Talk

Advanced search

I really like the sound of Sri Lanka

(19 Posts)
Iateallthemincepies Wed 30-Dec-15 16:56:00

DH, 2 older teens and me. I'm thinking Galle, Kandy, Yala then Trico. Does that sound doable in 2 weeks.
Any advice welcome, I've looked on TA but the info is very specific.

nannyafrica Fri 01-Jan-16 11:48:38

Hi we love Sri Lanka. We went on a cheap 2 week all inc package but did 2/3 day trips. After returning home we missed it that much we went back 3 weeks later for 3 weeks touring around the island. We used a local amazing company, Driver/guide. I can give you their details if you like. We love Galle but it did get really hot in the fort. Love Kandy, the temple is great but gets busy the atmosphere is amazing. We went to Yala but there are just too many vehicles to enjoy the park, if there is a leopard sighting its like the M25 drivers speeding to join a queue. We also went to Wilpattu National Park (our favorite place) saw 1 other 4x4 and got to see 2 leopards right next to our vehicle for over an hour. We also stayed in a little place in a rice field and did cookery lessons with a local family there were about 4 generations in the tiny kitchen cooking on a open wood fire.
I can let you know what route we did if interested. Our 3 week trip was just over £1000 each with flights that was also our hotels/b&b/ Car/ Driver /Fuel/ Driver accommodation.

nannyafrica Fri 01-Jan-16 12:06:11

Forgot to say you must do a train ride, we did Nuwara Elya to Ella and loved it. The driver dropped us off at the train station and made sure we had seats before he left us he then drove and was then ready to pick us up when we arrived at Ella. We went 3rd class and loved it, full of local families who offered us food. We took balloons and gave they to the kids we also took an instant camera and asked if we could take photos and then gave them the pictures (we had a queue by the end! ) We were hanging out the windows with the local kids watching the amazing view. There was also a guy going through the train selling homemade snack we bought loads and they were delicious. When the other tourists saw us eating the food they also bought some (he sold out!) he came and thanked us for buying from him at the end of the journey.

Iateallthemincepies Fri 01-Jan-16 12:17:57

Nanny thank you, it sounds wonderful.
Interesting to read that Wilpattu might be a better bet than Yala.
I'm actually researching doing as much as possible by train as long periods in a car don't appeal.
Will PM you.

chocoLit Fri 01-Jan-16 12:49:19

Sounds AMAZING, Sri Lanka has always been a dream of mine but youngest DC is only 7yrs so holding out a little longer.

SealSong Fri 01-Jan-16 13:14:51

I'm hoping to go this year. Nannyafrica, please can you let me know which local company you used for your driver / guide? Also your train travel to Ella, how did you find that? I'm travelling on my own and some people have said that travelling by train is not safe for a solo female, I still want to anyway, I thin it would be ok.

bruffin Fri 01-Jan-16 13:30:46

We did 2 weeks in the Maldives and then a week touring sri lanka with Kuoni. I think we ended with a custom package and had a driver and shared with one other couple. We went to colombo, galle, sigyria rock, dumbulla, yalle, kandy and nuwara eilaya, anadranuphura

PedantPending Sun 03-Jan-16 09:23:46

I have been going to Sri Lanka since 1998, great place, lovely people, amazing scenery. These days I tend to organise my own trips/book my own hotels etc. I have had very good experiences with Walkers' Tours for the more touristy things. Next stops on my list are Jaffna province and the east coast.

SaltySeaBird Sun 03-Jan-16 09:28:52

Nannyafrica could you send me the details too please? Sounds great!

How do you think much younger children would find it (3 year old and 6 month old)?

SteveBrucesNose Sun 03-Jan-16 09:37:45

We loved Sri Lanka

We did 3 stops only in 12 nights rather than a full-on tour, but did day trips from those places. We also did internal flights with Cinnamon Air instead of some long drives - was fantastic seeing the country from the air, and we were the only ones on the little plane.

Sigiriya is a must-see, as is the temple at Dambulla.

Our next trip is in the planning and will include Galle and Kandy

applecatchers36 Sun 03-Jan-16 09:38:57

We went to Sri Lanka & loved it. The people are very friendly. The scenery is beautiful, food is amazing, found it a much more relaxing holiday than India as didn't get hassled in same way. Did independent travel a combination of some train and some private taxi hire. Visited unawatuna, kandy, Nuwara Eliya, sigirya rock, dumballa, negomobo

Ifiwasabadger Sun 03-Jan-16 09:49:25

I love a 3.5 hour flight from Sri Lanka so have been heaps, five times in fact, I absolutely love it. I've been as a lone female and as a fact with DH and DD at varying ages.

I describe it as the love child of India and Barbados, very laid back and relaxed, food is amazing, people wonderful.

The driving is crazy and the roads not great, so it takes ages to get anywhere...the hotels will lie to you about the distance.

If it's your first time deff do kandy, pinewella for the elephant orphanages, galle is lovely but to be fair anywhere in the west coast is stunning.

It's my spiritual home!

applecatchers36 Sun 03-Jan-16 09:51:13

Oops posted too soon did it in a 2 1/2 weeks and arranged a lot via guide books and TA. Some places like unawatuna there is a lot of selection for places to stay and if u go low season probably OK not too book ahead. We booked a lot of B& B/ home stay accommodation which would recommend, so lovely to stay in people's homes, people were so hospitable and a different experience to more commercial accommodation.Not sure about very young children as did it before kids. Am thinking maybe beach resorts would be OK especially in the south. Some attractions might be limited e.g. sigirya rock too dangerous, young children not being up for sitting quietly in a car to try & spot wildlife etc.. Tea plantations probably OK, but travel might be too much.

Dinkydoos Sun 03-Jan-16 16:30:36

Hi, please can you also email the details nannyafrica
smile

MilkyChops Fri 08-Jan-16 14:14:37

wine chocolate

Just lingering smile

leoniethelioness Thu 14-Jan-16 20:09:26

Nannyafrica - Not sure if you're still checking this thread but please can you send them to me too if you are?

tickingclock22 Mon 29-Feb-16 11:43:32

Hello - just posted myself about suggestions of where to go and came across this thread. Myself and my partner are looking at going possible somewhere like this - in September. Any recommendations would be good - especially who to book through. Thanks

tickingclock22 Mon 29-Feb-16 11:45:42

Nanny - think it sounds like you are the expert here - so yes please to details also. Thank you

Jarstastic Mon 04-Apr-16 21:37:17

It's an amazing country. Very diverse for such a small place. People are really friendly though you have to be careful of people attracted to the tourist trade.
Travelled independently 15 years ago twice (using a mixture of public transport and hiring a driver, mixed experiences on that). Been back more recently with the kids and did it through a company called Tell Tale Travel we'd been to with Thailand previously and it was a real experience. Met people who don't work in the tourism industry ( I'm still using their family recipes!). It was also arranged for the boys to pay cricket with some local lads.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now