Talk

Advanced search

Toddler car seat / harness on long flight?

(11 Posts)
Fuckitfay Fri 30-Oct-15 10:14:17

Will be taking our 2.9 yr old on a 10 hour flight with a transit after 8 hrs.
She is just 2 now and very energetic even by toddler standards, a little fire cracker who literally never sits still and tantrums if you try and make her. Hoping the tantrums may have improved by July but not counting on it! I have read about taking car seats on planes but she's in an enormous heavy car seat at home. We have two other DC and transiting and arriving at what will be around 10pm - midnight our time. I'm hoping to keep the 9 yr old awake and walking by poking her but am imagining we may need to carry the toddler and the 6 yr at hours past their bedtime. Not sure how on earth we'd carry a massive car set too! But I would LOVE for her to have a seat and be STRAPPED IN. At the moment it's the only way I can see managing to get her to sit still and sleep. Any ideas for light weight car seats that are plane friendly?

00100001 Fri 30-Oct-15 19:39:31

you'll just need a booster seat, rather than an actual car seat. also take an umbrella stroller.

moojie Fri 30-Oct-15 19:45:43

I flew to Oz with my DS2 when he was the same age. We had a 25 he flight and swapped places in the middle. He was fine. We have a sling so he fell asleep on my back in that and then laid in me for the night bit. The flight. We did walk up and down with him but it was nowhere beer as bad as I had imagined! We also used the pillow pets things for both my children and wrapped them round the seat armrests and that created a little neat to sleep in.

moojie Fri 30-Oct-15 19:46:34

So many typo's but I'm sure you get the drift!

Fuckitfay Sat 31-Oct-15 17:18:10

Thanks both. The main reason I want a harness is to stop her wriggling. A sling is a possibility but she's a huge chunky monkey at just 2 now and the flight isn't til July. Also she's never fallen asleep in a sling since she was a newborn so I'm hoping for a car seat type contraption as it will be a familiar place to sleep. I've found something called CARE harnesses but they are about 95 quid ! Would be perfect though combined with a pillow nest

billabye Sat 31-Oct-15 17:24:17

We had one of those CARES harnesses but didn't end up using it due to the faff. You need to bear in mind that they go around the back of the seat so can potentially be a huge pain for the person say behind when they want to use their tray.

Fuckitfay Sat 31-Oct-15 20:00:26

You're not looking to sell it are you billabye? I wish I'd known that about the seats as we have chosen the seats and could have sat one of the kids behind the toddler.
I'm guessing it is not possible to get the harness under the tray ?

AttilaTheMeerkat Sun 01-Nov-15 12:30:35

Which airline are you using?.

Forget taking a car seat on board; those aircraft aisles are very narrow. You've got more than enough to deal with already without having to carry that through the terminal and onto the aircraft as well.

I would just take the pillow nest rather than use a CARES harness (they do wrap around the seat and can impede use of both tray and seat back tv of the person behind you. Also some children can and do slip out of them).

Fuckitfay Sun 01-Nov-15 12:34:10

Ah - if it's possible to wiggle out of a harness DD3 will do so, would be very annoying if we spend the money on one for DD3 to escape!
We're flying Westjet - it's a Canadian budget airline so no frills.

00100001 Sun 01-Nov-15 14:34:28

you're better off letting her wriggle about tbh as long as she isn't knocking the chairs etc. get her to wander up and down the aisles etc

take lots of things for her to do on the pull down tray to keep her occupied when sitting down, and then take her for walks up and down the aisles - some people will be happy to chat to her and there's lots to look at for little ones.

Lots of quiet activities are the order of the day.

Colouring in, reading, puzzles, cars, there's always loads of cartoons or a film on at some point she might watch smile

billabye Tue 03-Nov-15 21:53:43

Sorry I already ebayed it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now