Talk

Advanced search

Flights to NYC

(11 Posts)
Eebs Sat 06-Feb-16 09:51:37

We are flying to to NYC this summer to visit family upstate. It's been years since I flew long-haul and then I was single and just got the cheapest deal, didn't worry about stop-overs extras etc. I don't mind paying a bit extra for a particular airline or direct flight as I want the make the experience as good as it can be. However, the choice is overwhelming! Is it worth going BA or Virgin for a bit more money or are some of the airlines that are cheaper but with a stop over worth it? I.e. Aer Lingus or KLM? Any tips on car hire? Thanks

Loraline Sat 06-Feb-16 09:54:10

The big plus for AerLingus is that you clear immigration in Dublin. The queues for immigration in NY can be horrendous but with Aer Lingus you land in a domestic terminal in JFK and sail through because they've done it all before you board when the only people queueing are your flight.

Eebs Sat 06-Feb-16 10:01:28

Oh that is a big plus. I haven't been to nyc for 15 years and still remember the horrors of jfk immigration. How is it as an airline. I forgot to say I will be travelling with DH and 2 dads aged 6 and 9

Loraline Sat 06-Feb-16 10:08:50

I've never really had a as experience with them. Fly London-Dublin regularly but have done NY, Boston, LA and Washington too. They're as good as BA. Not massive extras or frills but good standards and nice staff. You can book flights from UK all the way through so bags are transferred at Dublin or Shannon as and you get all boarding passes at check in in UK

Paddybare Sat 06-Feb-16 10:09:13

I've flown to NYC a number of times over the last few years, the last time being July last year. At JFK at least, they now have automatic immigration kiosks which are great- it meant that I queued for no longer than about 15 minutes at a really busy time of year. It seems things really are improving in that regard.

For me, the inconvenience of a one stop flight just isn't worth it, especially with relatively young DCs (unless you'll be saving serious £££) The only exception for me would be using Aer Lingus via Dublin but it still means a good 3 or so hours added on to what is already a fairly long journey.

Loraline Sat 06-Feb-16 10:09:31

I meant had a bad experience.

Loraline Sat 06-Feb-16 10:11:03

I haven't done JFK in a few years so if it's improved then it might not be worth it to go via Dublin

AttilaTheMeerkat Sat 06-Feb-16 11:30:20

TBH I would fly direct into either JFK or Newark rather than transit through Dublin, it will just add more time to an already long day. If you were travelling on your own then it merits consideration, with two children in tow I would always fly direct.

Also if you did travel via Dublin would you have to return to the UK via Dublin as well?. On the overnight return flight that is not something I would want to do!.

It did not take us very long at all last time to clear US immigration at JFK, the lines were reasonable and there were plenty of staff manning the desks.

Traffic levels out of JFK towards Manhattan though are still bad.

Eebs Sat 06-Feb-16 18:07:22

Thanks everyone. Sorry had to go off into real life. Has helped me a lot though

Whatsthematterwithme Tue 09-Feb-16 16:37:01

I used to fly twice a month to JFK for a year and always with Virgin Atlantic. I fly regularly with them and can't recommend them enough.

rookiemere Wed 10-Feb-16 21:59:44

If it's possible to go direct, that's what I'd do. It doesn't feel that long a flight if you do it in one go.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now