Talk

Advanced search

Food that lasts. Long haul?

(31 Posts)
snowypenguin Sat 16-Jan-16 19:39:51

So we fly to Australia soon. DS is a good eater but won't eat wet food so if Emirates give spag Bol he wouldn't eat it. Nuggets and veg are fine. Thing is I obviously can't take the risk so need to pack food that will last the 20 hours or so we are on the go.

Any suggestions? We have fruit, crisps, croissants but beyond that getting a bit stuck on what will keep long enough. He doesn't eat cheese!

Even if I take an under 100 ml frozen cooler thing it's likely to have defrosted before we even get on the plane.

We plan on eating at Glasgow and hopefully there will be something at Dubai but he's awful if hungry so need to be prepared!

goodbyeyellowbrickroad Sat 16-Jan-16 19:47:32

Would he eat filled pasta like ravioli? I've done that for DS on a 10 hour flight and it kept well. Cold pizza with no cheese on it?

KanyesVest Sat 16-Jan-16 19:51:17

I find banana pancakes a godsend, I always have a few in the grab bag for snacks. They are really easy to make - mash a banana, an egg, half a cup of natural yoghurt and half a cup of milk together. Then add a cup of self raising flour and a teaspoon of baking powder and mix well. Dollop spoonfuls on a frying pan, flip when the underside is cooked. I get 10-12 out of that mix. They keep really well in a zip loc bag or Tupperware box.

KanyesVest Sat 16-Jan-16 19:52:47

Just a thought but could you request a special meal for him?

LeaLeander Sat 16-Jan-16 19:57:55

No cheese makes it difficult.

Peanut butter sandwiches? Bread and butter sandwiches? Cold pizza.
Grapes. Olives. Jerky (dried meat). Small cans of vienna sausage. Food storage tub of buttered noodles or whatever pasta he will eat? Nuts. Carrot sticks. Yogurt cups.

Can you pre-make turkey or chicken on croissant or roll and then freeze the sandwiches? they will defrost in your little bag as you travel and still be cool. My dad used to do that for us when we were little.

earlyriser Sat 16-Jan-16 19:59:45

Those mini packs of Ritz crackers or packs of oatcakes which are bit more filling. They generally have plenty bread rolls on board. Also mine tend not to eat very much on flights.

earlyriser Sat 16-Jan-16 20:01:01

I wouldn't risk using peanut butter in case there is someone on board with a nut allergy and they ask you not to eat any nuts.

snowypenguin Sat 16-Jan-16 20:05:04

Thanks. I am wary of any meet even if it starts out as a frozen roll or sandwich because it would be 20 hours later he wants something. I think I will have a look at asda snacks aisle and see what's there. Could be a very unhealthy day but it's only a day. I just can't think of anything that would keep. Mind you even I like a crisp roll every now and again!

Luckystar1 Sat 16-Jan-16 20:09:26

Savoury and sweet muffins? Easy to make, ziplock bag and relatively healthy. Scones with mini butters and jam?

snowypenguin Sat 16-Jan-16 20:09:48

Good idea with muffins.

Luckystar1 Sat 16-Jan-16 20:13:59

Wohoo I never have good ideas! Good luck with the flight!

CatsCantFlyFast Sat 16-Jan-16 20:22:19

Our view on long haul with children is the rules go out the window. So healthy vs unhealthy doesn't matter, nor does tv time for example

There's some good organix/goodies type fruity breakfast type bars - they'll keep fine and are filling in place of a sandwich. Raw veg or fruit (eg carrot/cucumber sticks/cherry tomatoes, grapes, strawberries) would keep ok in a ziplock with a piece of wet kitchen roll. Could you take rolls and separate fillings to make sarnies as you go? Eg individual pots of jam or peanut butter. Or better still make the sandwiches and take them frozen - they'll defrost on the journey. Cold pasta salad would keep ok for the first part of the journey.
Where are you stopping off? Could you restock for the second half of the journey when you stop?
Or, you could ask the airline to keep things in the fridge for you - as long as it's not too big they shouldn't mind

CatsCantFlyFast Sat 16-Jan-16 20:23:05

Sorry just saw somebody else has mentioned Frozen sarnies!

snowypenguin Sat 16-Jan-16 20:31:22

Oh the little pots of jam! Perfect! I will get the little bags of fruit and carrots so they don't dry out and a punnet of strawberries will be good. Some cake/muffins will hopefully work as well. Crisps and sweets too. Juice airside.

mouldycheesefan Sun 17-Jan-16 08:21:27

Raisins
Yo yos or other dried fruit, w.g dried mango, dried apricots
Crisps
Bread sticks
Mini packet,s of biscuits
Ritz crackers
Cheerios or other cereal, you can buy in bags and eat dry.

