Taking a 9 month old to Disney World Orlando!?

(14 Posts)
Helgathehairy Tue 26-Apr-16 09:50:53

Anyone taken a baby that young??

It wasn't the plan. We decided to book when the free dining deal came out and take DD who will be 4. I did a test yesterday and it's positive. If everything works out (I've had previous miscarriages so I know there's no guarantees) baby will be 9/10 months.

We've taken DD to New York when she was 9 months so it's more the heat (we'll be going end sept/start October) and what exactly baby can do I'm worried about!

We've booked (well, pre registered) for a one bed villa at Old Key West because BIL is meeting us there. He lives in the New York. The rooms are the largest on property so at least I don't have that to worry about.

Any advice or tips? Or am I crazy!

Roseberrry Tue 26-Apr-16 12:46:22

It'll be hard but at least the baby will be young enough to sit happily in a pushchair, it would be much harder with a toddler!

tinkerbell9188 Thu 28-Apr-16 15:54:17

I was in this same predicament a few years ago - booked Disney June 2013 for October 2014 and ended up discovering I was pregnant a few days later!! We ended up going with our (then) 3 year old and new baby boy who was 8 months - and stayed in a 2 bed a OKW!

to be honest we didn't find having a baby with us too difficult. If there is no height restriction or health warnings, you can take baby onto the rides with you (they will find colours/music mesmerising!) And there is a baby centre in every park filled with food/nappies etc...along with a "quiet room" which is perfect if you need some down time!

To cope with the heat we brought a fan that attaches to the buggy to keep both kids cool, and spent most of the mid day period inside or in the shade and he coped remarkably well

I would also recommend into looking into hiring a double buggy (assuming you won't be purchasing one given DD is 4!) There is so much walking its quite handy to have somewhere for both kids to sit and rest/nap in the shade. We hired one on our last trip and will probably do so again when we go back in 2017, even though kids will be 6 and 4!

www.maximisethemagic.com/review/pre-review-kingdom-strollers/

Taking a baby was great fun at that age - he could recognise some characters like Mickey and went bananas when we met him! He'll have no memory of it but for me and DH the memories are priceless!!

Karoleann Thu 28-Apr-16 22:24:05

Your DD will absolutely love it! We've just taken DD(4) to Orlando and she absolutely adored everything. And the fact that your new baby sill be so small will mean everything is geared to your DD! The new baby won't cost anything and will maybe be a bit whingey at times, but 9mo is baby heaven and he/she will just sit in its buggy looking at stuff...
We booked cinderella's castle for lunch and saw Ariel, Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, Jamine, etc....we went on dumbo again and again and its all very magical.

I have two older boys and we had to split up as they were not interested in the princess bit.

It will be lovely xx

Helgathehairy Fri 29-Apr-16 14:21:35

I'm sooo excited it's not funny.

tinkerbell how did you find OKW. We booked it for the room size. Can you buy nappies on property. We were thinking of doing a garden grocer order.

We're thinking of taking our buggy and baby carrier (ergo) so when DD gets tired she can go in buggy and baby in carrier.

There's a thread over in chat or AIBU where parents are taking their 4 year old to Disneyland Paris and leaving their 10 month old at home. And the general concensus is that's the best idea as a 10 month old would be really really difficult and it would be crazy to take them. I started worrying a bit at that!

JoyofSpring Sun 01-May-16 21:06:30

I hope it will be fine... As we are in the same boat! Going this summer when it will be about a million degrees hot with a 3 year old and a 7.5 month old. Crazy? Probably! But I'm determined to enjoy it. Am currently shopping for sun hats...

thisagain Thu 05-May-16 06:47:47

I went 5 years ago with an 10/11 month old! Had planned to go in the October but then found I was pregnant - total surprise as youngest was 8 and I was 40. Re-scheduled for the following year when baby was 10/11 months old. We found him really easy to be honest and he slept brilliantly at night because so tired from the day. Def take buggy for the older child. I am going back in 9'days and will be taking a buggy for my now 5 year old. He hasn't actually used his buggy for 1-2 years at home, but the days there are long with lots of walking and evening shows so it is totally different. We bought nappies from their supermarkets and. We took lots of ready made milk cartons from the uk for ease and also powder just in case. However, the cartons ran out, we bought some American ready made baby milk. This was a big mistake and caused terrible diarrhoea. This was our only problem with him and was put right within a few days of stopping the milk.

With regard to rides, we took him on loads of rides without height restrictions, and did a child swap at the others. My son fell asleep every time he went on a boat ride (like it's a small ride), as so cool, dark and the movement.

Piratepete1 Thu 05-May-16 06:57:09

I have spent one holiday a year since I was about 6 at Disney Orlando and still go yearly as my parents have a place up there. I have 2 very young children. It is an absolute no to the baby carrier. You will both be ringing with sweat after 10 minutes and that's at 8 o clock in the morning. Don't do it. A carrier through the airport is fab, just not around the parks. When you get there hire a double buggy. Trust me, your 4 year old will need it as you can easily walk 10 miles a day. The best one is a double city baby jogger - huge hoods and air vents to keep cool, reclines separately. You will be glad of it when you want to stay and watch the fireworks at 9pm and then have a long walk back to the entrance with 4 year old asleep. We always find hiring a car better than the Disney transport as it's a pain getting buggies on and off. Get there an hour before opening to be at the gates 30 mins before opening. Have breakfast/snacks/drinks waiting to go in. You'll be ready to go home after lunch when it's at its hottest. Then just go some evenings to see the fireworks. You have to pace yourself and take it easy even with a 4 year old.

Piratepete1 Thu 05-May-16 06:57:58

And it's definitely easier to do it with a baby than a toddler who just wants to be out of his buggy toddling everywhere. You'll be fine.

Piratepete1 Thu 05-May-16 06:58:32

And yes to the PP to 2 battery powered fans on the buggy, one for each child.

Piratepete1 Thu 05-May-16 07:02:59

The baby will be able to go on most of the rides the 4 year old wants to, if she's not a dare devil. The baby carrier is useful to pop under the buggy as you can't take the buggy into some queues but most queues are under cover and air conditioned so a carrier would be fine then. If the baby was asleep I just found an air conditioned coffee place to sit and wait while DH took DD on the ride. Trust me, having a double buggy is no more difficult than a single around the parks, and it's great to hold all your gear. Do not hire a buggy from the parks as they are not suitable for a baby so young and are made of hard plastic with no recline.

Piratepete1 Thu 05-May-16 07:06:02

Sorry about all the messages but things keep coming to me. My 2 wear long sleeved and long legged sun suits at the parks - best place to get them is Marks and Spencers. They cover everything so less places to suncream and are so thin they are nice and cool.

Helgathehairy Thu 05-May-16 08:41:58

Thanks so much all.

pirate that's a good point about the heat and the carrier.

Milk hopefully won't be a problem. I as still breastfeeding DD at that age.

alice298 Thu 05-May-16 08:45:45

You can order from Amazon to be delivered to your accommodation as well..., we ordered everything like nappies and cream and wipes etc etc to save hauling it out from UK.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now