Florida keys/Miami- advice please !

(9 Posts)
lloydjam Fri 22-Apr-16 12:07:26

HI, thinking about a 10 day trip next year, beginning of July with husband and 2 girls (17 and 16) any advice on what keys to visit, things to do would be gratefully received thank you !

mummymeister Fri 22-Apr-16 20:06:13

we stayed at Islamorada and we really enjoyed it. you can drive down to key west in about an hour and a half but equally you can go inland to the everglades. we found plenty to do but we like watersports, being outside, walking around etc. definitely do a canoe trip into the everglades if you can. if I went again and had 10 days I would do it as a 2 centre holiday - 6 days on the key and 4 on the mainland.

Westcountrygemini Sat 23-Apr-16 05:17:51

I'm in Key West at the moment grin

With girls that age, I think Key West could be ideal as theres a lot to keep them entertained as well as you. Miami also great.

Agree with pp, Islamorada is lovely (have stayed there before) but imo it could be a little dull for teens.

Ive been surprised at how busy it is here though, especially at the weekends - and apparently this is quiet season. It must be bonkers in high season which I suspect July would be counted as. Given this, I'd be tempted to split the trip, overnight or a few says in Miami after you land, come down to Key West mon thru fri and then back to Miami for the rest of the time.

ihatethecold Sun 24-Apr-16 17:04:14

Op, if you going to the Florida Keys for a holiday watch Bloodlines on Netflix.
The scenery is great as is the series.
I'd love to go there one day

SJane45S Wed 27-Apr-16 16:28:55

Agree with WestCountryGemini - mix Miami with Key West. A trip out on the Everglades on an airboat is worth doing too.

CoffeeCoffeeAndLotsOfIt Wed 27-Apr-16 17:52:37

I've done the same holiday - for ten days total. Split 5 days Miami and 5 days on the keys. We stayed in Marathon, but I'm sure there are nicer ones. Went down to key west for the day on public transport, which was gorgeous.

Everglades is worth a trip.

We also sailed to the Bahamas on a day trip from Fort Lauderdale.

PatriciaHolm Thu 28-Apr-16 22:25:33

We did Islamorada too - loved it.

Lookingagain Thu 28-Apr-16 22:31:31

If "The World Famous Tiki Bar" is still on Islamorada, they would probably like that. Key West and South Beach in Miami are places with good nightlife for adults. Your girls are old enough to be interested, but not old enough to legally drink or enter certain establishments so it is a bit tricky. The beach is great for everyone though!

ingeniousidiot Tue 03-May-16 22:29:10

July will be quieter than it is now - the Florida 'high season' is November til the start of April (when the rest of the states are cooler). We were there at Easter - stayed at Florida City at the bottom of Miami - the Keys at Easter are expensive! We had the best day at Bahia Honda park where you can swim in the Atlantic and Gulf of Mexico on the same afternoon. We also went snorkelling from the beach at Harry Harris park and did a glass bottomed boat trip from John Pennecamp. We loved it.

We didn't go as far as Key West - Bahia Honda got us over the Seven Mile Bridge - as the boys aren't old enough for all that Key West offers! And don't forget to stop at Robbies (I think on Islamorda) and feed the tarpon - it's a must do - as are the shakes from the Key Lime Café!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now