Talk

Advanced search

Uganda anyone

(7 Posts)
gabsdot Thu 19-May-16 12:19:33

A friend of ours has invited us to go to Uganda to stay with her family on their farm.
DH and I went to Kenya before we had the kids and so we'd love to go back to Africa. We're thinking about going next year so out kids will be 10 and 13 by then.
Has anyone been there. Any thoughts or suggestions.

Vaara Thu 19-May-16 12:35:25

If you're staying with a friend I think it would be great.

I was there a while ago (ten years) but it had a very different feel to Kenya. Much poorer although in the bigger cities you still get the odd mall etc. Food is typically African, people are friendly, countryside is stunning!

Where do they live? There's loads to see around Lake Victoria, some rafting and other sporty stuff, and in the mountains nearer Burundi and Rwanda you've got the mountain gorillas, that whole area is so wild and untamed, it's amazing.

I think your kids are well of the age to appreciate it too. I would go for it if I were you.

Make sure you get your jabs!

gabsdot Thu 19-May-16 13:30:32

Thanks so much. I'm not sure where they live, near the Rwandan's border I think.
We would definitely want to see a lot of the countryside and wild life.

Alasalas2 Thu 19-May-16 13:33:53

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Vaara Thu 19-May-16 17:54:35

I saw the gorillas at Bwindi Impenetrable Forest. It was very very hard work (trekking in the jungle) but so worth it

SJane45S Fri 20-May-16 15:39:29

Alasalas2, I'm biased as I lived there as a child and have seen most of the country but Kenya 'meh' really??!!! Have you actually driven through the Rift Valley? Been up in the rainforests on Mount Kenya? Sat fishing on a boat on Lake Naivasha keeping an eye out for interested hippo's? Explored Mombasa's history as well as its spectacular beaches? Watched the animals gather from a hide at dawn in Voi? Walked on pink Lake Magadi watching 100's of flamingo's? I could go on and on but need to stop before I start foaming at the mouth. Basically, I beg to disagree! Can't comment on Uganda as it was a place people were escaping from rather than too when I was a kid but much has changed since and sounds beautiful.

Alasalas2 Fri 20-May-16 16:15:46

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now