Advanced search

Entry to USA with criminal record.....and visa question

(9 Posts)
bramblina Fri 29-Apr-16 23:23:51

Do you know what kind of criminal records are allowed in and what is not? I've tried Googling but I'm not getting anywhere.
Also, what IS a visa? How/where/when and why do I obtain one? We went to USA once while we were in Canda, travelled by car, just filled in a form (I think, it was 10 years ago) at the border, they stuck a wee sheet in our passports which we surrendered on our way out. Probably paid a little bit. But if we are flying from here, when/how do you get one? I've only ever flown package within Europe other than Canada. I just don't quite understand it. In fact, I totally don't get it.


OP’s posts: |
SarahVineTory Fri 29-Apr-16 23:25:38

Cheryl Cole and others seem to enter ok.

HRHsherlockssextoy Fri 29-Apr-16 23:31:10

Useful info on American embassy site

SuburbanRhonda Fri 29-Apr-16 23:33:15

Don't you just need an ESTA? You can do it online.

HarrietSchulenberg Sat 30-Apr-16 00:21:47

Depends on the type of conviction but an automatic ESTA won't be possible. There's good adice on both the US Embassy and police websites (google the conviction and "travel to America").

It might be possible to gain entry if you can prove that you are now of good character ("moral turpitude" is the terminology), and I gather that you do this via an interview at the London embassy.

I know this as I've had to research in relation to ds1 sad.

AttilaTheMeerkat Sat 30-Apr-16 08:13:34

Normally an interview for a visa at the US embassy is needed if a person has been arrested and or charged.

The visa waiver scheme (that was free) that you describe was replaced by the ESTA some years back.

IceMaiden73 Sat 30-Apr-16 08:36:07

I believe you will need to have an interview at the US Embassy - they will review your case and if you are accepted they will put a visa in your passport that will allow entry for a period of time

Thatrabbittrickedme Sat 30-Apr-16 16:23:46

If you are going on holiday, you need an ESTA which you complete and pay for online and a few days later you get confirmation you are ok to travel. Lasts for multiple visits over a year or two. We crossed the border at Toronto airport a few weeks ago - it was a bit hellish and took 3 hours

I have no experience with the conviction thing though....

If you are applying for work visas then it's an application process which includes interview at the embassy

bramblina Wed 04-May-16 11:47:12

Thank you all, I will look in to all the information you have given me. Much appreciated!

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in