Talk

Advanced search

Which airline to Oz has best business class if you need to sit next to your children? Help!

(27 Posts)
Blondie78 Mon 18-Jan-16 23:50:53

We are off to OZ/NZ for 6 weeks next Christmas. We are going to push the boat out and go business class if possible. 2 adults and 3 children. They are all very well behaved but my youngest who is 4 is quite scared of flying after a traumatic turbulence experience last year. I have to sit very close and be able to cuddle up if the plane gets turbulent as she always wants to sit on my lap but obviously has to be tucked into her own seatbelt.

A lot of the configurations of business class however make it so that you cannot see/touch the person next to you and have complete privacy. Has anyone flown business with kids where they were able to hold hands/cuddle their children next to them?? A #firstworldproblem i know, but nevertheless the advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

MoonlightandMusic Tue 19-Jan-16 00:14:21

It's been a while since I've flown long haul but, certainly when I was BA business would have suited as either the little one will fit in your seat or, if you get a window & aisle seat, you can just leave down the 'divider' between the two and that will work too.

Blondie78 Tue 19-Jan-16 00:16:28

Thank you MoonlightandMusic !

ChristineDePisan Tue 19-Jan-16 00:22:42

How old are your children? If they aren't hulking sox footers (plus DD4!) I might be tempted to do premium economy instead, so you have more space and comfort but without the lie flat beds which are designed for individual privacy rather than travelling as a family group

Blondie78 Tue 19-Jan-16 00:25:36

Yes looking at premium too but some airlines with the best prices don't have premium just economy and business and randomly business isn't always that much more expensive on the round ticket we need!

Ditsy4 Tue 19-Jan-16 00:26:49

I got upgraded last time. It was great. I didn't have children with me but the girl next to me had a 15 month old and I amused her so mum could catch up on a bit of sleep as she was going to her sister's wedding. It was really comfortable and much more room for little ones. If I could afford to I would travel business every time. I have only flown with Qantas business class but I have flown economy with both Qantas and Singapore Airlines. Singapore are more expensive but can't do enough for you and bring hot flannels regularity which really makes you feel better,
Potheir food was better too. Qantas are usually good and the food was fine but the British Airlines leg wasn't always as good unfortunately.

ChristineDePisan Tue 19-Jan-16 00:58:52

Have you tried seatguru.com to check out the seat configurations of the airlines that you are considering?

diggerdigsdogs Tue 19-Jan-16 01:05:29

BA without a doubt.

If you get the two central rear facing seats you can be very close, definitely able to cuddle.

Singapore business the seats are miles apart. I did it with dd3 and ds1 and it wasn't great. Plus it's only 4 across the row so you can't all be in one row.

Cathay and virgin you're in a capsule so the walls are pretty high - not great.

I haven't done any of the UAE airlines so can't comment.

But we (2 adults and 3 dc) would do BA.

Blondie78 Tue 19-Jan-16 01:20:47

Thanks diggerdogs good to hear you've done it. Just seen the inside of Qantas on youtube that someone filmed and that looks a pretty good option too. Do you stop off on the way? And if so where and for how long? Thank you!! x

Whatsinaname2011 Tue 19-Jan-16 01:25:51

Definitely British airways but you have to book the two middle seats.

They have a 50% off business class sale at the moment. They normally have 3 sales a year. Roughly August December and February I think but give or take. Assume the one that's on now is instead of the February one.

diggerdigsdogs Tue 19-Jan-16 04:20:19

I can't remember if it's HKG or SIN I'm afraid.

Are you going to Sydney?

Just be careful when booking that you don't book a code share and end up on another carrier.

There are lots of flights so you can pretty much pick your stop off time.

You could stop on Hong Kong and have 24 hours exploring the city. Or where ever.

Qantas stop in Dubai I think and I'm pretty sure they code share so it wouldn't be a Qantas flight - that may not be true but I think it is.

I also have no experience of Qantas for business.

Finally I prefer to just get from a to b so would always rather have shortest stop over possible.

NewBallsPlease00 Tue 19-Jan-16 05:41:52

Emirates are in units but next to each other rather than the chevron layout of Virgin and air nz

NewBallsPlease00 Tue 19-Jan-16 05:42:44

Btw check carefully who any codeshares might be as things can vary hugely then

snowypenguin Tue 19-Jan-16 07:11:12

Yes double check codeshares but BA is perfect.

The two middle seats face the back of the plane.

snowypenguin Tue 19-Jan-16 07:12:09

Like this!

KP86 Tue 19-Jan-16 07:13:38

Emirates is good.

cymrukernow Tue 19-Jan-16 07:14:34

I just flew Singapore airlines econ - their business class seats a had two together in the mid section, though you'd have to check whether they are close enough for you. Check with airline. Use google images. Also look on YouTube, there are people who actually video their flights- useful if you want to see what the experience is like!

snowypenguin Tue 19-Jan-16 07:15:25

Qantas stops generally in Singapore. Emirates will be Dubai. Cathay will be Hong Kong and Malaysian is Kuala Lumpur. Most airlines will get you to most places so it just depends if you want a stop over. With a 6 week holiday I would. We have 3 this summer so are going straight to Perth.

snowypenguin Tue 19-Jan-16 07:15:56

Oh and check seat guru.

Ohthepressure Tue 19-Jan-16 08:36:00

Air New Zealand premium economy looks amazing, but only via LA, or their sky couch In economy is a great idea - www.airnewzealand.com.au/economy-skycouch

crabb Tue 19-Jan-16 08:40:37

Qantas stops in Dubai now. When they broke up with BA and got together with Emirates, the stopover changed from Singapore to Dubai.

PatriciaHolm Tue 19-Jan-16 10:05:26

Yes, BA; I've done Virgin, Eithad, and Singapore Airlines in Upper/Business to Australia (Melbourne), and those three aren't set up well for what you want to do. We didn't stop off at all; first time went via Hong Kong, others via Singapore or Abu Dhabi, but always just carried on through. Depends what you want to do in Aus; it's a big place so you could easily fill 6 weeks, we filled 4 weeks around Melbourne/Sydney/Barrier Reef.

diggerdigsdogs Tue 19-Jan-16 11:01:09

Yy to Qantas being Dubai now.

Also in Singapore there is no way to get from one middle seat to the other without either climbing over the foot wide arm rests or going na all the way around the galley.

Blondie78 Tue 19-Jan-16 11:55:05

Thank you everyone for all your help! Fantastic information! xx Just thinking of whether to stop off en route or go straight through!

Blondie78 Tue 19-Jan-16 11:58:35

Thanks Snowypenguin! xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now