Talk

Advanced search

Anyone flown with Norwegian?

(20 Posts)
originalmavis Sun 10-Jan-16 23:46:26

Since I'm boycotting BA, I saw some suspiciously cheap flights to the US with Norwegian.

What's the catch? Will we be in the hold or flapping our arms out the window?

DramaAlpaca Sun 10-Jan-16 23:48:01

I don't know about longhaul so this may not be helpful at all, but DS has flown shorthaul with them & thought they were very good.

VimFuego101 Sun 10-Jan-16 23:55:39

The price you see is the base fare - you pay extra for bags, meals on board etc. If you read the small print and travel light it might be a good deal for you. All the reviews I've read said the planes themselves are very nice.

originalmavis Mon 11-Jan-16 07:25:59

It's half what we paid last year with BA (and that was with a mates rates discount!).

Ridingthegravytrain Mon 11-Jan-16 07:36:10

Yes. Flight was fine but nothing is included (food, drink etc) you need to order on top of flight cost. They only accept cards on board to pay so bear that in mind

HumptyDumptyBumpty Mon 11-Jan-16 07:41:39

Used to travel regularly with them (short haul) and rate them v highly.

FloraTheU Mon 11-Jan-16 07:43:33

I flown shorthaul only, they had free WiFi and the meal I bought was very tasty. Much better than the return leg with BA, I'd have rather the flight was a little cheaper and had the option to buy what I wanted to eat rather than the pathetic 'meal' BA served.

patterkiller Mon 11-Jan-16 07:50:34

I was looking a while ago and reviews look good. Can I ask when you were looking to fly?

boatyroo Mon 11-Jan-16 08:00:48

I've flown with them to San Francisco from Stockholm and found them pretty good. As mentioned, food isn't included and is quite expensive on board so we took our own. The plane was very nice.
It was massively cheaper than other airlines even with the cost of the flight to Stockholm first included.

originalmavis Mon 11-Jan-16 08:02:52

Possibly late august

Queenbean Mon 11-Jan-16 08:04:23

How come you're boycotting BA?

sphinxster Mon 11-Jan-16 08:04:59

No personal experience. My parents flew with them to Barcelona in the summer and thought they were very good. Parents are well travelled and have experienced lots of airlines.

Merrylegs Mon 11-Jan-16 08:23:40

Yes. It was fab I would fly again.

Bigger seat pitch, nicer air in cabin because plane flies higher, bigger windows to look out of, and best of all no cabin service.
It's blissful. No smelly food (unless your neighbour orders), no balancing trays, no being interrupted with breakfast at 3am when you are snoozing, no blocking of aisles. You are just left alone for the whole flight. We bought food in Gatwick - lovely sandwiches, snacks, drinks, big bottle of water etc and it was so civilised.

Also they don't charge extra for a suitcase on long haul.

Merrylegs Mon 11-Jan-16 08:25:08

(Flying to US)

PartyCityGhoul Mon 11-Jan-16 08:44:04

Flew with them to NY, was impressed. No food but we ate before and after and it was fine. The seats were huge, DH is 6 ft 5 and 19 stone and was comfortable in just standard economy class. Can't quite remember the baggage, i think it was 50 quid a bag, but we only wanted one so actually better than paying for increased priced tickets covering more baggage.

The flight back was delayed and they gave us $20 each for food in the airport to compensate - i don't fly often enough to know if that's standard but still!

Pidapie Mon 11-Jan-16 08:47:46

Norwegian is great! I've only flown short distances (3 hours etc) with them, and the leg space have been a bit smaller than more expensive airlines, but no problem really. You pay extra for luggage, and if you want to decide where to sit. You also have to pay for your food/drink. But all in all, worth it imo. Hope you have a good trip!

ohdearlord Mon 11-Jan-16 08:52:24

Flown Norwegian Long and Short haul many times (Stockholm is my nearest airport). They are generally brilliant - except for Scandinavian prices for food and drink on board.

Last I flew long-haul baggage was included up to 20kg.

originalmavis Mon 11-Jan-16 08:56:18

All sounds great!

My BA bug is with years of stroppy rude service (which was getting better), getting snared at by a check in woman when I looked at her as she was yelling at my aunt (honestly, I was trying to keep out if it but caught me eye!). That and DH getting the 'sir can we just haul you aside for a completely random and in no way racist check?' after not being able to check on or pre print boarding passes ('just a random hitch') every single time we fly.

DeliveredByKiki Sun 24-Jan-16 04:43:01

I flew long haul LAX-GTW-LAX in September with them because they were half the price of next cheapest ticket. We have 2DC so end up taking food onboard regardless. DH bought some food on the plane. We DID have to pay for all luggage.

Pros: new plane, really lovely staff who were super helpful and nice. We were able to reserve seats altogether without paying extra

Cons: they have a small fleet so be aware if anything is wrong with your aircraft they can't just roll out one of their spares like the bigger airlines can. We got text 5 hours before departure from LAX saying there was a technical fault so the flight was cancelled. Thankfully they chartered another flight for the following day (a really shit old plane but they compensated us with a $25 voucher per person and provided meals onboard for free) and luckily we live in LA but no other compensation was offered and I've heard tales of people being stranded for days.

So I'd only fly outside of holiday season as then more likely they can get you on another flight quicker if they run into problems.

On their actual flight (coming back again) everything went well and smoothly and the staff were lovely so it ended up being worth it for the savings in price but it was very stressful having the flight cancelled and not knowing until the following day when we'd be put on another

SJane45S Tue 26-Jan-16 11:50:32

I've flown with them short haul return to Norway and my husband uses them frequently for business. All fine and great quality for the price. The only slightly odd thing I noticed was that the aircraft on take off and ascent both times made a strange noise which was a bit alarming. The flight was good with no problems so I just assume it was a different aircraft.

One thing that has put me off a bit using them longhaul is that they're using new Dreamliners which have had safety issues. All feedback on their service looks good though and the prices are great.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now