Worth doing a stopover for one night in Dubai?

(11 Posts)
snowgirl1 Wed 13-Apr-16 19:58:43

We're going to South Africa later this year. Direct flights are about £350 to £550 more than a flight with Emirates via Dubai, but the flight via Dubai obviously takes longer. I'm half thinking that we should stopover in Dubai for a day of sunshine (we're travelling in autumn) and stay in a hotel with a pool as a nice way of breaking the journey (rather than just a couple of hours in the airport).

Has anyone done this? Is it worth it for one day? Can anyone recommend any hotels that are too ridiculously pricey?

We'll be travelling with DD age 4 if it makes any difference.

bojorojo Wed 13-Apr-16 22:31:39

I would have thought the cost of the hotel will wipe out some of the saving, never mind the huge inconvenience of coming out of the airport and then back again. You also have the cost of the transfer. Even if you stay in a hotel, you will have to get back to the airport about 3 hours before you fly. How much time will you realistically get in the 40 degree sun and around the pool? Not much and is it worth the effort and cost? Personally I would not do it. It is 6 hours to Dubai and about 9-10 to SA. I am surprised South African Airways don't have a competitive price. BA is usually more expensive.

snowgirl1 Wed 13-Apr-16 23:37:14

bojorojo yes, the cost of staying in Dubai would probably add up to the same as a direct flight but I'd get to see a (little) bit of somewhere I haven't seen before, and some sun on my skin. SA airways flightless is £1012. BA is over £1200. Emirates is £653.

If we flew Emirates we'd arrive in Dubai first thing in the morning (6.30 \7.00am) and not have to leave until the next morning.

NickiFury Thu 14-Apr-16 00:07:01

I'd do it. Hotels are pricey in Dubai but so luxurious. If you wanted to see the Burj Khalifa and Water fountains would be best to stay nearby and it's only 20 minutes from the airport. The Ramada Downtown Dubai was fabulous and some rooms have a view of the Burj and fountains. That's what I would do if I only had one night there. Also relatively near to the creek and souks. You could fit quite a lot in 24 hours.

AttilaTheMeerkat Thu 14-Apr-16 07:12:07

Presumably you would need to make this stopover on the return journey; is that the case?. If that is so I would not do a stopover at all. Cheaper is not always more cheerful either.

I would also consider check in/check out times for the hotel in question. The room may not be ready for you until late morning or lunchtime. If you do decide to stay the night in Dubai then I would e-mail the hotel in advance confirming both your check in and check out times.

MozzchopsThirty Sat 16-Apr-16 00:11:55

I've done both very cheap (£60 per night) and very expensive (£300 per night) in Dubai so there are hotels to suit ever budget

MardAsSnails Sat 16-Apr-16 17:35:30

Check with emirates, they often have offers where a stopover is included. This is standard with etihad too.

bimbobaggins Mon 18-Apr-16 20:06:18

I wouldn't stop over. Have just recently been to Australia and stopped in dubai for a couple of hours. The thought of having to collect luggage, get to hotel, check out, check back in at airport next day all for one night would be worth it for me. I just wanted to power on with the flight.

bimbobaggins Mon 18-Apr-16 20:07:16

Wouldnt be worth it sorry for typo

snowgirl1 Tue 19-Apr-16 14:02:18

Thanks everyone for your input. We've decided we would like to stopover in Dubai...but when we have time to stopover for a least two nights. Hopefully, next time!

bimbobaggins Tue 19-Apr-16 15:14:01

Good choice snowgirl.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now