Talk

Advanced search

Longhaul studenty backpacker holiday

(7 Posts)
sky1010 Sat 12-Mar-16 22:09:33

I am in my early twenties and went straight from college, to uni, to work. I never really did the backpacker thing. I am getting extremely jealous of my friends from school who have been updating their Facebook feeds of beautiful beaches and excursions to jungle springs on their 'year off'.

I was planning to do an all inclusive type thing, but I like the idea of staying in a beach hut somewhere pretty. Party atmosphere, nice beaches, food and drink cheap.

My budget is £700 for flights, and £1000 spending money for 2 weeks.

Any recommendations on where I should look at? I imagine Thailand is the obvious choice, but some resort town recommendations would be appreciated.

OP’s posts: |
Hrafnkel Sat 12-Mar-16 22:27:41

I've Not been but apparently people say that the Philippines are the most beautiful country in SE Asia.

I have been to lots of other SE Asian countries though. Thailand is wonderful. Indonesia too. Those would be recommendations based on my personal experience. But go a bit off main track.

FrankiesKnuckle Sat 12-Mar-16 22:37:06

Palolem or Anjuna in Goa.
Varkala in Kerala.
Koh Phangan, Koh Tao, Koh Chang, Koh Lanta, Koh Jum..... There's a lot of Thai islands to choose from - if Thailand then you'll have to do a few days in Bangkok and stay on the Khao San Road for the "authentic" traveller experience.

ShanghaiDiva Mon 14-Mar-16 10:16:54

vietnam - hoi an?

SquadGoals Mon 14-Mar-16 10:28:13

I'd either do Vietnam-Laos-Cambodia or Indonesia - especially the Gili Isles and Lombok.

Malaysia is good for island hopping plus KL for a bit of city life. Tioman is stunning and you can get a lot of ferries from Mersing out to various islands. Just check the time of year for monsoon season.

A friend in her twenties has just backpacked around Southern Africa as it appealed to her a bit more than just the typical SE Asia route. She did SA, Botswana, Namibia and a beach hol in Zanzibar. A lot of it was tours so she wasn't always alone with different companies.

mmgirish Tue 15-Mar-16 08:28:20

I've lived in both Thailand and the Philippines. They are both amazing in different ways. Consider Burma too, amazing place. Laos and Cambodia are awesome too.

I really recommend buying the South East Asia on a shoestring lonely planet book. It will inspire you and make your decisions easier.

nannyafrica Tue 15-Mar-16 08:51:36

you could join an overland tour like this
www.africanbudgetsafaris.com/overland-camping-tours/discover-east-africa-zanzibar-to-vic-falls/
Beach, sightseeing and safari in one.
On kayak.com there are flights for £600 into dar and out of Vic Falls to London

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in