Talk

Advanced search

longest with toddler?

(14 Posts)
sulalovesbing Sat 16-Apr-16 21:27:02

What's the longest flight you've done with a toddler?

I'm thinking uk to Tampa for Disney them on to Hawaii. Then Hawaii to uk again with a 3 year old. Too much? Or if there is enough time between flights (eg. Minimum a week) then it's ok?

NotWithoutMyMerkin Sat 16-Apr-16 21:30:59

12 hours, with a 9 month old and again when she was 20 months. Night flight better than day flight but both fine

sulalovesbing Sun 17-Apr-16 07:31:07

Thanks. I think I'm overthinking it.

AttilaTheMeerkat Sun 17-Apr-16 09:04:48

I think you will find there are no flights operating between Tampa and the Hawaiian Islands so you will need to look at different routings.

What you would need to do is fly to one of the West Coast cities (e.g San Francisco or LA) and board a plane to Honolulu from there. That particular flight time is around 6 hours.

The Islands to the UK will have to be travelled over two flights; namely one to the West Coast and a further one back to the UK.

specialsubject Sun 17-Apr-16 15:51:14

Unless Disney is for you, don't bother - kid too young. Hawaii from the east coast is a long way. Of course Hawaii is a long way from anywhere!

iseenodust Sun 17-Apr-16 15:56:28

Hawaii back to UK is a long journey if you are not breaking it up again for a few days again. I did it with just a change of planes in LA before DC and was knackered. We did UK to California when DS was a toddler and that went surprisingly well.

sulalovesbing Sun 17-Apr-16 16:57:48

I'm thinking we might go to Disney in California. So..

U.K. To lax
Lax to Hawaii
Hawaii to San Fran
San Fran to uk

Hopefully this will break up the flights a bit!!

sulalovesbing Sun 17-Apr-16 16:58:00

I'm thinking we might go to Disney in California. So..

U.K. To lax
Lax to Hawaii
Hawaii to San Fran
San Fran to uk

Hopefully this will break up the flights a bit!!

AttilaTheMeerkat Sun 17-Apr-16 18:59:52

I have done this routing previously. UK to LAX and LAX to Honolulu will need to be done over two days (flight connections do not fit). UK to LAX will be around 11 hours in duration and LAX to Honolulu on Oahu will take another six (with a three hour time difference).

It will also cost a lot more to fly back to a different west coast airport than the one you departed from. Those flights from the Islands tend to leave at lunchtime getting into the west coast at around 9.00pm onwards (6 hour flight plus three hour time difference). You will need to look at either using American Airlines or United for those particular flights.

Kirriemuir Mon 18-Apr-16 12:46:53

Australia. We've been doing it since DS was 5 months old.

KP86 Mon 18-Apr-16 12:49:53

Longest in one hit was 14 hours, and he was 19 months at the time. It was as bearable as you'd expect but everyone survived and it's quickly forgotten.

I do agree that Disney for a kid under 7 or 8 is too young. It's a really long few days to get to see all the attractions and you might have a lot of disappointment when they aren't tall enough for some of the bigger rides.

SJane45S Mon 18-Apr-16 17:06:55

14 hours to Trinidad, changing planes in Tobago with a six months year old. It was hell on the way out as she was on my lap. On the way back she was in a bassinet so better. However we had a great holiday with the ex's family and to be honest, the memory of the bloody awful journey soon faded. Sounds a great holiday - I'd probably go for it if it was me! Not been to Disney in the States, if it is comparable to Paris then we took a 6 year old and while there were rides she couldn't go on, there was lots she could and she had a magical time!

carrioke Wed 22-Jun-16 15:23:18

24 hours with a 4 year old and 12 month old and many with just the one child. Definitely start with a night flight! We've also broken up our journey to and from the UK- Australia and found a couple of days have really helped too. Enjoy.

slug Wed 22-Jun-16 16:04:33

London to NZ with an 18 month old.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now