Talk

Advanced search

Can anyone ball park Christmas flight costs to NZ?

(34 Posts)
NewBallsPlease00 Mon 28-Dec-15 07:02:22

My brother announced he and his partner are moving to New Zealand for 5 years for a position of a lifetime. I'm thrilled for him and also gutted as I know they're not coming back ... Anyway, trying to find flight costs for next Christmas to budget for seeing him, but the flights aren't out for another month, and if I'm to stand any chance of getting the time off work I'll need to go in prepared with leave request form this week. Once granted I can't change it. So roughly how much might flights be per person?? U.K. To auklabd, decent carrier - not China eastern etc thabks

WildStallions Mon 28-Dec-15 07:07:10

Starting from Around 1,000 each I think.

Dafspunk Mon 28-Dec-15 07:16:33

I think you'll be looking at closer to double that for Christmas.

GrinAndTonic Mon 28-Dec-15 07:20:48

Your firstborn and a remortgage on your house.
And that's just economy.

WildStallions Mon 28-Dec-15 07:22:03

I was getting quotes like that in the beginning of dec for Xmas.

Not sure if it costs a lot more to book ahead. But there's no way you need to pay 2K.

pingoose Mon 28-Dec-15 07:22:44

We flew China Southern for £1000 each for Christmas 3 years ago. For a better carrier you're looking at about £500 more each.

GrinAndTonic Mon 28-Dec-15 07:24:38

London to Auckland one way is about $2000 Australian so not cheap.
Considering it is summer holidays and everything shuts down over Christmas so why not come at a different time of year so you can do touristy things as well?

pingoose Mon 28-Dec-15 07:42:49

Does Auckland really shut down over Christmas grin? We're spending Christmas in a provincial town and have had no problems finding restaurants and things to do, apart from Christmas and Boxing Day which was spent with family anyway.

GrinAndTonic Mon 28-Dec-15 08:44:54

Hyperbole pingoose Some places may not be open everyday. That's all I meant.

WildStallions Mon 28-Dec-15 08:47:34

But yes, if you don't have to fit into UK school holidays going in nov or feb is a better time to go. Because NZ schools are back so touristy things are a bit less crowded / better value.

SavoyCabbage Mon 28-Dec-15 09:00:10

I know that the date the flights go up in price for Christmas on Emirates is December 9th.

ChristmasinQueensland Mon 28-Dec-15 09:15:03

Yes when I last went to Oz the flight prices soared from about 12th December. Think long term about this. Unless you have tons of money you will have to budget carefully for multiple visits, so it's worth not going at Christmas if that would mean you could afford to visit twice in five years rather than only once.

NewBallsPlease00 Mon 28-Dec-15 09:58:00

Ahh sadly it's uk school Christmas or summer hols/ it's better weather at Christmas, but also not gteat to have 3 week block off in summer whereas at Christmas I can business case that the company is mostly closed anyway... I want to get an idea as plan b is meeting them somewhere half way, but then we have to pay for accommodation and it's still Christmas prices so will need to suss it out!! Thanks for all your replies

DesertOrDessert Mon 28-Dec-15 10:06:58

I've just done £500 per person from the Middle East to UK. Booked last minute tho.
Would guess over £1000.
Easter holidays possible?

Notstayingup Mon 28-Dec-15 10:11:31

We go every other year, cheapest we have ever managed was £1200 that was booking the day the flights came out and they are hard fares to find. We have paid as much as 1550 each (which is why we go every other year!!)

You have loads more choice going to Auckland with airlines, definitely look at Korean Air - you have a long layover in Seoul on the way back, but the airline puts you up in a hotel and feeds you, so it isn't too bad. Skyscanner is your friend for planning purposes. Personally prefer to go via Asia as I find going via the states takes longer and the time zones are tough on the way back.

NewBallsPlease00 Mon 28-Dec-15 10:46:55

Thanks- wonder if 2 singles is the way to go- return to Dubai and then onwards?

DesertOrDessert Mon 28-Dec-15 13:56:44

No, don't do that unless you want a few days in Dubai each way. If the flight to Dubai is delayed, and Dubai is your end point as far as the ticket is concerned, they only need to get you to Dubai. If your ticket is to Auz/NZ, they need to sort out all the planes to your destination. You'd also need to get you bags out at Dubai and then check them in again. Not worth the savings!!!

Millionsmom Mon 28-Dec-15 14:05:29

We live in the Middle East - a NZ stop over. It cost me double the regular price for flights for the family this Christmas.
The same flights are half the price in Feb.
It's very depressing.

DesertOrDessert Mon 28-Dec-15 14:33:48

Hijack alert.
Millions, can I ask how much your flights are? Were not a NZ stop over, and don't seem to see the variation. Everything has been £500-600. TYVM

Ememem84 Mon 28-Dec-15 14:38:12

We flew last year. From 5 Dec to 4 Jan. Heathrow to Auckland via Hong Kong with Cathay Pacific. Just me and dh.

Flights cost £2500.

We've done the flight via USA but the timings arriving into NZ are rubbish. Via HK and Singapore they get you in either 10am or midday. USA you arrive at 6am and have the worlds longest day.

NewBallsPlease00 Mon 28-Dec-15 14:44:17

Oh gawd it's going to be £7k for economy flights before we even get there shock I'm so sad I'm not going to get to see how m for so long
Think I might offer to pay for their off peak flights here instead

Millionsmom Wed 30-Dec-15 10:33:17

Family of 4 @ Christmas holidays - £3900
Family of 4 2nd week Feb - £1900
So actually less than half. Both families flying from Manchester.

DesertOrDessert Wed 30-Dec-15 12:26:23

OK, cheers.
So one adult and 2 kids over Christmas for £1600 was good going. The advantages of being in the arsepit, I guess grin

MissWimpyDimple Wed 30-Dec-15 12:52:27

I'm currently in Australia at the end of a three week holiday.
We flew out here on the 9th and leave tomorrow. I paid £1300 for two of us.

I know it's not NZ but it gives you an idea.

That's with Etihad and the times were great.

YouthHostellingWithChrisEubank Wed 30-Dec-15 12:56:33

When I used to fly that route Korean Air and Malaysia Air used to be cheapest. Looks like prices have gone up a little since then!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now