Talk

Advanced search

Florida without Disney

(6 Posts)
clemetteattlee Fri 22-Apr-16 11:32:51

Hi, I was hoping someone could advise.
We would like to go to the States next year (? Easter ) and were thinking about Florida. Ideally we would like to go for a "two-centre" trip 1) to do the Harry Potter studios and one of the big water parks 2) then to go somewhere slightly calmer by the coast.
But we are a bit clueless as to where to start?!? Has anyone planned a trip like this and how did you go about it?
Thanks in advance

Karenhibbert2 Fri 29-Apr-16 14:28:15

Hi,
I have been to Florida loads of times, so think I could give you a bit of advice, Im actually due to fly their in 3 weeks!.

Universal is great, you don't just have the Harry Potter at Universal, there are many other rides and attractions, there are going to be 2 new rides next year, one in Studios and in Islands of Adventure. Universal. It will take you probably a day each, full on to get round both parks. We usually take 3-4 days to do Universal. The waterparks you mention, do you know which one you would like to do?

There is Aquatica, Blizzard Beach, Typoon Lagon, the Legoland Waterpark and the New Universal one might be open by the time you go next year. There is lots to do.

If you want to do calmer in the 2nd week, I could suggest Clearwater/St Petersburg which is the west coast, but I must warn you it's where people go to retire so not really much to do.

Miami is a little bit further to travel (aprox 3 hours from Orlando) but South Beach is busy or you can stay in Fort Lauderdale (again Retirement place) a bit north from Miami.

My Husband and I did Miami for 4 nights which was great but busy, We also stayed in St Petersburg for 3 nights, but this was not our cup of tea, again very quite at night.

You could always spend a day at the beach if you want a bit calmer time, Coco beach/Daytona is an hours drive from Orlando.

Hope this has helped

GottaGetThisDone Fri 29-Apr-16 22:16:03

Oooooo I shall be interested in any tips or advice too.
DH doesn't fancy Florida and all the parks - my DS1 is currently there and is planning several parks in as many days (bue he is early 20s we are late 40s and early 60s lol) and DH says he can think of nothing worse, 2-3 days of park max would be his max. As i would LOVE to do Florida I would be happy to do a couple parks and then something else as compromise........need ideas and info to present to DH smile

GlitteryShoes Fri 29-Apr-16 22:26:16

Clearwater is gorgeous. We stayed at a hotel right on the beach, watched Dolphins from the balcony over breakfast and swam in the warm water. Fabulous restaurants too!

ingeniousidiot Tue 03-May-16 22:19:16

If you're going for two weeks with easter in the middle, then I would recommend doing the coast first as the parks will be quieter after the easter weekend.

We 've been to Florida a few times at Easter and only ever spend a few days in Orlando. Driving is so much easier there than here. I book flights & car hire as soon as they're released (about 11 months before). Then look for accommodation closer to the time of travel (don't forget to use quidco etc for cashback). There's a site called the Dibb which has a lot/too much information about Florida holidays, so you might get a few tips/overwhelmed with information, there.

Groovee Tue 03-May-16 22:21:37

Sarasota is lovely with lots to do.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now