Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Five days in NYC - what would you do?

(19 Posts)
whycantwegoonasthree Mon 04-Apr-16 10:40:33

That's it, really. DP and I are going on holiday, without any of our respective children, for five days.

What are you top tips please? Things not to miss? Hidden gems?

We're using the boat out on this one, so no suggestion is off the table...

Thanks in advance!!
(SO EXCITED!!)

grin

JapanNextYear Mon 04-Apr-16 10:45:15

When are you going? It's such a fab place!

Definitely Highline, Ellis Island is really interesting as is Governor's Island. We picked up tickets for a Broadway show - 2 rows from the front - brilliant.

You can book special tickets for the Empire State Building and the Rockerfeller centre.

Oyster bar in Central Station.

We did a foodie walking tour - could hardly move afterwards - but got some great tips on where to eat.

Walk across Brooklyn Bridge and go for pizza.

Drink martinis - we had really good martinis.

Jaimx86 Mon 04-Apr-16 10:47:04

Go into the Warner Centre - top floor - and you'll find a bar (Centre Bar) over looking Central Park and Columbous Cirle. About 5pm a pianist plays, and you can people watch the people going to Per Se. Great view. No need to dress up.

centerbarnyc.com/gallery.html

Also, leave at least one afternoon unplanned to just mooch around the High Line and all the shops/cafes coming off it.

ScoopyDoo Mon 04-Apr-16 10:51:07

Museum of Modern Art (MOMA) is one of my favourite places ever.

whycantwegoonasthree Mon 04-Apr-16 10:52:54

Oh great suggestions already! We're going next week... I'm expecting the weather to be ok, possibly bit cold?

We've booked a ticket city for 'the top of the Rock' and MOMA in the same day, and we've got tickets for 'Chicago' which I have performed but DP has never seen.

High line I'd forgotten about - thanks for the reminder!

Bars and people watching yes, absolutely!

What about a game of some kind? I think DP would like that...

whycantwegoonasthree Mon 04-Apr-16 10:53:57

Also does anyone know of any jazz clubs or comedy clubs?

WreckTangled Mon 04-Apr-16 11:01:40

We went to a burlesque night. It was ££££ but so fun, included a really nice meal and had a comedian in between the dancers. It felt really exclusive as it was quite small. I'll find that name if that's of any interest.

We went and saw the rockettes, dh didn't think he'd like it but he did. Aladdin on Broadway was amazing.

Merrow Mon 04-Apr-16 11:03:45

Big Apple Greeters do free tours by locals - say what you're interested in and they'll probably find someone that can do a tour of it. Or say you're open to anything and see what happens - I now know more about New York's weird parking laws than I ever expected to, which was surprisingly interesting.

Katz Deli do amazing pastrami sandwiches - it's the deli from When Harry Met Sally, and you can sit at their table (there's a big sign) if you want!

We had a great time at a baseball game, we went to see the Brooklyn Cyclones, which are a minor league team so tickets were really cheap and there were things like a girl whose birthday it was getting to announce the team members. It felt like a very american experience eating hotdogs and popcorn at a game.

Leave some time just to wander around central park - there's always something going on somewhere. Depending on when you're going there's a lot of free festivals in the parks, things like the New York Philharmonic do concerts.

swooosh Mon 04-Apr-16 11:05:13

Eat steak at Quality Meats, the food was amazing!! Also try to get to Tompkins Square Bagels.

We took a train to Brooklyn and walked back across to Manhattan via the Brooklyn bridge. You can then head to world trade centre, Chinatown and Tompkins square bagels. We walked 18 miles this day but we did walk all the way back to 57th st! It's a brilliant city.

If you fancy doing some shopping then I preferred Jersey Mills outlet to Woodbury Common. You can catch a bus there from port authority bus station.

whycantwegoonasthree Mon 04-Apr-16 11:08:48

Wrecktangled / yes yes yes to burlesque if you can give the name! That would probably make DPs trip! And mine too thinking about it!

