Visiting LA - should I stay in Santa Monica or one of the LA neighbourhoods?

(8 Posts)
ladylouanne Fri 15-Apr-16 22:49:24

I'll be there in July with teenage DD staying 5 nights before heading elsewhere.

I'd taken a fancy to staying Santa Monica and hiring a car to drive into other parts of the city, however hotels are very expensive there. Are they worth it?

Any tips welcome, thanks

Costacoffeeplease Fri 15-Apr-16 23:02:28

Santa Monica isn't that close to LA really so if you want to do the studios, rodeo drive, walk of fame etc I'd stay in LA. Santa Monica is nice for a break from the city but I wouldn't make it my base for the tourist stuff

Costacoffeeplease Fri 15-Apr-16 23:03:58

Can you do 3 nights LA and 2 Santa Monica?

0phelia Fri 15-Apr-16 23:09:34

Venice Beach is gorgeous. You might be able to find an Air BnB or cheap hotel near there. Manhattan Beach also.
Topanga is definitely worth a visit, but not to stay.

Santa Monica is really not far from LA at all! A short drive. You can easily stay there and visit Venice Beach, Sunset blvd etc if you want.

Make sure to visit Malibu too while you're there!

ladylouanne Fri 15-Apr-16 23:13:15

Great ideas everyone, thanks for your quick responses.

I'm tempted by the idea of being by the coast and being able to watch the sun go down in the evening. However, I hadn't thought about splitting the stay, which is another idea.

Costacoffeeplease Fri 15-Apr-16 23:22:53

I wouldn't want to drive in to LA every day, the traffic can be a nightmare, do the busy stuff then have a couple of days to relax. We stayed at shutters on the beach - the most comfortable bed I've ever slept in smile

AttilaTheMeerkat Sat 16-Apr-16 15:04:05

lady

re your comment:-
"I'd taken a fancy to staying Santa Monica and hiring a car to drive into other parts of the city"

I would personally stay more centrally located (particularly for instance if you want to see Universal and the area around Manns Chinese theatre) and then stay in Santa Monica for a couple of days before further moving on.

LA is not just a series of neighbourhoods. Its a urban sprall where around 18.6 million people live and is made up of around 100 separate cities that merge into each other. How confident a driver are you in 4 /5 lane freeway traffic that can on occasion make the M25 look quiet in comparison?.

What ideally would you like to visit in LA for the days you are there?.

natashka Sun 01-May-16 21:12:16

I used to live in SM, shutters is fantastic but expensive.
Stay in SM as its safer and nicer that Venice and LA. Do go to Venice, maybe walk or cycle along the boardwalk down to Venice (hire from Perry's on the beach).
Take the 10 Freeway after 10am into LA and you'll be fine. Enjoy! It's fabulous!smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now