Talk

Advanced search

Florida- how to take spending money?

(13 Posts)
dietstartstmoz Sun 13-Mar-16 20:19:27

We are off to florida in a few weeks. What is the best way to take spending money? We will take some dollars, but what is best, either just a credit card or one of those pre-paid debit cards that travel agents have. Or can i just use my credit or debit card to withdraw cash?
Help- havent a clue!

Drquin Sun 13-Mar-16 20:34:37

Yes you can use your normal credit and debit cards. There will probably be some charges involved - check what they are; I would tend not to use my debit card for small transactions as I get a £1.75 per transaction fee. But it's useful to have.

My advice (based on losing my pre-paid card on day one!) is to take a mix .... Hard cash, credit card, pre-paid card and debit card. Have a plan (perhaps based on bank fees etc) as to what you'll use when (e.g. Big shopping spree on credit card / day to day spending on pre-paid card / emergency cash available on debit card)

Have some cash based on whether you need to get bus / cab on arrival etc

Drquin Sun 13-Mar-16 20:35:53

And don't plan to withdraw cash on your credit card, that tends to be the most expensive way of doing it (it's classed as a cash advance usually).

dietstartstmoz Sun 13-Mar-16 20:59:42

Thanks, yes will do that. I have so much to do before we go, so i dont have time to give this too much thought! Would i need to tell the card company and bank we will be using these overseas before we go? Thinking will they stop them cos of a fraud worry?

caroldecker Sun 13-Mar-16 21:18:24

I would take a limited amount of cash and use debit cards for cash withdrawal and credit cards for meals/hotels/larger purchases.
It may be worth telling them - I have never had a problem despite travelling in US, Europe, Latin America with no notice or predictability, my partner has had cards blocked, but cleared through a call home.

ingeniousidiot Mon 14-Mar-16 16:56:50

We're taking $700 and credit cards. If you get a Post Office credit card or Halifax Clarity there are no transaction fees and you get the mastercard interbank rate which is usually very good. Quidco has £25 cashback on new Post Office cards at the moment, so it makes sense to get one as long as you pay it back in full on your return.

TeaBelle Mon 14-Mar-16 16:58:27

Oh has a Lloyd s avios credit card which also has no transaction fees abroad

Woodhill Mon 14-Mar-16 17:00:49

We take cash as in dollars as interestingly the U S isn't like Europe in converting currency easily. Used credit card but wished we'd had the Halifax one last year.

BaconAndAvocado Mon 14-Mar-16 22:31:09

We used the Post Office credit card everywhere and for everything - no overseas transaction charges.

We saved the money first then paid it off when we got home.

Also took $500 cash .

iwantanewcar Mon 04-Apr-16 12:19:05

useful thread thank you. Off to check the quidco offer!

Creampastry Sun 10-Apr-16 19:19:37

Get a Caxton card - easiest, cheap, and accepted everywhere.

CointreauVersial Sun 10-Apr-16 19:33:23

YY to Caxton

specialsubject Sun 10-Apr-16 20:55:33

You must tell bank and providers. There are always charges, they will be hidden in the exchange rate if not explicit.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now