Talk

Advanced search

Thailand

(41 Posts)
wingingit123 Sun 27-Mar-16 18:31:21

Hi I am thinking of going to Thailand in October/ November me DH and DS who will be 20 months. Would anyone recommend this? Or anywhere else you would recommend? It's for my 30th so I want to go somewhere special. If we were to go Thailand where would you recommend ?

CatsCantFlyFast Sun 27-Mar-16 18:40:07

Thailand is a varied place so you might have to be more specific about what you want. Beaches? Culture? Tours? Wildlife? Boat trips? Etc. It might be you want a combo and a multi centre holiday?

The weather in Thailand will vary hugely depending on location and time of year - the monsoons hit different parts of the country at different times so that is a good place to research to start ruling in and out areas

CatsCantFlyFast Sun 27-Mar-16 18:41:30

Also have a think about how remote you are comfortable being, given age of your child. Some of the islands don't have big hospitals and the mainland is only accessible by a flight or boat at certain times of the day

Toomanycats99 Sun 27-Mar-16 18:46:08

I went to Thailand with exodus about 10 years ago. While that trip was obviously not suitable with children I do remember we stayed in the north of koh samui. It was beautiful peaceful beaches lovely. We then went to the main beach (chaweng?) on the island and it was just built up and horrible! I ended up going over Xmas as I know it was rainy season in October and I think the trip then ended up being cancelled.

wingingit123 Sun 27-Mar-16 18:52:02

Thank you it would probably be wildlife, culture, beaches anything really! The other place I though of was Bali.

Which Islands would be best for a toddler?

CatsCantFlyFast Sun 27-Mar-16 19:48:40

The challenge you have is that October/November falls into the rainy season for both the east and west coast islands. The west coast islands will probably be best as they'll be coming to the end of their monsoon in October.
So west coast is Phuket, Krabi and PhiPhi islands (plus some others). Both Phuket and Krabi are easily accessible by air so are good choices. You'll find a wide range of available accommodation and you'll want to research into the areas/beaches - you may want to avoid areas that are hotspots for backpackers/bars/drinking/nightlife. PhiPhi islands are gorgeous but only accessible by a long ferry ride so maybe not as practical for a toddler.

Why not combine some beach time with some time elsewhere in Thailand for a culture fix? There's some beautiful temples/national parks if that's your thing - but maybe exploring with a little one is not what you fancy!

minipie Sun 27-Mar-16 20:01:00

I'd suggest Phuket. You can fly direct, it's big enough to have its own medical clinics, temples, wildlife attractions but small enough that you're not doing long journeys with a toddler. Also lots of lovely hotels. The later in the year you can go the better the weather will be. YY to picking your location carefully.

Another couple of options would be Mauritius or South Africa. Both these have very small time difference with the UK which makes travelling with a toddler much easier IMO. South Africa is very good value at the moment and you could make a lovely holiday in Cape Town and nearby places (coastal wildlife, wine regions etc, possibly one of the non malarial wildlife reserves but depends on safety with DS). Mauritius would be more of a resort + day excursions type of holiday - less culture but more relaxation...

mummymeister Sun 27-Mar-16 23:19:07

wherever you decide please consider the jabs that are needed and the mosquito situation before you go too far.

I really don't get taking such small babies on far flung holidays with nasty diseases and poor access to health care. I'll shut up.

wingingit123 Mon 28-Mar-16 10:06:23

Thank you everyone I will begin researching

And thank you for your input mummymeister each to their own I suppose, we went to fuerteventura last year and their was a child who got I'll from the food their? So what's the limit of travel?

EagleRay Mon 28-Mar-16 10:16:31

We went last jan with DD who was then 23mo (v important age as just under the free flight limit!)

We got cheap flights to Phuket and split time between Kamala, Koh Ya Noi and Khao Lak, each time staying in low(ish) budget hotels and self catering (£20-40 a night)

We found it very easy in terms of access to services and transport. We're rather hermit-like on holiday and prefer to hide away in simple accommodations with deserted beaches and managed to do that most of the time, but you could easily go to nearby places and find big hotels with kids clubs and more crowded beaches - really just depends on what floats your boat!

pearlylum Mon 28-Mar-16 10:20:27

I lived in Thailand for a year and I wouldn't take a baby there either.

