planning Florida next year but would like to tag on DC and NYC - any advice?

(8 Posts)
Makemineacabsauv Sun 28-Feb-16 20:35:07

Looking for cheapest way to do this on a budget - would like to do 2 weeks in Florida for kids pref on I Drive self catering and a few days in DC and NYC. Got friends in NYC so accommodation there not a problem. Been getting a bit tied up in it all! We have the time in summer hols but not an unlimited budget. Thanks for any advice.

Daisy03 Sun 28-Feb-16 20:40:10

Best way to do it would be to buy flights using the 'multi city' options, U.K. to Florida, and either NYC or Washington back to home. (Or the other way about if doing Florida at end)
You can then use a budget carrier like JetBlue to travel between either Florida and nyc or Washington whichever way you decide to do it and I think you'd be easiest train between nyc and dc

Daisy03 Sun 28-Feb-16 20:42:23

Flights are the most expensive part so I'd play around with the different combinations to see which would come in cheapest, then use a site such as trivago to look at the accommodation options.
Amtrak website is good for trains

Makemineacabsauv Sun 28-Feb-16 20:58:19

Thank you! I lived in the U.S. many years ago but either drive or used Greyhounds. DD is not a great traveller so do t think she'd appreciate the drive to Fliorida. Think I've just bamboozled myself with too many options! We have the 6 weeks summer hols so feel we should maximise the opportunity of DD agreeing to cross the Atlantic!! Budget not great but hey ho!! Same old story and we always manage!

Daisy03 Sun 28-Feb-16 21:16:58

We are doing Florida then New York this summer, JetBlue is reasonably cheap between Mco and nyc so found its really only the transatlantic flights costing the big money, slightly cheaper if not flying on the weekend.
Once you get the big flights sorted everything else can be sorted from there

Makemineacabsauv Mon 29-Feb-16 00:11:04

Thanks, we are in Scotland so the big flights are what kills the budget! Thinking of going via Dublin to do the paperwork in Ireland x

AttilaTheMeerkat Mon 29-Feb-16 07:33:02

Jet Blue is reasonably cheap BUT like many such US carriers charge for all checked bags (i.e. all that go into the hold). You could well get stung with the bag fees (they currently charge $20/$25 for the first bag, $35 for the second and a very steep $100 for the third. If you use them twice you would pay those charges twice).

Have a look at suites based chains like the Embassy Suites; they also include breakfast as part of the room rate.

Going via Dublin may be an option as you would be able to clear US immigration there but it could also add time to an already long day.

FL in the summer also can be very humid with thunderstorms.

Makemineacabsauv Tue 01-Mar-16 22:28:11

Thank you! Yes I know about the weather but we can't go at Easter and I'm tied to school hols. Think we need decent baggage allowance as teenage DC will def want to go shopping!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now