Talk

Advanced search

Hotel recommendations for New York

(15 Posts)
pinkbraces Wed 27-Apr-16 16:18:12

There are some great threads running on itineraries but I wonder if anyone can help me find a hotel for me and two DD's, 21 and 19. We are going for five or six days at the end of August. DD1 is working as a leader for Camp America and then doing some travelling, we are meeting her in New York.

Clean is a must anything else a bonus smile and the less we spend on a hotel the more we have to shop with grin

AttilaTheMeerkat Wed 27-Apr-16 16:44:52

The problem here is that NYC is expensive for accommodation anyway; it receives a lot of visitors from all over the world and August is also a peak time. Prices reflect demand. How much ideally are you looking to spend per night?.

I would look at chains like the Marriott, Holiday Inn and Sofitel and consider too the area you want to stay in. Presumably you would like to stay in Manhattan.

Out2pasture Wed 27-Apr-16 16:53:52

Stayed at the W hotel downtown location. I liked the clean modern decor....no bedbugs.
Across the street from the 9-11 memorial and very close to Trinity church (nick cage movie National Treasure) but more importantly a hop on hop off bus stop.

conkerpods Wed 27-Apr-16 20:33:59

I like the W hotels too.
DP and I are going in May and staying at the Crowne Plaza near Times Sq.

almondfinger Wed 27-Apr-16 21:18:36

We've just come back from a long weekend and stayed in the Leon in Chinatown. Was fab, has no lobby to speak of. The rooms are spotless as are all corridors. The beds are so comfy!

We could walk everywhere - Chinatown, Bowry, SoHo, NoHo, The Village, east and west. There is the B and I think C or D train around the corner which took us st up to Columbus circle and the Park.

I would recommend it highly.

pinkbraces Wed 27-Apr-16 22:59:56

thanks everyone. Budget is about £150 -£225 per night.

originalmavis Wed 27-Apr-16 23:01:43

Do you reckon you can share a room? We stayed at the Park Lane overlooking central Park and it was briliant.

pinkbraces Wed 27-Apr-16 23:37:29

We will definitely share a room, it's lots more fun. Will look at Park Lane.

OutToGetYou Wed 27-Apr-16 23:41:57

We stayed at RowNYC, it was fine and pretty good value, near Times Square.

bluespiral Wed 27-Apr-16 23:43:33

Consider staying out of Manhattan to get a lot more for your money.

We stayed at the country inn and suites in Long Island City and it was fab. Big room, breakfast included and a view of Manhattan over the water. It's about a 2 min walk from a main subway station and you're in midtown Manhattan in about 10 mins.

GingerAndTheBiscuits Wed 27-Apr-16 23:45:42

www.fitzpatrickhotels.com/fitzpatrick-manhattan.shtml

We stayed there a few years ago, no complaints!

Shufflerlimpet Tue 24-May-16 21:33:37

We recently stayed at the Intercontinental Times Square. It's in a great location (lots of good diners, restaurants and bars nearby) and its easy to walk to all of the main attractions from there. The rooms are a great size for New York and Voyage Prive has a good deal on it at the moment ( we had this deal and got a huge suite with floor to ceiling Windows on 3 sides - amazing views!!)

andadietcoke Tue 24-May-16 21:42:59

The Pearl's rooms are big for Manhattan - I shared with my mum and we had two double beds and still loads of room. They do free wine in the evenings and a free continental breakfast too which is unusual for New York.

Try Hotwire or Priceline for good deals on secret hotels. There are sites which help you guess where you're booking which are very good too.

MyFriendsCallMeOh Sat 28-May-16 00:06:46

Stayed at the Lucerne on the upper west side last year, an older hotel but immaculately clean, bigger rooms, great service and close to Central Park. Also stayed at the Conrad near battery park, more modern and good location for ground zero, Statue of Liberty ferry etc.

luellabelle Tue 31-May-16 02:18:32

Try The Ace in midtown. It's unbelievably hip, perfect for that age and location is brilliant.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now