Talk

Advanced search

Muscat

(6 Posts)
MrsFlorrick Fri 12-Feb-16 12:56:54

We are going to Muscat over the half term. DH and I plus DD 6 and DS 4.

What are the best, don't miss, things to do and see??

We are staying at Shangri La Banda Jissah Al Waha.

Both DC have been snorkelling several times before so planning a boat trip and I've seen various snorkelling sites nearby. Also hoping there will be a little snorkelling from the beach as DD really enjoys it.

We were keen to go to the Souk in old Muscat. Would this be suitable? Bearing in mind DS is 4 (4.5 really)?

Wondering about either a trip to the national museum or perhaps a day trip to somewhere else?

Read various guides (Lonely Planet etc) and trip advisor plus some expat forums.

Just hoping for a few last minute pointers really
smile

GreenSand Fri 12-Feb-16 14:03:33

No ideas, but its a weekend destination from here, and on our "to do" list as everyone raves about it.
If there are any trips, or possibility to get out of the city, and into the mountains, that also seems to get rave reviews.
Enjoy!

MrsFlorrick Fri 12-Feb-16 14:11:04

Greensand. Thanks. Will look at a day in the mountains. I'm sure hotel arranges various trips like that.

SJane45S Sun 21-Feb-16 14:00:45

My experience of Muscat is absolutely ancient (we used to go there for short breaks from Dubai when I was a teenager) but hopefully will be a bit useful! Muscat is lovely - set in the Hajar mountains and much more attractive than Dubai. Parts of it are old Arabia but there's been a lot of development and some parts along the coast look quite Mediterranean. The souk was fine - I don't remember having any of the kind of hassle we've had in Marrakech recently. It's pretty old, worth seeing and fine for kids. The Corniche is very pretty. The sea's good for snorkelling.

We had friends in Muscat who'd take us out wadi bashing (4 wheel driving in valleys in the mountains, finding little oasis') and to Nizwa which I remember liking.

I'm sure there's been some change - but probably not of the same scale as Dubai. I liked it a lot & would happily go back!

ShangriLaLaLa Wed 24-Feb-16 21:05:11

I found the souk and the Corniche overrated. Far too hot to be out and about with my (then) 4 year old, who hated it. But that's just us and other people rave about it. We went on a desert safari and visited The Grand Mosque. Hope you have a lovely time.

ShangriLaLaLa Wed 24-Feb-16 21:06:37

Goodness Mrs F, just realised you're probably back by now. Hope it was fantastic!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now