Talk

Advanced search

is Cape Cod actually nicer than Cornwall (and certain other UK destinations)?!

(19 Posts)
hyperhypermum Sun 10-Apr-16 11:07:09

We've tentatively booked to go to Cape Cod & Boston in August (nothing that can't be cancelled). We do tend to go abroad once a year as DH works in the travel industry and gets substantial discounts on long haul travel. We wouldn't be able to afford to go to most of these places otherwise so it seems crazy not to take advantage! We also don't know how much longer he will get these concessions.

We've just come back from a short, cheap break in Cornwall and had a wonderful time. It hit home just how beautiful the UK is. In addition to our holidays abroad, we do usually do a break like this once a year and I do sometimes wonder if the kids actually prefer these holidays!

DH is now saying that he's actually not that fussed about Cape Cod and is tempted to book a nice cottage in Cornwall or similar in the summer (we usually stay in caravans). It would save at least a couple of grand that we could spend on the house and might even be able to squeeze in an extra cheap break later in the year. I've always wanted to go to Cape Cod but can also see his point!

Of course we run the risk of the weather in the UK being pants and I think I'm right in thinking that Cape Cod weather will be considerably more reliable?

Any opinions to help make a decision would be welcomed!

Madbengalmum Sun 10-Apr-16 11:13:01

Cape cod is lovely, as is Newport which is on the same coast, but i would personally go in the fall for the leaves and autumnal colours which are stunning.

The two are very different in my opinion, and if you are not that fussed i would save my money and go in autumn. However, just my opinion.

SJane45S Mon 11-Apr-16 16:58:45

Never been to Cape Cod so am no use to you there..but based on our last summers (mid August) holiday to Cornwall and the one 3 years previous also in summer, if good weather & sunshine is important to you then I'd go to Cape Cod! Cornwall is as you know, gorgeous and there's fabulous landscapes, beaches etc. However, last 2 times we've been in August it's been jumpers and coat weather, not bikini's and summer frocks! We are always particularly unlucky weather wise though with our UK breaks and I'm sure my narkiness about sitting on lovely beaches in the wind and rain will fade and we'll go again!

ShanghaiDiva Tue 12-Apr-16 13:04:29

I think kids love the attention they get during holiday time, the location is a secondary issue.
We lived in Europe and has some super cheap holidays in the Netherlands and have also flown business class to NZ and had a great time. I am sure if you asked DD she enjoyed both equally - feeding the ducks or walking up the glacier - it's the time as a family she enjoys the most.

SenecaFalls Tue 12-Apr-16 13:11:55

It's been a long time since I have been to Cornwall, but I have visited Cape Cod several times recently. I think that if you would not have the opportunity to do it later as you suggest, I would chose Cape Cod. It is lovely, and also you can easily do day trips to Nantucket and Martha's Vineyard.

freshprincess Tue 12-Apr-16 13:18:00

Have been to both and If I had the choice I'd go to Cape Cod just for the weather. And the clam chowder.
Have been to Boston twice, it's one of my favourite places.

cingolimama Tue 12-Apr-16 13:18:44

The weather is pretty reliable in Cape Cod, which would tip the balance for me. Not as pretty a coastline as Cornwall, but I would bitterly resent putting a jumper on in August!

Costacoffeeplease Tue 12-Apr-16 13:25:46

Def go to cape cod and Boston if you can, love them both

haggisaggis Tue 12-Apr-16 14:41:27

Having gone ever year to Cape Cod for 10 years - the past 2 years (and this) we're off to Arizona instead to ensure we get guaranteed heat!!
Having said that - we only ever had one really bad year on the Cape when it didn't get above 17 deg c and was wet (so Scottish summer weather really). Other years we did get at least some days of good beach weather - and the odd year it was above 24 deg and dry the whole stay. But certainly when we go (end June / July - Scottish school hols) I can't say that the weather can be guaranteed to be good. May be more consistent in August.
It's gorgeous though - thoroughly recommend going. We always stayed in Falmouth - upper cape. Nice beaches but also good restaurants and Boston a fairly easy day trip if you want. Day passenger ferry from Falmouth to Marthas Vineyard. We will definitely go back once we have our fix of Arizona heat.

bojorojo Wed 13-Apr-16 23:28:49

We went to Boston and then on to Cape Cod when our children were about 10 and 8. It is different to Cornwall. Boston is unique. You can take a boat and go and see whales. Lots of them in August. Children probably are not bothered about the colour of leaves, but they will like the beaches on Cape Cod. There is a Children's Museum in Boston and lots to see. I recall the whale boats go out from the Aquarium.

We also stayed in Falmouth. We then moved on to Chatham. There are day trips to Martha's Vinyard or you could stay there or Nantucket. However I would imagine places get booked up pretty early and you will be there is high season.

