Talk

Advanced search

Thailand in July/August? What's the weather like?

(20 Posts)
cardy Wed 30-Sep-15 15:43:56

I'm thinking about trip to Thailand next year with dh and 2 dds and it looks like the summer holidays is the only option. I have found flights, accommodation and have a draft itinerary but am concerned July/August won't be good in terms of weather. Anybody been at this tome of year?

mummymeister Wed 30-Sep-15 17:16:41

accuweather website which we rely on a lot and use when holiday planning says this year it was from early to mid 30's which in old money is late 80s to early 90's. not my idea of fun but then we don't really like it this hot.

cardy Wed 30-Sep-15 22:46:50

Thanks, yes I thought it would be hot (and probably humid) but I was wondering about rain/storms. Seems to remember August is rainy season but not sure.

NaughtToThreeSadOnions Wed 30-Sep-15 22:51:34

Yes I'm not sure going to the phuket side in JulyAugust is a good idea it is rainy season. It's hot but it's very very wet! However my best friend went to Koh samui (the other side ) this July and it's not rainy season there

cardy Fri 02-Oct-15 17:08:26

That's good to hear, was thinking of Koh Samui. Didn't realise there was different weather.

ladybirdpoppy Sun 13-Dec-15 21:50:27

Second that for koh samui, its the only resort to visit during our summer be prepared for hot humid temperatures though. Also if you are prone to mosquitos they can ravage you so ensure you take plenty of repellent.

Luckystar1 Sun 13-Dec-15 21:54:24

Please do travel round though. Without being disparaging, the islands are mostly just like going to Costa Del Sol type package holiday places.

It is extremely touristy, just so you are prepared. The weather is fine, the rain can be torrential, but is usually over quite quickly.

Have a great time!

ihatethecold Thu 17-Dec-15 15:45:34

Hi Op,
We have booked to go to Koh samui with our teens next July.

We did lots of research into the weather and things to do etc.
we will have 10 days on the island then 4 days in Bangkok on the way home.
I cant wait

chickindude Thu 17-Dec-15 15:54:45

I hatethecold
Do you mind saying who you booked with? I am thinking of doing just the same in August, but the other way around.

ihatethecold Thu 17-Dec-15 19:46:52

Trail finders. They were so helpful and I couldn't beat they're price.
We are doing Bangkok on the way back so we aren't jet lagged whilst there.

Salmiak Thu 17-Dec-15 19:54:38

I spent all of August on ko samui last summer. It's got its own island micro climate apparently and doesn't suffer from the rainy season as much. About 3 days out of the 30 it rained spectacularly, the rest of the time was fine. We are hopefully going again this year.

chickindude Fri 18-Dec-15 21:46:59

I think trailfinders is a good choice. I've found some good deals with them......excited.

ihatethecold Sat 19-Dec-15 08:11:42

I found with trailfinders they would make sure we were on the best flight of the day, The newest plane that had the most modern tech on it. Which was important to us with teens.
I wouldn't have been able to do that booking it online myself.

chickindude Sun 20-Dec-15 15:00:38

Could I ask how much you are paying pp, if you would rather not say that's fine.
Am trying to keep costs down a bit, but at the same time would like nice hotels.

Destinysdaughter Sun 20-Dec-15 15:10:16

I went to Koh Samui late July a few years ago. Was hot and humid and rained every day either in the afternoon or evening. Never seen rain ( or experienced thunder) like it! It didn't last long tho and was quite exciting.

Destinysdaughter Sun 20-Dec-15 15:12:52

Actually it was Koh Phangyang where it rained every day. Think Samui wasn't as bad.

ihatethecold Sun 20-Dec-15 15:13:05

I have no idea how much it is per person.
I only know the total amount if that helps.

Salmiak Mon 21-Dec-15 15:51:44

chickendude have a look at villa rentals as well as nice hotels, we got a 2 bed villa with private pool 2 mins walk from beach, restaurant, etc for around £50 per night on the trip advisor villa rentals website. It worked out way cheaper than booking 4 people into a hotel!

ihatethecold Mon 21-Dec-15 17:09:59

There is someone in here that has a gorgeous rental on Koh Samui.

chickindude Tue 22-Dec-15 14:05:46

That sounds like a great idea I will look in to it. Thanks so much

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now