Talk

Advanced search

Another US East Coast thread

(9 Posts)
Allfurcoatandnoknickers Sun 10-Jan-16 17:17:34

My 18yo son is about to embark on a 7 month trip ending in New York. We are hoping to fly out to join him at the end of July with our 13yo and then travel up the East coast after spending a couple of days in NYC. I think we'll have 2 weeks and I was hoping to travel up to Boston. We like a combination of city and beach and wondered if anyone had done this sort of trip and had any recommendations? I don't want to spend all the time in the city as it will be very hot!

Thethingswedoforlove Wed 13-Jan-16 09:41:15

Assume ou are considering cape cod? Beaches pretty close to Boston where it is common for Americans to spend their summer vacation.

Costacoffeeplease Wed 13-Jan-16 10:06:13

Love Boston and cape cod - we stayed in Hyannis but travelled around a bit - also worth a stop in Plimouth to visit the plantation

ihateminecraft Wed 13-Jan-16 18:47:40

Sorry to hijack but is Cape Cod quite compact? Also, how long would you suggest staying there? Would a week be sufficient?

Costacoffeeplease Wed 13-Jan-16 20:19:32

It's not that compact, due to the shape of it, it depends when you're going and what you want to do - as a beach holiday you could do two weeks, as sightseeing probably a week would do

ihateminecraft Wed 13-Jan-16 21:41:41

Is the weather reliable enough in the summer for a beach holiday?

Costacoffeeplease Wed 13-Jan-16 22:58:19

I think so - we went a bit early, over Easter IIRC, but I think they get good summers

Bambambini Thu 14-Jan-16 13:21:55

Watching as we are planning our own EC holiday for August and looking Cape Cod, Martha's Vinyard etc. Just booked a hotel for Boston and really need to get our arses in gear!

TreadSoftlyOnMyDreams Thu 14-Jan-16 13:32:40

Newport in Rhode Island is lovely. Lots to see too with the mansions etc and some nice beaches on the island. Stayed there in July for three weeks and other than a 15 mins thundery downpour at 2pm daily the weather was glorious.

I've taken the bus from NY to Newport and it was about 6 hrs. I was a student though so I'm sure there are faster / more expensive ways to get there.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now