Talk

Advanced search

Help/advice please! Family wedding in carribean with a 20 month old..

(11 Posts)
northernlassy24 Sun 29-Nov-15 18:06:55

A sibling is getting married in the carribean in 2017, by which point my LO will be 20 months. I'm an FTM so no idea what taking a toddler on a long haul flight entails but I can't imagine it makes for much of a relaxing break. I don't want to stress the bambino or us for that matter, not to mention it will cost a lot of money which we can just about afford but it would be very tight indeed.

I have to commit soon one way or another, and I really dont know what to.

If I didn't go I'd be gutted at missing the wedding. If I do go I'll be stressing until the holiday is over, worrying it will be a nightmare.

Am I making this worse in my head than it will actually be? Help! Any advice will be very much appreciated, thank you.

AttilaTheMeerkat Sun 29-Nov-15 19:19:26

What month is the wedding taking place and on which island?. That could have a bearing on your final decision as well. Weather in that part of the world can be very changeable.

Is the flight to this island a direct one?. Would you be staying at the same accommodation as your sibling?.

CityDweller Sun 29-Nov-15 19:23:14

Are you worried about the flight or the holiday? We flew long haul with a 20monrh old - it was fine and there are loads of threads about how to manage on long flights with toddlers.
And the holiday itself will probably be lovely - think of your toddler playing in the sand and paddling in the shallows on a warm Caribbean island and generally being fussed over by family.
I'd do it if I were you and you could afford it.

northernlassy24 Sun 29-Nov-15 20:15:40

It's a direct flight and we would all be in the same hotel, over Easter in Dom Rep.

I'm worried about the whole thing tbh. Having a screaming toddler upsetting other passengers on two 9 hour flights, him being hot and uncomfortable the whole time we are there and it just generally being a bit of a nightmare. If it was low cost I'd say fine we have nothing to lose but its very expensive and I assume myself or OH would have to be in the room with LO from 8ish every night because its bedtime.

Citydweller id never thought of the nice bits you just said! Too busy worrying (my favourite sport).

specialsubject Sun 29-Nov-15 22:16:58

is this baby even born yet?

you don't need to commit 18 months ahead. As you don't think you can afford it, that's the end of that really isn't it?

kaymondo Sun 29-Nov-15 22:28:23

For a holiday then no you don't have to go to bed at 8pm with the baby! Put them to bed in their pushchair and take them out with you and hopefully they'll sleep. If not, it won't do them any harm to have a later bedtime/different routine for a couple of weeks.

I really think you're overthinking it. Yes, the flights might be a bit harrassing but plan ahead, take lots of snacks and activities - or book night flights and take them in pj's and hope they sleep! Once you're there you'll have a blast.

Scotinoz Mon 30-Nov-15 01:41:59

Stop stressing.

Toddlers travel just fine. Toddlers are just fine in the sun/heat. Toddlers are just fine on holiday. Toddlers are also just fine at weddings.

Mine has survived plenty of long haul flights. Yes, sometimes there's crying but airlines tend to lump families altogether so nearby passengers understand. Food and telly keep them occupied though.

northernlassy24 Mon 30-Nov-15 10:13:29

Yes he is born he is 3 months old. They are making the group booking this week which i why i was panicking. I might just say we aren't in a position to commit yet (which we aren't as a deposit is required right away). I'm sure its not impossible to join at a later date. Thanks ladies.

mouldycheesefan Mon 30-Nov-15 10:17:58

I wouldn't go, love the Caribbean but wouldn't want to go to the 'Dom rep'.

You don't want to go so don't feel guilty just say you will celebrate when they get back.

specialsubject Mon 30-Nov-15 11:30:53

you have the answer - far too far ahead to commit. And the fact that you can't afford it seems to be a fairly easy answer so tell them.

you can see it over skype. Destination weddings do mean lots of people can't go.

minipie Mon 30-Nov-15 11:51:29

No need to go if you don't want to, but I went long haul with DD at that age and it was fine, a lovely holiday.

Look into (1) whether the place you would be staying is child friendly, (2) are there direct flight ideally at night.

By that age they will watch In The Night Garden for a bit which makes travel much easier...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now