Is Florida in August too Hot?

(54 Posts)
al88 Sun 22-May-16 12:31:38

We're planning a Disney holiday for 2017 and between school, work and finances it looks like we may have to go in August.
I'm really worried about the heat. Average temps of 33 scare me tbh and I'd much rather go at Easter. All of us burn easily and I'm worried the heat affect our enjoyment.
Has anyone been in August and found it ok? Particularly if you are like me and not a 'hot weather' person?

oldestmumaintheworld Sun 22-May-16 12:38:34

Not only very hot, but also extremely humid. To top it all it's also hurricane season, so no, don't go in August. Easter is nice though.

I go to Florida every year to visit family members and always go in October half term or at Easter. We all burn like lobsters and do not cope well with hot weather.

Tequilamockinbird Sun 22-May-16 12:39:08

I haven't been to Florida but have been to US in 33+ heat. It's not just the direct heat from the sun that you have to take into account though, it's the humidity which can zap all of your energy.

I imagine Florida will be humid but not 100% sure. You should check it out. I can't imagine theme parks will be much fun whilst pouring with sweat and with 0 energy!

Tequilamockinbird Sun 22-May-16 12:40:03

X posted

dudsville Sun 22-May-16 12:40:19

Yes, hot, humid, and it will rain every afternoon and after the rain it will be worse, not better.

BeaArthursUnderpants Sun 22-May-16 12:42:39

I am American. Florida in August is a nightmare. Sweltering and humid to the point where you feel like you can't even breathe. Almost every afternoon there's a thunderstorm and you think it's going to cool things off but it doesn't. You're also starting to run into possible hurricane season, which could throw a wrench into your whole trip. I honestly wouldn't do Disney in August if you can possibly avoid it. Easter, on the other hand, would be lovely. Still hot, but bearable.

Lightbulbon Sun 22-May-16 12:46:28

I wouldn't do it.

My experience (not August but summer) was wearying humidity and an hour of very (soaked through clothes) heavy rain for an hour every day at 3pm.

Inside its fine because the parks' air con is great but I wouldn't go then if you were planning on being outside a lot.

LetThereBeCupcakes Sun 22-May-16 12:50:30

Could you stretch to california in August? Still very hot but it's so dry it's really not too bad. We did LA and San Diego in August and it was lovely - and I usually hate the heat.

mummytime Sun 22-May-16 12:51:15

We did it a few years ago. We survived fine and had a goor time.
Key things: it is hot but more importantly very humid.
They key is to walk slowly, don 't rush.
Drink lots of fluids (Disney stands will give you free ice water).
We stayed very close (but not on Disney property). And would go in early, do stuff, then often left by or soon after midday. Then napped at the Villa, swam and chilled. Then might do something in the evening.
We also rotated active days with more chilled ones.
You can't be swimming in thunder storms, the water parks will empty during them. The were thunderstorms every day.
Have a choice of footwear, sometimes trainers and socks are far better than sandals.
Make the most of air con

al88 Sun 22-May-16 12:59:58

Thanks for the replies - quite unanimous! I didn't even think of the humidity.
We're planning on staying at a Disney hotel so would be able to get to the parked very early and then chill out in the afternoons.

originalmavis Sun 22-May-16 13:02:20

I've got family out there and even they get out at that time of year. We were going to visit last summer and they all said 'don't do it!'. It's supposedly just horrible outside.

Branleuse Sun 22-May-16 13:05:06

maybe the paris or california disney would be better for august.

No point going all that way if its completely the wrong season to enjoy it

al88 Sun 22-May-16 13:05:19

Might have to consider the DDs missing the very end of term. Are the last couple of weeks of July any better?

DoreenLethal Sun 22-May-16 13:06:49

October in Florida was hot enough. Let alone August.

We got drenched at a waterslide in October. 10 minutes in the next queue we were bone dry.

lcoc2015 Sun 22-May-16 13:07:30

October is lovely in florida so maybe half term?

Branleuse Sun 22-May-16 13:12:44

going by my very quick google, july is the same

mummytime Sun 22-May-16 13:13:12

It's actually best at the end of August as the US school children are starting to go back to school so the parks are less crowded.

al88 Sun 22-May-16 13:13:29

I hadn't really considered half term as I'd wanted to go for two weeks. We won't have saved enough to go this October and DD1 will be in Y6 in Oct 2017 - I'm not sure if it's a good idea for her to miss a week of school at that point.
Easter 2017 isn't impossible, DH has to get special permission for that time off and it's quite likely his boss may say no.

Hiddlesnake Sun 22-May-16 13:13:56

We're going this August. Only time the family could all get together. Oh well, I'm sure we'll have a good time whatever!

al88 Sun 22-May-16 13:17:39

I'm sure you will Hiddensnake. And Mummytime had some good tips for coping with the heat.

al88 Sun 22-May-16 13:18:49

Sorry- Hiddlesnake!

GoldPlatedBacon Sun 22-May-16 13:20:38

My advice is the same as mummytime. I went the last week of August /first week of September and it was very hot. I think average was around 35 degrees. We went to the parks early then hung out at our hotel or went shopping in the afternoon. Sometimes we'd had back to the parks in the evening otherwise we'd play crazy golf on international drive as they were excellent but far too hot to play during the day.

The queues for rides had a lot of shade, water mist and fans so they weren't too bad and the air con was really high inside shops. I use to have to carry a a cardigan in my bag because I'd freeze inside.

There was a hurricane when we were there and we had to leave a waterpark early due to a thunderstorm but overall it was fine.

My advice for Disney anyway irrespective of the weather is to alternate busy days with chilling out days at waterpark.

AndNowItsSeven Sun 22-May-16 13:22:45

There is no such think as too hot, I have lived in the South of the US 115 degrees and humid. I hate the cold.

InTheSandPit Sun 22-May-16 13:24:35

33 can be fine.
33 in a humid Florida will not be great. I know a family who do Disney every year, when the fines for extending Easter holidays hit, they went in the summer, and have gone back several times.
By, it's 39 here today, and I wouldn't do it.

EvilTwins Sun 22-May-16 13:25:59

We went in August a couple of years ago. I am not good with heat, but I coped fine. In fact, Rome last August was more unpleasant - I felt sick with the heat every day, but Florida (at least, Disney) was set to to anticipate this - lots of water spray/air con, covered queuing areas (not so in Rome!)

We stayed close, but not a Disney property, and did what a previous poster did - up early went to the parks, back home in the afternoon, relax/nap/swim, then out again in the evenings. We had a fantastic time.

We had to leave one of the water parks because of a thunder storm, but that was OK because everything is close and we had tickets we could use again and again, it made no difference.

It's a long way to go for half term.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now