There will be some things on the flight he can eat e.g bread roll, crackers, pretzels, dessert even if cannot eat the main course

I would buy sandwiches airside and take them on, use those up first whilst still fresh keep the dry stuff for later

Have a large meal at the airport prior to boarding

mouldycheesefan Sun 17-Jan-16 08:22:22

Completely agree about don't worry about healthy eating, it is one day and whatever gets ypu the pith the journey. My children seem to eat constantly when travelling

LagunaBubbles Tue 19-Jan-16 09:52:38

Does he like pate? Ive saw little individual pots of pate that dont require refridgeration before, take some crackers. Also you get those nutella snack pots if he likes them.

minipie Tue 19-Jan-16 10:17:33

Hard boiled eggs? leave them in their shell and they keep well till peeled. (Might stink out your neighbours a bit though).

Avocado

Salami

I would take some stuff that lasts less well eg cold nuggets - and just make sure he eats that first!

TBH my DC always live off snacks on planes, it doesn't seem to hurt.

Does he drink milk - that is always available on planes, you just need to ask. that will get some protein in.

Scotinoz Wed 20-Jan-16 03:01:11

Emirates always have loads of snacks on the flights to Oz, and huge meals.

There's rolls and crackers with dinner. I'm sure one meal is quite often a sandwich/crackers/crisps thing. They have little cereal bars in the galley during the flight too. There's s couple of choices each meal too so you'll probably find something okay.

Dubai has 'safe' options like Starbucks for loading up for the longer stretch (they have some yummy veggie sandwiches).

I let pretty much anything go on flights with my toddler, she's eat what seems like her entire weight on flights. You could freeze yoghurt squeezies to uses as ice packs, and then eat them. Dried fruit, fresh fruit (dump it before AU customs), crackers, savoury rolls, fruit squeezies etc

Destinysdaughter Wed 20-Jan-16 03:38:44

Flapjacks
Cherry tomatoes
Humous and pittas
Mini quiches
Milkshakes?

MrsWatson8 Wed 20-Jan-16 04:35:47

Why won't he eat wet food? No wonder he won't eat it if the alternative is cakes, muffins, sweets and crisps. grin

I would start telling him now that he will be going on a plane and will have to eat the food he is given as there won't be other alternatives. Maybe this trip could be a catalyst for change? smile

SeoulSista Wed 20-Jan-16 04:44:00

As far as I remember on Emirates they have a snack box option: so crackers; (cheese); fruit; dessert. I also think you can request a special meal in advance (e.g. Just pasta, or fries and nuggets served in separate dishes)

In the Dubai stop off I would recommend buying some dates from the shop that sells loads of different types.

snowypenguin Wed 20-Jan-16 07:46:51

It's a texture thing with wet food. If I gave him a plate of pasta, mince and tomatoes all separately he will eat it. He just won't eat it altogether. I won't force the issue. We manage and he eats well. I was force fed food as a chil. I just won't do it with mine

mouldycheesefan Wed 20-Jan-16 11:10:18

Please done eat hard boiled eggs in a plane it's not nice for other passengers.

Yes the Emirates snack box is a sugar fest, chocolate, giant bag of sweets etc. just what you want them to have when they, are trapped in a seat for hours!

minipie Wed 20-Jan-16 11:33:21

snowy I was the same as a child - I didn't like any sauces, stews, bol etc. With hindsight the main reason wasn't because they were wet (though this was part of it), it was because I didn't like the onion taste which forms the base of most wet meals. I did start to eat non oniony wet food as an older child, took me until late teens to like oniony stuff though. Just mentioning in case it's helpful to you (of course with your DS it may be just texture).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now