Anyone done a California road trip?

(5 Posts)
swimster01 Tue 05-Apr-16 14:55:31

We are planning a 2 week California road trip this Summer with DC and I would really welcome some feedback on the draft itinerary below. We want to focus on wildlife, nature, beaches and then a couple of days at the theme parks. I'm rot sure about the 2 nights in Santa Barbara as I can't seem to find anything I want to do there.

LA airport hotel 1 night
1 night Sequoia National Park
1 night Kings Canyon
3 nights Monterey
1 night San Simeon
2 nights Santa Barbara
3 nights Anaheim
2 nights San Diego
Fly back via LA

Any thoughts? Thanks

absolutelynotfabulous Tue 05-Apr-16 15:04:16

I did almost that trip, but without DC! It was great. I didn't do Anaheim, or San Simeon.

I'm not sure you'd need Santa Barbara AND Monterey, tbh.

This was ours:

LA-San Diego-Death Valley- Fresno-Phoenix-Flagstaff-Yosemite-San Fran-Cardiff-Carmel/Monterey-Santa Barbara-LA.

Not sure if that was quite the order, and didn't stay overnight everywhere.

I'd do it again in a heartbeat. But loads of driving.

natashka Sun 01-May-16 21:22:54

I used to live in LA and dos a road trip.
LA airport hotel 1 night
1 night Sequoia National Park &
1 night Kings Canyon- didn't visit so no idea what it's like
3 nights Monterey-not a lot to see or do
1 night San Simeon- didn't visit it but big sur is amazing, stay at Deetjens- fantastic accommodation in a rural setting with a few lovely walks nearby
2 nights Santa Barbara- not loads to do but nearby is El Capitan, a great camping site with wooden huts to stay in- opposite a great beach.
3 nights Anaheim
2 nights San Diego
Fly back via LA
How about Palm Springs?- desert about 5 hrs drive from LA. Gorgeous mid-century modern town. Take cable car up mountain to see huge pine trees and have a lovely walk.
Try Airbnb for accommodation
Other suggestions- Big Bear - 2 HR drive from LA- usually a skiing town but great in summer too!
Have fun

MadamDeathstare Tue 03-May-16 18:50:39

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MadamDeathstare Tue 03-May-16 18:51:35

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now