Mauritius - La Pirogue or Trou aux Biches?

(5 Posts)
TheAardvark Thu 28-Jan-16 13:31:40

We are planning on travelling to Mauritius in July for two weeks with 3 kids, 12, 5 and 3 yrs old and looking to be on the West coast to avoid the winds. Am currently debating between La Pirogue or Trou aux Biches.

La Pirogue - I have been told interconnecting rooms are not guaranteed. Although this would make for a peaceful holiday not sure that it's ideal. The beach looks amazing here, better than Trou aux Biches. Hotel is a little dated apparently. Kids club - apparently you need an extra babysitter to put the 3 yr old in the kids club (or you supervise which defeats the purpose!).

Trou aux Biches - beach not as nice as La P, eroded and narrow. Hotel recently refurbished and much more modern though. Narrow beach means kids in water (drowning) quicker. Supposed to be better for teens. They do family rooms, whereas La P don't - just the interconnecting ones.

Does anyone have any experience/advice to give. Are we mad to go in July???

Thanks

Whatdoidohelp Thu 28-Jan-16 13:38:25

One thing that has popped into my head is to look at driving distances from the airport as the transfers can be quite long. The roads and drivers leave a bit to be desired if I'm honest, even the chauffeur we had was positively frightening.

We were on the east coast and had no wind issues. Stayed at Lux Belle Mare. Very very nice and a lovely beach. Have stayed at Oberoi as well but I wouldn't consider it child friendly.

TheAardvark Thu 28-Jan-16 15:11:36

Ah thank you. There seems to be 10 minutes difference so not too bad. I was advised that because we are travelling in July the east coast is more likely to get the rain and wind apparently. Lux belle mare looks amazing but I was concerned about the weather. What time of year did you go?

Whatdoidohelp Thu 28-Jan-16 17:09:36

We went in September and I think it rained on our first full day. I was gutted. The rest of the week was lovely. It's such a long way to go and not cheap so sticking to the west is prob for the best. Make sure you get your immunisations done oh and also see if you can get a stopover for free somewhere. We flew Emirates and went via Dubai on the way home. Doing that and a two night stay there equaled the price of staying in Mauritius. Was nice to do some sightseeing after relaxing for a full week in Mauritius. The Middle East will be hot as hell in July though!

FGSdontblameme Fri 29-Jan-16 14:17:49

Haven't been to either but have been to two Beachcomber hotels, The Shandrani and Le Paradis. Both were brilliant for kids, my 11 & 12 year olds water skied, sailed & played tennis all day. We went 3 years in a row in August and loved it.
It wasn't really hot, but like a lovely summer day here.
Go with BA though, Air Mauritius are awful.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now