Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Somewhere long haul with no vaccinations?

(27 Posts)
GandolfBold Tue 12-Apr-16 15:22:54

Would love to go somewhere long haul next Easter, but for various reasons due to his SN, DS wouldn't be able to have any vaccinations over the standard ones he has already had. We don't want o do Florida, and the flight could be 8 hours max. Any ideas?

The children love running round, forests and history. I like nice food and not too hot.

lavenderdoilly Tue 12-Apr-16 15:25:11

New York including surrounding area?

DesertOrDessert Tue 12-Apr-16 15:43:42

Boston and Cape Cod dual centre?
Struggling long haul, 8 hrs, not too hot and forests. Think all the rain forest places will need extra vaccinations.
8 hrs gets you to the Middle East,but it's roasting (30 today), and no forests. And lots of mine holiday places.
Africa usually requires vaccinations. Would he tolerate anti malaria tablets?
Which leaves the islands of the West of Africa (canaries, Cape Verde, maderia?) Not quite long haul, but maybe the best compromise???

DesertOrDessert Tue 12-Apr-16 15:44:32

That's none holiday places round the middle East.....

mummymeister Tue 12-Apr-16 16:41:25

Canada - has everything you are looking for,

lljkk Tue 12-Apr-16 17:28:03

Toronto, Alaska, New England, Quebec, Japan, south Korea, Mongolia, some of the central Asia republics.

kirinm Tue 12-Apr-16 17:30:01

Caribbean - most islands are 8ish hours away.

lljkk Tue 12-Apr-16 17:33:16

...ok, I take back most of those (should have checked flight times first).
I'd love to see rural Japan, though.

EarlGreyTeaAndToast Tue 12-Apr-16 17:34:52

I live in the Middle East, wore a cardigan earlier and thought it was very reasonable temp wise dig walking just now.
Jordan at this time of year is lovely, as is Sri Lanka.

EarlGreyTeaAndToast Tue 12-Apr-16 17:35:04

*dog walking

DesertOrDessert Tue 12-Apr-16 17:35:41

Llkjj, I'd have thought several if those are way over 8 hrs? Toyoko, Korea &Alaska are more like 12 hrs, aren't they? Or am I way out?

DesertOrDessert Tue 12-Apr-16 17:38:19

Early grey, I'd agree its rained today, and been unseasonably cool. But it was mid 30s at the weekend. That's not UK "not too hot". Maybe care with Middle East is needed temperature wise.
Sorry llkjj, too slow typing!

CarsonTheButler Tue 12-Apr-16 17:39:19

Yellowstone Park -can't recommend this place enough for kids who love the outdoors.

AddToBasket Tue 12-Apr-16 17:41:47

South Africa. Although the flight will be longer but if you change at Doha or Dubai it will break it up. Doha airport is quite good for kids btw.

MooseBeTimeForSnow Tue 12-Apr-16 20:28:58

East coast of Canada - Niagara Falls etc?

ShanghaiDiva Wed 13-Apr-16 00:49:33

Washington DC for history -great museums and combine with somewhere else on the East coast of the US which is more outdoorsy.

specialsubject Wed 13-Apr-16 09:51:15

If he's had polio, typhoid, MMR, diphtheria jabs then a lot of the world is open to you. Australia and nz would really suit. If you want not too hot then Malaysia and Thailand won't work. Remember dengue is everywhere tropical so plenty of deet needed.

chemenger Wed 13-Apr-16 11:35:36

Nova Scotia, lots of forest and not hot (but may be actually cold at Easter, I'm not sure) history, scenery, great food, especially if you like seafood. Very friendly people and good range of accommodation. Short flight times. I can't recommend it highly enough.

chemenger Wed 13-Apr-16 11:36:45

Costa Rica also now has direct flights from London, but we did have vaccinations for there. It is amazing at Easter, perfect temperature, loads to see and do.

Sidge Wed 13-Apr-16 12:06:50

If travelling to places such as the Caribbean and South Africa you would benefit from Hepatitis A vaccine and potentially Hep B as well.

For no vaccines you're looking at places like the USA, Europe, Scandinavia, Australia and New Zealand.

You could travel to other areas without vaccines but there potentially is a risk, especially from food and water borne disease such as Hep A. Not necessarily a high risk, but still an element of risk.

gatewalker Wed 13-Apr-16 12:10:22

I second South Africa. The only thing you would need to take are malaria prophylaxes, and only if you're in the game reserve area of the lowveld NE.

JamieVardysParty Wed 13-Apr-16 12:17:31

Third South Africa.

Lots to do and there are enough places to go where you don't need to take malaria prophylaxes.

bojorojo Wed 13-Apr-16 22:44:47

Washington for history. Wonderful museums. Travel inland for more history in Virginia and then drive the Skyline Drive in Shenandoah National Park linking to the Blue Ridge Parkway and the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. This ticks all your boxes. You could do similar starting in New York and travelling into the Catskills or Boston and drive around New England.

LuckyTr33 Sun 17-Apr-16 12:20:14

Iceland

Lweji Sun 17-Apr-16 12:24:24

Even in more tropical locations, if you avoid local food (sold on the street type) and stay at hotels, it should be fine.
Most required vaccinations are standard childhood ones.
So, mostly avoid yellow fever endemic areas and it should be fine.
Most of South America is ok, actually.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now