San Francisco Accommodation

(12 Posts)
saintursula Sat 30-Jan-16 16:19:52

Any top tips for a family of four going next xmas just for a few nights? Have provisionally booked a back up hotel called The Marker but interested in any cheaper alternatives. Air BNB options look almost as pricey as the hotel!

snowypenguin Sat 30-Jan-16 17:10:09

SFO is expensive full stop sadly. I have done a youth hostel which is didn't like much and last time stayed at the kimpton hotel which I highly recommend. Can't remember the costs though.

HappyHeart87 Sat 30-Jan-16 17:16:16

10 years ago I stayed at "HI San Francisco Fishermans Wharf" for 3 weeks. I loved it. Right on a cliff overlooking the sea with views of Alcatraz and GGBridge. Food to buy in the evening was fresh and tasty. They do dorms and private / family rooms.

SquirrelledAway Sat 06-Feb-16 08:58:57

You could also look at staying in Oakland - the BART is quick and easy to use to get to downtown SF.

bruffin Sat 06-Feb-16 09:37:25

We are staying in the Handlery in Union Square for 4 days in august/september part of a 20 day road trip and it is a almost a 20% of our entire bill for 4 of us, San Francisco is expensive!

rookiemere Sat 06-Feb-16 21:24:56

Not been there yet but am sussing out reasonably priced accommodation for a stay later this year on my own for a wedding.

This place:www.jdvhotels.com/hotels/california/san-francisco-hotels/hotel-del-sol/?rt=google%7Ccpc%7CHDS01-HotelDelSol-Brand%7C%2Bjoie%20%2Bde%20%2Bvivre%20%2Bhotel%20%2Bdel%20%2Bsol&adpos=1t2&gclid=CMb8kKmI5MoCFYcp0wodPUwGfgv has family rooms
or this one has a suite/family room:
www.lombardplaza.com
both were fairly reasonably priced when I was looking for options.

starfleet Thu 11-Feb-16 13:26:28

bruffin - DS and I are also staying at the Handlery when we go in June/July.

bruffin Thu 11-Feb-16 13:38:22

I'm so excited Starfleet, are you just going to SF or doing a road trip like us. I havent had a big holiday since our honeymoon 25 yrs ago ( silver wedding anniversary in august)
The Handelry looks like a good location.

starfleet Thu 11-Feb-16 13:46:26

We are staying for 5 days in SF and then 3 days in NYC on the return leg

The holiday is a combined 16th birthday and managing to get to the end of GCSE's present for DS!

We were initially thinking of SF and then LA, I didn't fancy the driving and DS's favourite place is NY so we decided to go back there. The Handlery came as a personal recommendation from the travel agent I used after all the other hotels had really bad reviews when I looked them up.

Hope you have a fabulous time.

andadietcoke Thu 11-Feb-16 13:49:11

We stayed at the Kimpton at Christmas. Was about. £90 a night I think - we booked blind via Priceline but had a good idea of what it was going to be before we booked.

Hotel was fine and has a scheme where you get bar credit if you opt out of housekeeping. There's also a free wine thing every night.

bruffin Thu 11-Feb-16 13:58:51

We are doing the driving Starfleet.
Going to las Vegas, Grand Canyon, Flagstaff, Yosemite, SF, Santa Barbara ,Monteray , LA and San Diego.
The only hotel i am worried about is the San Diego one. But in context of this thread as i said above SF is so much more expensive than anywhere else we are staying.
We got an airbnb house in Yosemite for half of what we are paying on SF.

SquirrelledAway Fri 12-Feb-16 13:23:42

We stayed at the Hilton in San Diego, it's next to the convention centre and a short walk to the Gaslamp District. You can walk along the sea front to Seaport Village (crafty shops and cafes) and to the USS Midway.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now