Talk

Advanced search

Travelling with a very active 7mo

(6 Posts)
lamingtonnutty Thu 26-May-16 10:30:17

That's it really! Any advice? We're travelling from Aus to the UK in a few weeks and I'm starting to get nervous. Any tricks, tips of general advice?

QuietlyPondering Thu 26-May-16 10:36:40

We flew UK to Canada (three flights) when our little one was 7 months. He also was very active, we walked up and down those plane aisles so many times. We bought him some new toys to entertain him. We also found other passengers and the air crew were extremely accommodating which made the travelling much easier and less stressful. We were given bulkhead seats which came with a sky cot and found we were always sat next to another family with a baby which seemed to help entertain our son.

Captainladder Thu 26-May-16 10:54:50

Just try and go with the flow of what your LO wants to do! The less expectations you have the better. I found once I'd adjusted my mindset to be one of it won't last forever and I'm just going to assume the role of child entertainer it was fine. Rescue remedy helped, and I fed mine on take off and landing which helped with ear pressure pain. I always took lots of snacks and a special treaty thing for myself :-) good luck!

Anonsad Thu 26-May-16 14:18:18

I travelled the other way (UK to NZ) and I had a super active 7mo boy. He started walking in NZ and both ways he was actually content sitting on my lap. I think the different environment meant he was extra clingy and he did understand that he had to sit on my lap.

Definitely take snacks, and we had an app for him to play if he got fussy during take-off/ landing when we couldn't move from our seats.

I'm not sure if I would do this, but the couple next to us gave their daughter an antihistamine and she slept massively.(Annoyingly they both took sleeping pills themselves, so I spent all the flight not just looking after my own lo but watching theirs too, as I was super paranoid she would climb out of the cot or wrap herself up in blankets)

lamingtonnutty Fri 27-May-16 06:12:42

Awesome advice ladies, thanks! Definitely reassured me that we will survive!

carrioke Wed 22-Jun-16 15:19:49

You will definitely survive- hope I'm not too late, but many airports have play areas. My top tip is to actually board last with your LO, but have you partner board first with all the baby gear. There is no point in keeping them on the plane waiting for everyone else, especially on a long haul flight. Australia has some great play areas if I recall? At least in MEL and ADL

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now