Talk

Advanced search

Universal Hotels Orlando - Hard Rock Hotel in particular.

(27 Posts)
NickiFury Fri 11-Mar-16 16:01:07

Anyone stayed there? Worth it? It's quite expensive :-/ and if you did, did you go for a "Club Room"?

Many thanks smile

freshprincess Fri 11-Mar-16 16:21:17

A bit further away from the park and entrance than the Hard Rock, we stayed at the Royal Pacific Resort. It was worth it for the free early entry into the parks and the free fast pass on the big rides.
We didn't bother with the Club Room as DTs were only 7 at the time, so didn't think we would get our money's worth. We had the idea that we would go out for breakfast every morning, but we ended up having breakfast in the hotel every day. We spent most of the afternoon buying drinks by the pool, so we would have worked out cheaper. We weren't too bothered about having a fancier room, my two could make The Ritz look like a skip after half an hour!

You can get a water taxi to the resort entrance to the hotel - takes about 5 mins, or you could walk: 15 minutes in the morning when the DCs are excited or about half an hour on the way back when they were tired and grumpy.

Hard Rock looks really nice when we went in for a few drinks.

HopeNotFear Fri 11-Mar-16 16:26:29

We had one night at HRH last summer, £170 for 5 sharing so we felt it was good value. We checked in at 7.30am got our FOLP and headed straight to US.

it was great having the passes & not having to wait in standby queues so well worth the money. The swimming pool is also lovely & plenty loungers for everyone.

We're going back to Florida summer 2017 so will do another night at one if the Universal hotels, but I think it'll be well over £200 for the one night. I wouldn't bother with a club room if you're only doing a night or 2 as you don't have enough time to spend in the hotel to get your money's worth.

PetraDelphiki Fri 11-Mar-16 16:35:13

Worth it just for the ability to queue jump! And to get into Harry Potter an hour early! Actually I quite like the hotel - nice pool and the restaurants are pretty good! If you want a giggle the one near the pool has one of those "if you can eat it all you get it free" things - don't try it but do look at it! It's immense (I reckon I could eat about 1/20th of the piece of cake)

PetraDelphiki Fri 11-Mar-16 16:35:54

And it's actually a nice stroll to the parks in the morning!

allthegoodnamesalreadytaken Fri 11-Mar-16 16:44:22

I haven't stayed there but went there for lunch and it was quite nice. If you are going at peak season then might be worth the extra £ for the early park entrance. We stayed at the Hyatt Grand Cypress whenever we go, great hotel lots of facilities and free shuttle to all the main parks including universal. Not too pricy either but still has the Hyatt quality

RhodaBull Fri 11-Mar-16 16:57:56

Have stayed there twice.

Make sure you ask for a non-dog room! I love dogs, but someone had a dog next door that barked all night.

Great food, really nice staff and you can go by boat early to the parks, or stroll or go on a rickshaw. There are some excellent restaurants along City Walk too.

NickiFury Fri 11-Mar-16 17:02:16

Thanks all smile

Actually been to universal three times way better than Disney wink. Stayed at Cabana Bay last time, which is considerably cheaper, you get the early entrance, but no express passes. Cabana Bay I have to say was fabulous - 1950's theme and really authentic. Was just wondering about the Hard Rock though as DS really would like to stay there even if just for one night.

NickiFury Fri 11-Mar-16 17:04:31

And also while I have got you, water parks. We've done Aquatica, twice but would like to try another one - thinking Typhoon Lagoon or Blizzard Beach - dc 10 and 13, which would be best for that age group? Thanks grin. So excited!

MummaGiles Fri 11-Mar-16 17:08:16

Not stayed at the HRH in Orlando, but stayed at one in Mexico a couple of years ago and it was fantastic.

EricNorthmanSucks Fri 11-Mar-16 17:09:59

Great hotel.

Spacious rooms, lovely pool, lots of little cool features.

Concierge cannot do enough for you.

5 mins walk to Universal plus you get in early which really helps with Harry Potter.

I think we stayed 4 nights and felt it really was worth the dosh.

NickiFury Fri 11-Mar-16 20:32:48

Thanks smile. Oh I am very tempted I have to say. I think will book the last two nights so ending on a high note.

PatriciaHolm Sat 12-Mar-16 09:56:23

We stayed for 2 nights in late August, had a great time. Didn't bother with the club room and the room was fine, not stellar but fine, and DH and the kids enjoyed the in-room Guitar delivery! (not that we can play...)

Bunbaker Sat 12-Mar-16 10:00:16

We are staying at the Cabana Bay in July. I have read some mixed reviews. I must admit that I don't understand the appeal of the 50s theme, but that is just personal taste.

Are there any hints or tips that I need to know?

NickiFury Sat 12-Mar-16 10:19:04

Hi Bunbaker I am a bit of a Mad Men fiend and it really reminded me of that, which is why I liked it so much smile

Are you staying in a room or a suite? I would recommend a pool side suite tbh. Your door opens out onto the pool area rather than a hotel corridor.

There's two pool and room areas with the lobby in between. One pool and room area "Tower" has the lazy river and a large pool with in pool bar BUT also has a huge cinema screen which plays till around 11 at night. That's fine with older kids I suppose, which I do have but we found it tiresome, it was just so loud into the night. We keep quite early hours so it bothered us. The other side "Courtyard" has again a large pool and also slide and that is where I would stay if we go again. There's a bowling alley on site, that's cool. One large self service restaurant - good, general food and snacks but quite expensive. Also a Starbucks and a lobby bar.

I have to say I loved it I really did. There were regularly characters in the lobby eg Marilyn and Buddy Holly, in keeping with the 50's theme.

NickiFury Sat 12-Mar-16 10:31:22

Oh and the restaurant is kind of like a mini Food Court really eg one counter does fresh made pizza/pasta, one salads and so on.

Bunbaker Sat 12-Mar-16 10:51:32

We just want a quiet room. DD will be 16 so doesn't keep early hours, although with jetlag we will be at first. We will just have a room as there will only be two of us.

I know the Cabana Bay is the budget option, but the holiday is an expensive one for us. The price hike to anywhere else in Universal is just too high.

VimFuego101 Sat 12-Mar-16 10:55:39

Cabana bay is lovely. I'm sure you can request a quiet area, I can't remember the name of our building but I never heard noise from the movie showings.

Bunbaker Sat 12-Mar-16 10:59:41

How far is it from City Walk? We will have a car BTW.

Will all the eating places be manically crowded in July?

NickiFury Sat 12-Mar-16 11:15:11

Cabana Bay doesn't feel like a budget option, not one bit, which is why I am questioning paying extra for the Hard Rock confused

There's a bus to city walk, about 5-10 minutes. We never waited for one. There was always one at the stop filling up. We never walked so can't tell you length of walk I am afraid.

NickiFury Sat 12-Mar-16 11:17:16

It will be busy, so I would definitely take advantage of early entrance. When we went we had done all the good rides first thing so we're able to be leisurely. We left the parks by half one (when most busy) swam in the afternoon and then went back for a couple of hours in the evening.

Bunbaker Sat 12-Mar-16 12:13:24

That's great advice thank you. I will probably be back for more advice nearer the time.

mogloveseggs Sat 12-Mar-16 13:04:48

21 years since I've been to florida but blizzard beach was brilliant grin

Bunbaker Sat 12-Mar-16 17:10:58

We won't be doing any water parks. We both wear glasses and prefer just to swim, rather than mess about.

NickiFury Sat 12-Mar-16 17:48:47

Thanks Mog. I have been looking and I think BB is the way to go.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now