Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Tips for long haul business class flight with children

(18 Posts)
NickAngel Tue 06-Oct-15 16:13:27

Has anyone got any?
It's a day flight going out and having never done a long flight with DC or business class ever I wondered if there was anything we should take or do to make sure they sleep etc.

AttilaTheMeerkat Tue 06-Oct-15 17:09:06

How old are they?.

Pay attention to their needs throughout the flight. Will they quietly watch films and or tv programmes whilst on board?.

Where are you flying to; if its a daytime flight as you say then they will likely not sleep much if at all. Its not a problem if they do not sleep.

Would take along some of their favourite foodstuffs to eat (and enough for the duration of the flight). Meals even in business class can be variable in quality.

NormHonal Tue 06-Oct-15 17:15:52

Having tried to keep quiet a fractious baby in Business Class more than once, can I share what the attendant said to me?

"Don't worry, love, you've paid for your ticket. The business boys haven't, their companies have. You and your baby are more entitled to be here than they are."

And I say this as a former business traveller.

Oh, and research is key. What's on the in-flight entertainment? Buy some child-friendly headphones with the right adapter for the IFE system. What is the seat configuration? The configuration in Virgin Upper Class isn't very easy with small children. In BA it's easier but you could be climbing over the feet of other passengers to get to your children.

Take snacks, lots of them. They may not want to eat what the airline serves, at the time they serve it. The "larder" will be poorly stocked and empty by the end of the flight.

yakari Tue 06-Oct-15 17:17:47

Ah memories of the London Miami flight where the man in the next seat walked on the plane and demanded to move, DS ate only packets of raisins and refused to lie on the beds, only on me. Luckily the steward came forward with a glass of champagne and loudly announced how happy he was to have a child on his flight.
Look you'll get a more privileged version of the usual travellers and the usually twatty comments. All the usual travel advice stands. Board, smile at everyone and just go with the flow. Depending on their age plan on having to entertain them the whole time, if they sleep it's a bonus. iPads with games on mute or headsets are great, small books, crayons, toys in a bigger bag brought out one by one help pass time. And the aforementioned packets of raisins. Business class food is great, your kids will still probably not eat it. And wine for you...

InternationalEspionage Tue 06-Oct-15 17:23:49

What age dc and what airline?

I did a double long haul in August with DS(7). Fantastic.

fruitlovingmonkey Tue 06-Oct-15 17:28:40

norm that might be true but there will no doubt be some passengers who have treated themselves to a luxury trip and taking a baby into business class ruins it for them. I think it's really selfish.
If your children are older then just make sure they have lots to entertain them if they are awake and perhaps practise with eye masks before your trip so that they can sleep if they want to and the cabin isn't dark.

InternationalEspionage Tue 06-Oct-15 17:32:39

Top tip: I bigged it up well in advance as the most grown up luxurious mega adventure he has ever had...One that mummy and daddy could never afford if we were paying ourselves smile

The stewards were fabulous and kicked him off with a couple of alcohol free Mai tais. Apparently he did get feisty in the middle of the night whilst we were asleep....but nothing that 5 toblerones from their secret stash couldn't fix.

Also, avoid film and chose 30 min TV slots instead. If doing a two leg trip, try for extra hour or 2 changeover so opportunity for proper shower in BC lounge.

He loved it, we loved it. You will have a brilliant time...he still talks about his fab business class flight grin

MuddyWellyNelly Tue 06-Oct-15 17:51:15

Fruitlovingmonkey I've been the paying customer before and babies have never bothered me. At the end of the day it's still public transport. The only way to be sure you get peace is hire a private jet. winkOtherwise you take your chances. Irritating snoring businessmen can be equally irksome.

We are in the process of planning our first trip with baby and will probably go business class. The other passengers will still get exactly what they paid for. Lie flat bed, better food and drink, lounge access and priority boarding.

OP a crying baby is often white noise to other passengers. What can be annoying though are noisy toys, endless sssh-ing, baby talk and seat bashing. The last one less of an issue in business class mind. If its BA I think the middle seats are recommended but I'd probably do aisle and middle.