WreckTangled Mon 04-Apr-16 11:14:04

Here it is Duane Park it was the Saturday night one we went to. We got pretty drunk and had fun trying to navigate the subway through giggles!

sazerashez Mon 04-Apr-16 11:21:38

I'm on my way back from 4 days in New York as I write this. (Sob)

My highlights were:

Comedy at the comedy cellar
Live music at groove nyc
Brunch at bubbys
Going to a gospel service yesterday morning in Harlem.
Brooklyn bridge.
Walking around lots.
Getting the Staten Island ferry.

whycantwegoonasthree Mon 04-Apr-16 12:27:47

Great suggestions here... Really amazing... Thank so much!

Booking that burlesque show RIGHT NOW.

Walking around no lots is definitely up my street, but DP had dodgy toes from the martial arts he did when younger, so we have to limit it a bit, and plan in R&R along the way or he ends up crippled! I nearly broke him when we went to Paris...

WreckTangled Mon 04-Apr-16 13:15:55

Oh I hope you like it! It was definitely one of the highlights from our trip!

mckenzie Tue 05-Apr-16 23:00:28

We had 5 days in New York last week but with children unfortunately so slightly different set of criteria.
However, Tracks at Penn Station for drinks and food (it's two floors down, the locals go there more than the tourists). You won't find it without asking once you are down there.
Johns Pizzeria was good as was Sky alone diner. We also really enjoyed the hop on, hop off ferry and learnt some interesting facts from the ferry man.
The 9/11 memorial was painful but interesting, I'm glad we went.
Steer well clear of TGI Fridays. We went in one by Penn Station and it was awful food and ridiculously expensive. Our mistake: big time.

Enjoy!

Chimchar Tue 05-Apr-16 23:09:50

We did 7 days last October, but with three kids in tow.

Our fave bits were watching and playing chess in Bryant Park. Wandering around west village and watching locals playing basketball and handball.

The one world trade centre was fantastic. Rent the iPad too to see what all the other buildings are...

Ellen's stardust diner just off Broadway was ace...food was ok, but waiting staff sing and have incredible voices!

Loads of tips on Pinterest, and lots of speakeasy bars recommended. We didn't do any partying with the kids in tow, but had the best time EVER. Have a really great time. Very envious of your kid free trip!

Tottyandmarchpane1 Tue 05-Apr-16 23:19:05

Employees Only cocktail bar on Hudson does amazing cocktails (cool bar too) and Red Farm across the road on Hudson does lush dim sum and other Chinese food. Enjoy! It's an amazing city

AnthonyBlanche Tue 05-Apr-16 23:20:43

Take the Staten Island Ferry - great views!
Mooch around the Wall Street area and have lunch in one of the restaurants there
9/11 memorial
Shopping!
Buy a pass for a hop on hop off tourist bus - very handy for giving your tired feet a rest while still seeing the sights and a great way to get from one thing you want to see to another
Eating
General hanging around and gawping at the sights - I was amazed at Central Station, it is beautiful <country bumpkin emoticon>
Museums, galleries etc etc
I'm sure you will have a great time!

whycantwegoonasthree Wed 06-Apr-16 15:28:36

Well we've gone nuts- determined to make the most of this trip…

We've got:
Carriage ride in Central park the afternoon we land
Dinner at the top of the Standard
Top of the Rock Observation deck
MOMA
Pizza in Little Italy
Comedy Cellar
One World tower
9/11 memorial
Shopping in Century 21, and Day street (for vintage)
Dinner at Tao
Chicago on broadway
New York Public Library and Grand Central
Brunch at Bubby's
The High Line
A Yankees game (great seats near the dugouts)
The Baltimore Symphony Orchestra doing Mahler 5 at Carnegie Hall!!

Plenty of time for impromptu casual dinners and mooching around, believe it or not!

After all that we should return exhausted but happy!!

So excited and thank you for all your help…
xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now