A must for children is the Plimoth Plantation which is a replica of the first settlers' village. You can get there easily from Boston. The volunteers dress up as people newly arrived from Europe and may discuss their religious issues with you as they are all in character. The roads are busy in August. We picked up the car after several days in Boston and made our own way to Cape Cod.

We found the restaurants are really busy by 6. Everyone eats early and if a restaurant has a sea view there can be a rush to get the best table. If you have not been to the USA before, restaurant bills can add up - there is tax to add on and then the obligatory tip - double what you paid in tax. If you are on a budget, a cottage with a kitchen somewhere on Cape Cod would be cheaper. We had lovely weather. Not too hot, a breeze, and no rain.

hyperhypermum Thu 14-Apr-16 00:26:35

Thank you for your replies so far. Unfortunately, it looks like I'm on the losing team atm as he's very reluctant to spend the money and it'll be him paying for it! I'm planning on doing a breakdown of costs for Cape Cod vs destinations closer to home. I guesstimate we can do it for around 4k with our concessions, which I know is cheap for Cape Cod but still more than DH really wants to spend. We went to the States a couple of years ago(Florida) and found eating out etc at least as much as the UK. Presume Cape Cod is similarly priced? We have so far booked a hotel in Boston and self catering accommodation on the Cape, all of which is refundable.....

Canyouforgiveher Thu 14-Apr-16 00:35:49

other than them both being by the sea, I wouldn't see them as comparable to be honest.

The Cape is a particular experience and people love it - the shingled houses, the history, the long beaches (lots of undeveloped/state beaches too) the lovely weather, the possibility of a trip to nantucket or martha's vineyard etc.

I see cornwall as lovely in a very different way (more like west cork), tiny coves, incredible coastline, tiny villages etc.

If you are looking for a seaside holiday, then cornwall is going to be way easier for you- although the weather will be far less predictable/warm.

But if you want a real american lovely ocean experience, the cape is brilliant (we are going back to provincetown for a week in june and it is an amazing place) as is Boston. you could see so much history/culture/art in your day in boston.

The cape is really nothing like Florida (unless you are talking about the tiny islands like gasparilla/sanibel).

hyperhypermum Thu 14-Apr-16 06:42:06

I'd planned to do most of the things bojorojo suggested, particularly keen on Pilmouth Plantation. In Boston, I wanted to do the Duck Tour but it looks very pricey. In the UK I fund a lot of our outings with discount vouchers such as Tesco points. Presume there's no way of finding discounts for attractions Stateside? DH not interested in Boston at all - we live near London which he feels can't be beaten!?!?

Costacoffeeplease Thu 14-Apr-16 07:04:31

He's never been to Boston thensmile

haggisaggis Fri 15-Apr-16 12:50:12

The Cape is pricey - think you would find restaurant prices more expensive than Florida and as stated below they can be really busy with long wait times (most don't take bookings)
It is a beautiful place though - and whale watching is a brilliant experience (you can get a boat from Barnstable harbour which is mid-cape rather than driving all the way to Provincetown). You haven't said how old your kids are. When mine were quite small - say under 5 - I sometimes felt that they would have actually preferred to stay in the UK than travelling all the way to the US for a beach holiday. However when they got older they enjoyed the experience so much more.
Boston is fun - my kids loved the Duck Tour and the science centre. The children's museum is best for around 7 and under. Quincy's market is good for cheap(ish) food. (all sorts of fast food choices with benches centrally where you can eat). I don't think you can compare Boston with London. It is small and easily accessible. You can walk around really easily or do a trolley bus tour .

Canyouforgiveher Fri 15-Apr-16 12:59:30

Boston and the Cape are lovely. Very different to London/Cornwall. but really not a cheap holiday.

hyperhypermum Sat 16-Apr-16 07:32:17

Arghhh he's still not happy. He accepts that Cornwall is likely to have poor weather and a cottage won't be exactly cheap but hasn't managed to come up with a decent alternative. How much spending money would we be likely to need for 3 days Boston plus 7 on the Cape? We have sc accommodation so could bbq/cook some evenings. Would also take packed lunch out most days. The main trips I'd like to do are Pilmouth Plantation, whale watching and a trip to one of the islands and maybe a duck tour in Boston. The rest would be free/natural stuff.

4lovelychildren Sat 16-Apr-16 08:10:40

We have started travelling long haul (albeit Asia) with our 4 children and see the bigger picture. We are developing their outlook by making them aware of the wider world. There is also something exciting about exploring a new country and working out how to get around, what to eat and having a completely new experience. They also love flying and the travelling aspect. We also have UK holidays and had a great week in Scotland but it doesn't compare. If you can afford it I would create those extra special memories together as a family. But that is just us and may not be the same for everyone.

Furthur Sat 16-Apr-16 08:25:52

Cape cod is lovely. If young l an for some meals in your hotel room, with rossitaire chicken, salad etc, it will be cheap for a Brit. I would say it's worth the expense.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now