NickAngel Tue 06-Oct-15 18:11:01

It's a BA flight to Orlando. DC are 4 and 6 and can do 4 and a bit hours to canaries in economy with iPads etc. I've checked I flight films and we will load more stuff onto iPads before we leave.
Did you try to get them ready for bed or change their clothes to try to encourage sleep? Would it be awful to take Calpol along or chloramphenicol? Do you get blankets and pillows?
The plane seats are for a 777, so there's 4 in the middle that are top and tail if that makes sense. Can you put up the screens to make a little den for them?
I'm fairly sure there will be other kids there as it's a school holiday and a less-likely business route.

fruitlovingmonkey Tue 06-Oct-15 18:32:29

I did have a particularly bad experience because the parents in question had no idea what to do with a crying/ shouting baby and even changed its nappy in the cabin right before dinner vom. I learnt that you get people with no class on every part of the plane. Got myself a lounge pass and in future I will stick to economy and save the luxury for a hotel at the other end...or at least book seats far away from the bassinet.
I know someone whose child has a log book for flights. Given the extra excitement of business class perhaps this would be a nice idea to help with the build up.

DesertorDessert Tue 06-Oct-15 18:45:43

I've just done 9 hrs as a second flight with a 6 and 4 yr old, on my own, in business. They slept for the last hour. We'd been up since 6, and they dropped of at 9 uk time.
Take snacks. Mine happily watched 2 films, played with an adventure colouring book (put the pens in a pencil case), and a sticker book.
We got blankets and pillows, and socks. Take the shoes off asap.

Chill, and avept the champers offered before take off!

DesertorDessert Tue 06-Oct-15 18:46:06

Accept, that is

PowderMum Tue 06-Oct-15 19:09:07

If it's to Orlando you don't have to worry, the whole flight is full of families and kids, you are just in the better seats!

Not sure about the plane configuration but we never dressed in PJs just comfortable clothes so leggings and tshirts.

Mine dozed if they needed but we otherwise happy to play with toys or watch films/TV.

You'll be fine

JoeMommuh Tue 06-Oct-15 19:59:36

You'll be fine. BA business is the best with kids as the configuration of the seats is more family friendly.

The seats obviously lie flat so on the night flight it should be a breeze. You can go to the galley and get unlimited snacks from the staff, crisps, cookies fruit etc. Take a few puzzle/sticker books and loaded up iPads and you'll be laughing.

We are doing 12 hours BA business in a few months with a 2&3 year old. I guarantee that you'll find it easier than that and we aren't that worried (frequent flyers) because the business class seats make ALL the difference. Enjoy the holiday.

NickAngel Tue 06-Oct-15 21:06:25

Thank you all, very helpful.

AttilaTheMeerkat Wed 07-Oct-15 09:09:43

"It's a BA flight to Orlando. DC are 4 and 6 and can do 4 and a bit hours to canaries in economy with iPads etc. I've checked I flight films and we will load more stuff onto iPads before we leave.
Did you try to get them ready for bed or change their clothes to try to encourage sleep? Would it be awful to take Calpol along or chloramphenicol? Do you get blankets and pillows"

Youll be fine; Orlando is not known as a business class route anyway and the flights are usually full of families. Would suggest you take along enough of their favourite foodstuffs to last the duration of the flight (the help yourself galley kitchen can empty pretty quick). Do leave any uneaten fruit behind on the aircraft.

A pillow and blanket (both of decent size) will be on each seat.

Its a daytime flight to Orlando so they will likely not sleep much if at all anyway. The flight back to the UK is an overnight one so they should sleep then (also the cabin lights will be dimmed).

ImNotChangingMyUsernameAgain Wed 07-Oct-15 18:52:29

It will be fine, and if you are really lucky the cabin crew will bring you extra blankets so you can make a den over the 2 middle rear facing seats. They have lots of space on the floor in front of the them for the kids to play.

By the time they have finished exploring the plane, had a meal, watched a couple of films and taken a short nap (necessary to minimise jetlag so they stay awake until bedtime) it will be time to land. And on the return journey, they will probably sleep most of the way.

ripple11 Sun 18-Oct-15 19:02:45

Did a day flight to Antigua with two 6 year olds this year on Virgin UC.
Didn't think they would sleep going out, but they did once the seats went flat and the duvet/pillows came out :-)
As said, ipads with their own headphones is a winner, along with games/books.
Enjoy!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now