Talk

Advanced search

Second American location to add onto New York holiday?

(36 Posts)
Pinkpeanut27 Wed 11-Nov-15 19:17:01

I really fancy a week in NYC next August .
There will be 5 of us . Kids are 13,13 and 6.
I know it's going to be hot and hectic .
I'd like another week somewhere but am struggling to find somewhere . My knowledge of the U.S. Is limited to main cities and tourist places .
We did think Florida but it is going to be super humid and hot .

Has anyone got any brilliant suggestions ? I prefer not to go to another city .

CatBlaster Wed 11-Nov-15 19:18:59

Cape Cod for a sea side break?

It looks gorgeous and not too far from NYC. It's on my list.

LIZS Wed 11-Nov-15 19:19:34

Boston/Cape Cod/Martha's Vineyard

Pinkpeanut27 Wed 11-Nov-15 21:00:58

The problem with Cape cod is it looks like there is nothing to do!

SenecaFalls Wed 11-Nov-15 21:06:19

Washington, DC (will be hot but so will NYC)
Boston (might be hot)
Philadelphia (will be hot)

maitaimojito Wed 11-Nov-15 21:08:43

We did Niagara Falls when we went - from memory it was around an hour long internal flight. Definitely would recommend seeing it but we did it as a day trip.

LIZS Wed 11-Nov-15 21:10:14

Whale watching, fab sandy beaches, cycling . You can also get to Plimouth Plantation and reconstruction of the Mayflower to do the pilgrim bit.

VimFuego101 Wed 11-Nov-15 21:12:01

Hilton Head in North Carolina?

I definitely agree that Florida would be a bad choice at that time of year. What do you like doing - are you happy just sitting on a beach/walking or does there need to be actual activities to do?

VimFuego101 Wed 11-Nov-15 21:12:34

Sorry, meant South Carolina!

SenecaFalls Wed 11-Nov-15 21:15:34

Hilton Head is nice. We were there in August and it was hot but not that bad, actually.

Pinkpeanut27 Wed 11-Nov-15 21:16:39

I have boys they don't dit and hate the heat! My daughter loves sitting beaches and heat,!

Boys will need something to do but it doesn't have to be laid on they quite like exploring cycling running jumping digging that sort of thing!

Really like the idea of a day trip to niagra

chipsandpeas Wed 11-Nov-15 21:17:32

if it was me id look into atlantic city

SenecaFalls Wed 11-Nov-15 21:24:47

If you go to Niagara, be sure to see the Falls from the Canadian side. Much more impressive. It would be worth it to spend a night or two there so that you can do it all thoroughly. It's also a lovely part of New York State and of Ontario.

AtAmber Wed 11-Nov-15 21:27:38

We went to New York and Boston in July. We went on a cruise to Bermuda from Boston with NCL. It was fantastic. We had ds's who are 16 and 8. They loved it. I think NCL do the same cruise from New York. We had 3 days in Bermuda, it was beautiful.

Sunflower1985 Wed 11-Nov-15 21:28:04

Washington, D.C.
Free museums, all the famous monuments, easy to get around, simple train ride from NYC. And pandas!

Pinkpeanut27 Thu 12-Nov-15 14:40:05

Thanks am now looking into Cape Cod area with Washington as a second as well as trying to fit in a trip to niagra!

ihatethecold Sun 06-Dec-15 19:39:12

If your boys hate the heat then New York will be hideous in August.

Fizrim Sun 06-Dec-15 19:43:43

Another yes to the Canadian side of Niagara - also there is somewhere near Niagara that I'd love to go to because people tell me they think it's very European and I suspect it isn't Niagara on the Lake.

BumpAndGrind Sun 06-Dec-15 20:26:49

If I had the chance to do such an amazing holiday, I think I would have a cruise for the second bit of the trip.

nmg85 Mon 07-Dec-15 09:33:10

What about flying with Iceland Air and doing a stop in Iceland one way?

RusholmeRuffian Tue 08-Dec-15 12:06:03

The Outer Banks in NC

BarleysFiddle Tue 08-Dec-15 12:17:21

Vermont. Absolutely gorgeous, very much oriented to outdoor sports, just a fabulous place.

TreadSoftlyOnMyDreams Tue 08-Dec-15 12:34:39

New York, Boston and especially Washington are very very humid in August.

Newport, Rhode Island might be worth a look if you want to stay on the East Coast. There are beaches, a pretty little town [similar genre to Cape Cod], a big sailing / outdoorsy vibe, and it's home to the "Newport Mansions" which were the summer homes of the very wealthy around the turn of the 18/19th Century
www.newportmansions.org/
www.huffingtonpost.com/malerie-yolencohen/ten-insider-things-to-do-_b_5511061.html
www.newport-discovery-guide.com/kids-activities.html

It gets hot and humid but in my experience has a regular downpour for about 30 mins every afternoon and cools off which is pleasant.

The other thing to consider might actually be upstate New York. We all think of NY as Manhattan really but it's mostly forest and lakes

Bambambini Thu 07-Jan-16 00:33:52

We went to NY in August with the kids. I was expecting it to be really hot and humid but it was really peasant - no bad at all or what I was expecting. I understand we might have been really lucky.

BreakfastLunchPasta Thu 07-Jan-16 00:39:04

I'd go to Nantucket and/or Vermont. I've never been to either, only New
York, but they are two places I'd absolutely love to see.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now