Talk

Advanced search

July beach holiday in USA

(33 Posts)
petitdonkey Mon 02-Nov-15 18:22:26

Can anyone make a great suggestion of a beach holiday in the US in July? DH has booked cheap (relatively speaking!!) flights to New York so we were thinking of just spending a couple of nights there then flying out to….. We first considered the Naples area of Florida but I am concerned that humidity and heat will be oppressive.

I really fancy a beach holiday - blue water, golden sand type place. Ideally we will rent a villa/condo for a week then finish up with a few days in a really nice hotel for a bit of luxury.

Three DC aged 7, 9 & 12 - happy to chill out but also love water sports or days out being busy.

Any suggestions????

petitdonkey Mon 02-Nov-15 18:23:18

(I realise that I actually want to go to somewhere like Captiva or the Caribbean but at Easter from a temperature perspective but that's not possible)

PestoSkiissimos Mon 02-Nov-15 18:29:17

I was just going to suggest the Caribbean grin

ImperialBlether Mon 02-Nov-15 18:34:29

There's just been a house hunting programme on TV where they looked at houses in Naples, Florida and they said it was incredibly humid in the summer.

ellaballoo Mon 02-Nov-15 18:34:37

Anna Maria Island for the chilled out part. Then maybe a flash hotel in Tampa for a few days ( and fab shopping).

ImperialBlether Mon 02-Nov-15 18:35:53

What about Martha's Vineyard or around there, in Connecticut?

petitdonkey Mon 02-Nov-15 19:23:23

pesto - I'd love that but think it would be too hot!

ella - that island looks fab but wouldnt it be the same as Naples in terms of humidity? Or is it a tiny bit cooler being a bit further up??

Imperial - I was just looking at Cape Cod - have you been there? Are the beaches nice??

Radiatorvalves Mon 02-Nov-15 19:25:19

We went to Clearwater near Tampa in August and it was fab. I do like the heat though!

ImperialBlether Mon 02-Nov-15 19:31:39

No, I haven't been but I'd really love to go there.

petitdonkey Mon 02-Nov-15 19:49:08

Valves - If you have time can you tell me more??! We have been to Orlando in April/May and can cope with that heat so I was hoping that, being by the beach, we'd be okay in Florida in July… We were looking at Marco Island (very reasonable) but friends have just got back from Captiva (sounds wonderful) but they were told by a few people that it is super hot in July…

Just looking at North and South Carolina too…. The US is our oyster!

Underdogsbollocks Mon 02-Nov-15 19:49:46

We went to Naples July 2013 for 7 nights and it wasn't too humid, there was always a nice breeze which I think definetly helped smile. It was a lovely relaxing week after the hustle and bustle of Orlando.

petitdonkey Mon 02-Nov-15 20:34:55

Thanks bollocks!! (made me grin typing that!)

ragged Mon 02-Nov-15 20:38:44

North Carolina.

Underdogsbollocks Mon 02-Nov-15 20:41:13

If you go ahead and decide on Naples feel free to ask any questions you have, we are hopefully going back next year grin.

GossamerApronStrings Mon 02-Nov-15 20:47:37

If you're looking to avoid the humidity, Southern California has some gorgeous beaches with hot but not blistering weather! Anywhere between San Diego & Santa Barbara would be relatively easy to get to & lovely! East coast, I'd check out Cape Cod, Martha's Vineyard areas...but cooler than Florida and not a "tropical" feel, but beautiful anyway. Florida can be a bit overwhelming with humidity in summer.... But white sand and pale blue water... Don't think you can really go wrong anywhere you land!

petitdonkey Mon 02-Nov-15 22:31:23

bollocks I was thinking of a week in Marco as it is very reasonable and we quite like some time in a villa but would then move into Naples for 4/5 nights - if you can recommend a super swanky hotel with pool and or beach, I would be very grateful.

Gossammer - It is the flight time to Southern Cal that puts me off - 6hrs compared to 3… (that and the fact that it would be very hard to avoid visiting relatives there!!)

I don't think I have ever honestly experienced killer humidity so not sure what I am up against - have been to Florida and Grenada but both in April so lovely weather, not too oppressive.

GinandJag Mon 02-Nov-15 22:34:22

Outer Banks of North Carolina.

Finallyonboard Mon 02-Nov-15 22:37:28

Miami?

ScottishDiblet Mon 02-Nov-15 22:38:53

Ooh exciting! Naples hotel that we used to stay at is The Registry (but it's called something else now). The Ritz Carlton there is fab too and will probably do a deal if it's sort of low season.
We always used to go to Hilton Head in (South?) Carolina which is fab! One massive shower in the middle of the day and then lovely and hot for the rest of the day. I think Florida is the same in the summer.

petitdonkey Mon 02-Nov-15 22:43:54

Finally - I have never been to Miami but I think that it is more fast paced??
Gina and Scottish - North or South Carolina is our other main contender - is it as 'tropical' feeling?? I'm conscious that it is the Atlantic so may feel like being in Cornwall (IYSWIM - nothing wrong with Cornwall!!)

AcrossthePond55 Mon 02-Nov-15 22:56:16

My first choice would be So Cal since I grew up there & spent my summers at Newport Beach.

But if you don't want the flight, think about Tybee Island GA.

tybeeisland.com

petitdonkey Tue 03-Nov-15 09:19:13

Tybee Island looks lovely! Thank you - looking at accommodation now...

RusholmeRuffian Tue 03-Nov-15 10:28:04

North Carolina's Outer Banks.

AcrossthePond55 Thu 05-Nov-15 14:48:50

Not only is there the beach and all its fun with Tybee, but there is also beautiful, historic Savannah GA and Ft Pulaski Natl Monument.

Canyouforgiveher Thu 05-Nov-15 15:00:13

Florida is July really is oppressively hot and humid - it is like walking into a wall of heat every time you go outdoors. I wouldn't be able for it myself for a holiday (I have been there for work in the summer).

I second the outer banks of North Carolina.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now