Talk

Advanced search

Travelling to Australia with a formula fed 5 month old baby - advice needed please!

(6 Posts)
Laurakirsty79 Sun 24-Jan-16 21:13:02

Hi
I'm travelling to Sydney so my in-laws can meet their new grandchild and I need advice on which formula to buy when we're out there. My daughter has Aptimel here in the Uk so we're going to take the bottles of liquid Aptimel with us on the flight (I've been assured by Emirates that this won't be a problem when we change in Dubai...) but I don't know what to give her when we're out there. It appears that Karricare might be the nearest to the UK Aptimel but there is Gold+ and Gold+ HA. Does anyone know the difference between these 2? Has anyone done this trip and found a suitable formula over there that suited their child? Or is it best to take the UK tubs with us, bearing in mind we're going for 4 weeks. Reassurance from anyone who has changed in Dubai with lots of liquid formula would also be greatly appreciated!! Many thanks in advance.
Laura

snowypenguin Mon 25-Jan-16 21:48:56

As you are on Emirates you will have 30kilos of luggage. Plenty space to take tubs with you. That's what we did. Saves any tummy upsets switching over.

Diddlydokey Mon 25-Jan-16 21:52:48

We took it with us. Took an empty hand luggage and collected an order from boots after security basically filling the hand luggage with cartons, ready made bottles and a couple of tubs.

dementedpixie Mon 25-Jan-16 21:54:36

Are you buying the premade aptamil after security as they may make you taste them if you buy them before getting to the airport? I'd take tubs of it in you luggage probably

Scotinoz Tue 26-Jan-16 02:29:02

I'd take formula with you. As others have said, Emirates have a huge allowance, plus infants get an additional allowance.

Formula is a bit of a sticky subject in parts of Australia at the moment too. People are buying up massive amounts to export to Asia, since it's considered 'safer' than Asian made formula. Thus, some formula in some areas is like gold dust.

Plus formula is $25 a tin, and you can only buy tons. No pre-made cartons here. 😕

Laurakirsty79 Fri 29-Jan-16 14:23:16

This is all really helpful, thank you. I was in 2 minds about what to do and worried I was being over the top by taking our own but you have all put my mind at rest and I will take our formula out with us. Thank you very much!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now