Yes you can get ill in Fuertaventura but the health hazards in Thailand are much greater. You will need jabs for at least typhoid, and recommended yellow fever, Hepatitis A, rabies and japanese encepahlitis. Many regions are malarial, there are lots of species of venomous animals, cobras, scorpions, centipedes, spiders, poisonous sea snakes and jellyfish.

Healthcare is patchy, sanitation can be poor- often the busy tourist areas are the worst for that.

Fractiousfractions Mon 28-Mar-16 10:28:28

Bali is stunning. Very safe feeling, relaxed atmosphere (although went as a couple, no kids), lovely food and beaches. Very friendly locals, interesting culture. No malaria in main tourist areas. Can't recommend it highly enough. Quite a long flight though.

wingingit123 Mon 28-Mar-16 10:53:51

Thank you I've got a lot to look into

ShanghaiDiva Mon 28-Mar-16 14:25:45

I live in SE Asia and almost everywhere is just coming out of the wet season in October, so would recommend November for better weather. Vaccinations are important - hep and b plus the standard childhood ones. Rabies and japanese encephalitis may not be required depending on the area, but if they are you will need a course of three jabs so allow time for this.

Holeypurplesocks Mon 28-Mar-16 14:37:51

I wouldn't rule out Thailand. BK & the islands off Krabi have health care provision, there isn't a Malaria, YF or JE risk. Best to talk to your Practice Nurse about health risks, they depend on destination, type of travel, accommodation etc.

However I agree that Mauritius is a safer option. Both flights are 12 hours though if you fly direct and it's an awful long time to have a 20 month old on your lap.

pearlylum Mon 28-Mar-16 15:22:32

Malaria does exist in the Krabi region
www.cdc.gov/malaria/travelers/country_table/t.html

Holeypurplesocks Mon 28-Mar-16 15:32:29

I don't think there is, the risky areas are on the borders
travelhealthpro.org.uk/locations/thailand/#Malaria

CatsCantFlyFast Mon 28-Mar-16 15:58:00

I would choose Thailand over Bali from a safety perspective personally.

I'd think about booking your little one a seat on the flight too

wingingit123 Mon 28-Mar-16 16:05:05

Thank you I'm just researching both now thinking either Bali then somewhere else for a few days? Any suggestions?

If I was to go to Thailand which destinations would you recommend as best then?

pearlylum Mon 28-Mar-16 16:06:21

Java is a magnificent place.

Ifitaintfixed Mon 28-Mar-16 16:11:47

What's your budget Op?
Do you want swanky hotels, villas, guests houses or a combination?

wingingit123 Mon 28-Mar-16 16:25:16

If say about 2000 for flights and accommodation, possibly more. I'm happy to stay in air private accommodation self Catering, I've been looking at air b & b. It's all new to me because I usually just do package holidays but fancy an adventure.

scotsgirl64 Mon 28-Mar-16 20:53:44

Wouldn't advise Thailand with a toddler .....long flight and very humid !.... Wait till they're a bit older - opt for a 5* holiday in UK for your 30th. We went to Ko Samui last year with our 3 teenagers and they found heat v draining......but loved the culture and food!

wingingit123 Mon 28-Mar-16 21:26:54

Thank you, I definitely don't want to do UK so I think if it isn't Thailand it will either be Bali or or elsewhere

minipie Mon 28-Mar-16 21:33:48

Hmm an independent trip to Thailand or Indonesia with a 20 month old is a bit of a challenge especially if you usually do package holidays. I've done lots of backpacking/flashpacking in SE asia and wouldn't want to do it with a 20 month old. Just too much potential for things to go wrong or at least be really not fun due to heat/illness/delays etc.

If I were you I'd either pick a less challenging destination if you want to go independently, or if SE Asia then I'd do a package, then at least you have the back up of a tour company if something goes awry.

I do think South Africa could be a good compromise if you want an adventure - there are lots of nice B & Bs and independent hotels to stay at, so you can travel independently and not do the package resort thing, climate is sunny but not too hot or humid, familiar food for your toddler, no jet lag, direct overnight flight, etc.

We went to a 5* resort in Mauritius with our 20 month old - we had a fab time, I wouldn't call it an adventure but that's not what we wanted at that stage!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now