Talk

Advanced search

Florida in august

(21 Posts)
Pinkpeanut27 Wed 11-Nov-15 09:16:03

What will the weather be like in Flirida in August , have heard hot hot hot and humid lots of storms etc also that it will be hot but breezy.
We are thinking of Tampa or Clearwater .

LucyLocketLostHerPocket Wed 11-Nov-15 09:21:35

We did Disney Florida in July for two weeks and although it was hot it was by far the humidity that bothered us more. If it was a lazing about holiday then I'd do it again but if I actually had to do stuff I wouldn't. It took us a few days to get used to the humidity but tempers tended to flare and it was just generally hard work although we had teenagers too and it could just have been thatwink.
It did rain every day but in two weeks we only had one day where it stopped us doing anything, otherwise it's a quick storm and carry on.

Pinkpeanut27 Wed 11-Nov-15 09:32:20

I have 2 x 13 and 1x6 , 2 of whom are not big on the heat !! Hated southern Spain when it was 30 degrees . Worst one is oldest boy who claims to only like cold mountains! Took him to rainy Cornwall last year his default position was in bed with iPad or book and he flopped if we dared to go out !
So I figured he could do that anywhere .
I will go mad though if we just sit around .
DH is keen and he's booking this year !

PatriciaHolm Wed 11-Nov-15 09:47:44

Insanely hot. And humid. Plenty of aircon but not somewhere if you don't like heat! Very high humidity and little drop of temperature at night either.

NickAngel Wed 11-Nov-15 09:50:13

We went at end of October and it was around 28/29/30 degrees and very humid. I managed it but no way would I go in the summer. could you go at Easter?

mumblesdad Wed 11-Nov-15 09:55:37

We had a week in Clearwater and it was 28 degrees but not that humid. This was in August 15. The beach is great and the area fantastic. We also stayed at Siesta Keys and that was a great beach holiday as well. Also did Disney and that was hot and humid but the coast resorts with the wind off the sea were great.

juneau Wed 11-Nov-15 09:55:40

We just got back from Florida (went at half term) and the weather was lovely - but that was Oct. It was 30 degrees every day and not too humid - for me it was perfect. I wouldn't go in July/Aug. None of us lovely humidity and having lived on the east coast of the US for six years we're not under any illusions about how unpleasant it is during the day at that time of year. I'm guessing you'd be at the beach, so you might get a breeze. But there isn't much to do around Tampa/Clearwater and its very built up.

SheGotAllDaMoves Wed 11-Nov-15 09:57:34

August = Hot, wet, humid.
Mosquitos.

October half term = perfect weather.

Pinkpeanut27 Wed 11-Nov-15 10:01:25

No can't go any other time has to be last 3 weeks in August we are preceding it with a week in New York so trying to find somewhere to chill . However traditionally my boys get bored on the beach !

juneau Wed 11-Nov-15 10:04:40

New York in August will be stinking hot too! But seriously, if your DC get bored at the beach I wouldn't to to Clearwater. The beach is lovely (white sand, etc), but there isn't much to do. We spent a weekend there and ended up driving down to Sarasota to go to the Art Museum because we were so bored. Tampa too has a nice old street (yes, just the one), but apart from that its very modern and there is nothing to do.

With teens you'd be better going to Orlando area (although that will be very humid), or California - where the weather will be lovely. The west coast gets hot too, but its not humid like the east coast.

IvyWall Wed 11-Nov-15 10:08:15

Busch gardens is near Tampa if you fancy a theme park seaworldparks.com/en/buschgardens-tampa/

Pinkpeanut27 Wed 11-Nov-15 10:18:36

We were going to do California but thought the whole fly drive thing too much .

Now I'm thinking Canada ! Hot humid and nothing to do sounds like hell .

Pinkpeanut27 Wed 11-Nov-15 10:19:21

I know Nyc will be hot but figure there is loads to do inside sir con buildings . And I really want to go back there !!

SheGotAllDaMoves Wed 11-Nov-15 10:22:37

California in August is nice.

LA, Big Sur, Yosemite, San Fransisco etc. Just brill. One of my DC's all time favourite holidays.

We've also been to Canada in Summer (East and West). Both fabulous trips.

juneau Wed 11-Nov-15 11:59:56

If I was you I'd go to either California or Canada (both great summer holiday destinations), and do New York at another time of year (Oct half-term being perfect - lovely fall colours, and not too busy or too hot/cold).

Pinkpeanut27 Wed 11-Nov-15 12:29:26

I don't want to do the whole fly drive thing in California as my kids are rubbish at traveling and I thought 6 stops in 2 weeks would be hard going . Also nervous about the flight .

juneau Wed 11-Nov-15 17:06:55

Why would a flight to New York and another one to Florida be any better than one flight to California? NY is 7.5 hours from the UK and Florida is another 2 hours from NY. California is a 10 hour flight. Not a lot of difference really. But if you don't want to do fly-drive I'd strike Canada off the list too - its no less vast than America and the flight times as the same.

Pinkpeanut27 Wed 11-Nov-15 19:11:57

My perfect holiday would be NYC and San Diego.
I think the flight issue is the kids have only ever done 3 hours so 10 hours is a big big jump . 7. 5 seems halfway between the 2 ! Then we can build up. Taking an extra flight after a week doesn't seem so bad .
I'm swayed by the fact I love love love NYC and ds1 and I have been planning our trip for 5 years .

mummymeister Thu 12-Nov-15 16:06:16

Go to Canada - Vancouver, Vancouver island, the rockies. wont be too hot and lots to do for those that want to.

Pinkpeanut27 Thu 12-Nov-15 19:31:02

Very tempted by Canada I must say , it's between there and Cape cod now

mummymeister Sun 15-Nov-15 11:59:03

Have been to both pinkpeanut27 and would say that there is way more to do in Canada on the west coast than there is in cape cod. they will easily do the longer flight. first one my kids ever did was 10 hours when they were around the same age and I was really worried. but they loved the films, played cards, loved the food etc and it worked brilliantly. no boredom at all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now