Orlando (Gulf Coast) Beach resorts??

(13 Posts)
Tiredemma Sun 07-Feb-16 14:29:21

Planning to go back in October 2017 - we went in 2012 and did Orlando 10 nights and one of the Keys (Duck Key) for the last 4 nights.

The drive to the Keys wasnt great as we found ourselves caught in Hurricane Sandy. We then had a flight back from Miami
Ideally looking for a nice resort on the Gulf Coast- any recommendations?

We are staying in a villa in Orlando so wouldnt mind splashing out on a nice hotel in the beach resort. DS1 will be 17, DS2 14 and DD will be 4.

LagunaBubbles Tue 09-Feb-16 16:04:39

I have never been but we are planning Florida for next year to, based in Orlando but loads trips through the state. I have been looking at Clearwater.

Cheshireblue Sun 14-Feb-16 16:57:34

Naples is beautiful - beaches are fab. It is a 4 hour drive from Orlando but a very straightforward journey. If you don't fancy that then Sarasota is lovely too - it's about 2 hours from Orlando and again a straightforward journey. I have stayed at the ritz Carlton in both places and they are gorgeous

Phwoggy Sun 14-Feb-16 17:07:59

I stayed at the Silver Surf Beach resort on Bradenton Beach last February and it was lovely, they have a sister resort that offers more but we didn't go. It was about 2 hours from Orlando, not far from Sarasota. The beaches and the sunsets are stunning and the inter-linking islands have so much to offer.

ihatethecold Sun 14-Feb-16 17:10:52

We have stayed at Clearwater twice and Treasure Island once.
Both excellent places to be after Orlando.

There is an amazing diner in Clearwater next to the marriot hotel that we still talk about 3 years later. we went every morning for the best cheapest breakfast whilst watching the sunrise over the gulf.

ihatethecold Sun 14-Feb-16 17:13:38

maggie-maes.com

this is it

Waydugo Sun 14-Feb-16 17:29:09

Just booked another visit to St Pete Beach for this Easter. It'll be our third time staying there. Stayed twice at Tradewinds which is brilliant for kids. Staying at the sister hotel Guy Harvey Outpost this time but still able to use all the facilities. Love St Pete Beach as it's quieter than Clearwater. Naples was lovely too.

iknowimcoming Sun 14-Feb-16 17:30:05

We stayed in Marco Island for a week two years ago and it was lovely, we had a lovely little shop/restaurant area a short stroll from our hotel (which was on the beach) where we had some fantastic meals out and the snook inn (which was recommended to us by some people we got chatting to on the Disney bus in Orlando) was a short cab ride away and was fab. Lots of Americans holiday on Marco Island not so many overseas tourists so wasn't too touristy.

Awks Sun 14-Feb-16 17:35:56

We went to St Pete beach last Summer for 5 nights after Disney. It was absolutely the best bit of the holiday - loved every single thing about it. Stayed here and it was blissful. Am jel grin

Awks Sun 14-Feb-16 17:38:24

Our kids were similar ages to yours and PCI was cool. Full of gorgeous surfy locals. I felt ancient like I belonged delusional

dynevoran Sun 14-Feb-16 17:39:54

Sanibel island is lovely. Also like Naples and spb.

imonaplane Sun 14-Feb-16 19:42:33

Anna Maria Island, Venice, Siesta Key, Englewood, Fort Myers, Sanibel, Captiva, Naples. All lovely.

Tiredemma Sun 14-Feb-16 20:39:07

ahh wow!! thanks all- going to have a look at all these recommendations now

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now