Talk

Advanced search

New York - Restaurant recommendations

(10 Posts)
whostolethesocks Sun 24-Jan-16 18:42:48

Going over Valentines weekend and would love some ideas for places to eat for myself and OH - places a little different, good value and not too swanky. Also thinking that at least for Valentine's Day we should have something booked up so would love to find somewhere nice/different for that day if anyone has any recommendations (but not too expensive). We are staying not too far from Times Square by the way. Can anyone help?

mouldycheesefan Tue 26-Jan-16 08:59:51

We enjoyed a restaurant called the red eye grill, opposite carnegie hall, a few mins walk from Times Square. They had a pianist who sang and she was excellent, she also does requests, put a few dollars in her tip bowl. As we were eating dinner she started singing the song we had the first dance to at our wedding, dh had sneakily asked her to. Food was lovely and it wasn't too posh.
One of the bars up the top of the Rock would also be good or similar with great view.
Have a great time.

whostolethesocks Tue 26-Jan-16 19:19:06

Thanks for that MouldyCheese. It looks nice. The trouble is I'm sure there are lots of restaurants in NYC but I don't want to miss any gems. I'm also thinking we should book something for Valentine's Day at least!

ShotgunNotDoingThePans Tue 26-Jan-16 19:27:58

Red Rooster in Harlem. Right by the subway or you could get a cab. You can order food at the bar and eat while you watch the dead cool, sharply dressed bar staff.
Great music and vibe, massive portions - we've sometimes just had starters.
I remember Jay Rayner reviewing it when we first went to ny and it had recently opened.

ShotgunNotDoingThePans Tue 26-Jan-16 19:38:06

Couldn't find it, but found this one.

Titsywoo Tue 26-Jan-16 19:41:49

Try Johns on Bleeker St. It is an institution smile

I liked Keens steakhouse on 37th St - bit pricey but the steaks are amazing.

For a good breakfast there is a cafe under the bridge by Grand Central station - fab Eggs Benedict.

DH also says Sotto 13 is good.

Titsywoo Tue 26-Jan-16 19:44:35

www.johnsbrickovenpizza.com/

www.keens.com/

www.pershingsquare.com/

www.sotto13.com/

AtAmber Tue 26-Jan-16 19:46:35

We went to Mercato, 352 West 39th Street when we were there in the summer. We stayed in Times Square and walked to it. It's a small Italian restaurant and was delicious.

whostolethesocks Sat 30-Jan-16 20:00:26

Thanks for all the recommendations. Will take a look.

Karcheer Sat 30-Jan-16 20:22:24

Norma's for breakfast, le cirque for dinner.

Have fun!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now