Talk

Advanced search

Cathy Pacific, Virgin or BA from London to Hong Kong

(19 Posts)
twofalls Wed 28-Oct-15 10:43:50

Prices and flight times all much the same. Will be travelling on my own with a 6 and 10 year old.

Any recommendations? I usually fly BA out of habit but was wondering if one of the others would be better. The Virgin flight is their new dreamliner, we will be flying economy.

TweenageAngst Wed 28-Oct-15 10:46:48

Whichever offers the best entertainment system!
Important with kids. I would go Virgin- new dreamliner

ShanghaiDiva Wed 28-Oct-15 10:50:17

Cathay every time. I think their entertainment system is vg, staff are always very obliging and food is okay too.

Seriouslyffs Wed 28-Oct-15 10:51:49

Look into the points you'd get, it could make a big difference and enough to make another flight.

sky1010 Wed 28-Oct-15 10:55:08

Cathay. It was my cheapest option to fly to HK in the school holidays.

I flew economy and the staff were wonderful, food was great and the entertainment was good too.

twofalls Wed 28-Oct-15 10:58:45

Thanks everyone, my children are picky eaters - do you get a lot of choice on CP for food?

Hadn't thought about the points.

Just noiced on BA you can pre order your children's meals.

sky1010 Wed 28-Oct-15 11:14:57

I didn't have any children in my party, but they did have children's packs with snacks in and they appeared to get served first.

You can choose a western or Asian meal. The western being something like meat, veg, potatoes or a pasta dish- Asian was meat/fish with noodles or rice. If I remember right- there are also western/Asian veggie options. Even if you don't order the kids meal, there should be something that they should enjoy.

I was poorly on one of my connection flights and the staff brought me some bread rolls, fruit and some chocolate when I couldn't stomach anything proper.

twofalls Wed 28-Oct-15 11:15:26

Just fiddled with the dates (decided they can miss the last day of school) and BA has come out £300 cheaper so it looks like that might have swung it.

twofalls Wed 28-Oct-15 11:17:03

Thanks sky, think I might have crossed posts with you. I can't book it yet so will see if flights change in the meantime. My friend who lives in HK always flies CP but then her children will eat anything.....

ShanghaiDiva Wed 28-Oct-15 11:21:44

You can book children's meals in advance with Cathay too. Food was western - pasta and sauce, fruit, juice and kit kat among other things.

FuzzyWizard Wed 28-Oct-15 12:37:05

Glad to see Cathay is popular as I've booked to fly with them in December. I have previously flown to the Far East (Tokyo) with Virgin and had a good experience. If it would save me £300 I'd go BA though... Can't imagine there's really that much difference.

specialsubject Wed 28-Oct-15 12:58:29

having done quite a few long-hauls, there really isn't now much difference. The food is (I think) better on the Asian airlines, but then I like Asian food!

it's long, cramped and uncomfortable so make it as cheap as possible!

twofalls Wed 28-Oct-15 13:50:28

I agree, I don't think there is £300 worth of difference in any of them.

Onykahonie Thu 29-Oct-15 18:19:51

We travelled with CP this year...no problems, good service and entertainment system (inc phone charger) and food was OK.

MrsFruitcake Mon 23-Nov-15 07:02:00

Cathay has friendlier staff and better food, in my opinion.

CrumbledFeta Mon 23-Nov-15 07:16:01

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

GloriaHotcakes Mon 23-Nov-15 07:18:41

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BigGreenOlives Mon 23-Nov-15 07:20:00

I like Cathay best. Virgin's entertainment system is poor, not many films, single episodes of tv shows. Ran out of things I wanted to watch on an 8 hr flight.

alibubbles Mon 23-Nov-15 08:56:18

I have just flown Premium Economy with BA to Hong Kong and back, pretty awful, so flying Cathay next time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now