But still, we loved it.

We spent a week on the Big Island and stayed up the mountain near volcanoes - it rained every day. Then we went to Kawaii for a week and did beach/sunny stuff. Then we spent a couple of days in Honolulu. You do have to love sun and sea stuff, or walking up mountains.

So it's great, but I assume it would cost a whole load more for you.

Northernlurker Thu 02-Jun-16 01:01:33

Apparently there's a wet side of the mountain and a dry side

AttilaTheMeerkat Thu 02-Jun-16 07:50:53

The Hawaiian islands are a series of islands located about a six hour flight from the West Coast mainland of the USA (it is that remote).

Most people fly into Honolulu airport on Oahu (which is where Waikiki Beach is located) and spend their entire holiday there. Hotel prices on Oahu reflect demand and prices can be high particularly in the summer months.

Airbnb on Oahu is illegal as well.

Others use Hawaiian airlines (the only interisland carrier) to travel to the other islands like Kauai, Maui and the Big Island of Hawaii. All these islands are volcanic and very different in nature. Hawaii is the youngest island in the chain.

If you want to travel between islands do note that UK residents cannot book directly with the Hawaiian airlines website; you have to use their UK agent instead. A journey to these islands also cannot be done in one go; you will need to break the journey on the West Coast.

any other questions just ask

fakenamefornow Thu 02-Jun-16 07:58:37

How old are your children and are you in the UK? It seems an awfully long way to go for a beach holiday, especially with small children in tow.

I have been there but about 25 years ago, it was lovely but I was an adult with no children.

ridingsixwhitehorses Thu 02-Jun-16 10:49:11

Sounds amazing. My 3 kids are all under 6. It's just a pipe dream really as we spend about £2k on holidays a year. Maybe start saving now and DH and I can go when they leave home!

specialsubject Sat 04-Jun-16 12:54:29

If you just want a beach and 'activities' holiday, don't bother - Waikiki is Tenerife with warm murky water and a lot of social problems. If you want to see a live volcano - Tenerife has one too but the big island has real flowing lava if you strike lucky. Also a very tall mountain ( too high for under 16s), the waterworld hidden valley and many other natural wonders.

There are small planes flying between the islands too. Not for nervous flyers and you get weighed to determine where you sit.

dun1urkin Sat 04-Jun-16 13:00:43

We went to the Big Island a few years ago. Stayed for a week on the 'dry' side (Kona) and then a few days on the 'wet' side (Hilo)
It was one of the most amazing places I've ever been, would absolutely love to go again. Me and DH both have geography degrees and it's a geographer's paradise. Snorkelling and stargazing also superb. I would have loved it as a kid as much as I loved it as an adult.

VulcanWoman Sat 04-Jun-16 13:14:01

I liked it, Oahu is very Americanised, more than I expected. Would have liked to explore the other islands. Great with a stopover in San Francisco. The flight from California to the islands was much longer than I expected too, I should have done some more research, 5 hours I think grin

VulcanWoman Sat 04-Jun-16 13:16:30

I'd say it'll be a long haul literally with young children, I wouldn't envy you that.

AttilaTheMeerkat Sat 04-Jun-16 14:31:12

"There are small planes flying between the islands too. Not for nervous flyers and you get weighed to determine where you sit".

They do not use small planes any loner. Interisland flights are with Hawaiian Airlines and they use Boeing 717s.

ATR 42-500s are used to connecting Oahu with Molokai and Lanai islands.

mouldycheesefan Sat 04-Jun-16 14:34:31

I gr

mouldycheesefan Sat 04-Jun-16 14:37:22

I got a quote for a Hawaii holiday for family of four for this year. Including US stop offs it was £10k for flights and accommodation, no meals included. I imagine it's expensive when there. HTs was for 4 star hotel I doubt cheaper accommodation is available but I like a nice hotel on holiday. We didn't go, we went to Florida instead.

SirNiallDementia Sat 04-Jun-16 15:00:14

I've been to Oahu, I was expecting paradise/ tropical etc but found it very Americanized and full of American tourists. The jet- lag was horrendous!

However, my friend has been to some of the other islands and said they were lovely.

TBH there are lovely places closer to home and less expensive to travel to.

specialsubject Sun 05-Jun-16 09:49:13

I saw pacific wings had gone, but I found other commuter airlines .

Did aloha go bust too?

AttilaTheMeerkat Sun 05-Jun-16 15:31:40

Aloha went bust as well, they ceased trading in 2008. The main interisland carrier nowadays is Hawaiian Airlines.

specialsubject Sun 05-Jun-16 18:03:42

Thanks. Oh dear.

WilshireBoulevard Sun 05-Jun-16 18:14:29

I've been to hawaii quite a few times - I would recommend the Big Island for a family holiday. Google the Waikoloa Beach resort. It's amazing for kids with little trams and boats to take you round the extensive grounds. I prefer the Big Island to Oahu by far - so much amazing scenery including the volcano, rainforest and lava fields, some fascinating historical sites (look up Place of Refuge) and the most friendly people you could ever meet. It's not as beachy as the other islands but stunningly beautiful nonetheless. The flights from the UK do take a long time though and you need to stay the night somewhere en route, probably San Francisco. We've always combined our trips from the uk with several days somewhere else on the way back.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now