Talk

Advanced search

Australia flight prices ... July / August

(12 Posts)
rainbowmagic1974 Wed 01-Jun-16 19:56:19

I really want to go to Oz July / August 2017 as I have relatives in Sydney. Whilst we are there I'd like to see Uluru and the Great Barrier Reef.
I know it's too early to book flights yet, however I contacted a company who says they have accurate (as they can) prices for next summer. I nearly fainted when for 2 adults and 3 children they said flights alone (uk to Sydney to Cairns to Alice springs to Perth to home) would be £8700.
In your experience is this right? If it is I need to get my head around not being able to afford to go sad

Racmactac Wed 01-Jun-16 20:56:38

we are going august this year and have paid £550 for return flights to perth. Shop around and it is possible.

SavoyCabbage Wed 01-Jun-16 21:06:27

£1700 per person is quite steep. However, Perth is four hours closer to the uk and it's not such a tourist destination. Then you have another internal flight. Who are the flights with? It's cheaper to go with air China or Quatar than it is with Emirates or Singapore airlines. Same with the internal flights. There are cheaper and more pricey options.

rainbowmagic1974 Wed 01-Jun-16 21:55:29

Maybe I'll look at how we do it. We were quoted with either Singapore or Quantas. If we get flights over with one airline and then look for internals with the cheapest we can find. It's tricky as we have relatives in Sydney and Perth so need to do both. And I want us to do some sightseeing too if we 're going that far.

rainbowmagic1974 Wed 01-Jun-16 21:57:17

Racmactac how far in advance did you book?

FlowerOfTheWest Wed 01-Jun-16 22:09:28

Look at JetStar, TigerAir and Virgin Australia for internal flights, as well as Qantas, but you may be charged extra for baggage charges etc which will push the price up. I think if you shop around it will be possible to do it for cheaper than you have been quoted.

Racmactac Wed 01-Jun-16 22:12:26

6 weeks ago

Kirriemuir Thu 02-Jun-16 07:32:09

We go in 3 weeks. Flying Emirates but booked through qantas in the sale. 3 of us for £1800. Don't book the internal flights through an agent book yourself. As flower said, jetstar etc are fine for internal flights. Matched the flights like a ninja to get them. Check skycanner.

One thing I would say is that your trip plans are all over the place. How long are you planning your trip to be? It's 3.5 hour flight from Sydney to Uluru and just under that to cairns.

rainbowmagic1974 Thu 02-Jun-16 07:50:37

We have 2 options. Option 1 is 5 weeks (with my husband working in Sydney for 2 of those weeks) option 2 is 3 weeks ( no work!). Have mapped both out and they work time wise , although could be flexible in what order we do it all.

Kirriemuir Thu 02-Jun-16 21:20:41

Id say to do Sydney, Uluru and cairns you'd need 5 weeks with no work involved. I honestly think you should do Sydney plus one other. You'd end up being knackered and doing too much otherwise.

amicissimma Fri 03-Jun-16 16:08:40

Give Trailfinders a ring. They can be very good for this sort of trip. Oddly, they can often find you a deal with some accommodation (I assume you don't need it in Sydney) that is cheaper than just flights.

SavoyCabbage Fri 03-Jun-16 20:51:38

The distances are huge. It's like going to Portugal, Switzerland, Greece and Slovakia because you are going to Europe so you might as well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now