Talk

Advanced search

Longhaul tips with a toddler....

(14 Posts)
PinkParsnips Mon 17-Aug-15 22:09:13

Sorry I'm sure this has been done a million times before...

My parents have very generously paid for us to go to Florida with them when our DD will be 23 months. It's been booked for over a year and at the time seemed a great idea but DD has started having quite big tantrums and never sits still for a minute (just a normal toddler really!) and I'm veering between excitement and wondering what on earth possessed us!
It will be her first ever flight and she doesn't have her own seat (as it was going to be an extra £600) so will be on my lap.

Your best tips please?! confused

I think I've got the usual stuff covered - various toys, stickers, colouring books - you name it, snacks etc.
Fave programmes on the tablet.....

What other things worked well for you, any little games to play or tips on avoiding problems etc?

I'm so panicky about her not sitting still on take off and landing / going into a huge tantrum etc. (am really not a good flier as it is - arggh! )

Scotinoz Tue 18-Aug-15 04:48:06

Snacks. Lots of snacks. More snacks than you'd imagine possible.

If it's keeps them quiet-ish and reasonably still then I let mine do it.

I break flights into 30minute chunks, and just aim to get through each short chunk.

Oh, and do your best to knacker them out before the flight and there's a chance they might sleep for a wee while.

It'll be fine, honest smile

MooseBeTimeForSummer Tue 18-Aug-15 06:29:42

She doesn't turn 2 whilst you're away does she?

TeddyBear5 Tue 18-Aug-15 06:40:47

I'd buy her own seat if there's still time

PinkParsnips Tue 18-Aug-15 09:05:18

Yes an abundance of snacks sounds like a good idea!! Are we allowed to take as many snacks as we like through, or do you have to buy them all on the other side?

No Moose we get back 3 days before her 2nd birthday.

Hmm I know what you mean about the seat....when we first enquired it was £300, went to book it a few days later it had gone up to £600 and we thought it's an awful lot of money if she refuses to sit in it, but now I'm having doubts!

curriegirl Sat 05-Sep-15 21:15:15

God, book a seat. I'd never have a 23 month old on my lap for what 9 hours to Florida? At lease the arm rests can go up and she can lie flatish and have a snooze or play on a tablet if you have it loaded with cartoons etc.

AttilaTheMeerkat Sun 06-Sep-15 09:02:47

She needs her own seat; having her on your lap for the best part of nine hours is not going to do your legs any favours at all. Also the flight back to the UK is an overnight one.

You can take snacks through security but leave liquid based foodstuff like yogurt at home. Leave any uneaten food (particularly fruit, meat or any dairy produce) behind on the aircraft.

MrsGubbins Sun 06-Sep-15 11:09:40

we live overseas (an 8 hour flight) I've done a few flights on my own with a toddler on my lap and I wouldn't pay for a full flight ticket. It's only two days of your life, suspend all normal rules and let her watch peppa pig (or whatever she likes) on repeat, feed her whatever snacks/treats keep her happy.. I never routinely give my 2 sweets or chocolate but on the last flight back they were plied with smarties and crisps and were allowed to watch Octonauts for at least 4 hours straight.

Invest in children's headphones, a new book, stickers, plasticine/playdough. Most airlines give out some sort of toy and take a polaroid photo as a memento. You can take as many snacks as you want, they take any liquids off to be tested at security so you don't generally have to open and taste (I took frozen yoghurt tubes through Birmingham no problem)
Enjoy your holiday... save the flight money for your spends!

Doublebubblebubble Sun 06-Sep-15 11:20:37

Book a seat for her - you'll Regret it otherwise. Me and dh travel to Canada 2 x a year with DD (6) and have done since she was about 6 weeks old. You will have a rough time believe me if you don't x

Also when dd was very small we bought earbuds and sweets for the passengers to the front and back of us, to atone for the possible screaming... Didn't need to though as DD was and always has been good as gold. That being said we still do it now and id say for a 6 year old she's a fairly experienced flyer... Xgood luck x

ninniepie Sun 06-Sep-15 11:31:10

Really don't think you should book a seat - it's so expensive. Save your money. As mrs says, it's only two days of your life and you'll get through it!

I travel regularly with my toddler and have done long haul on my own with her and it's been fine. We went to the toilet about 10 times and I did more playing that I thought was humanely possible but it was soon over. I would never consider booking her a seat.

agree with pps - suspend all rules and bring as many snacks as you can fit in your bag!

Have a nice holiday.

Citybaby Tue 08-Sep-15 22:57:42

Any recommendations on headphones for kids? I'm about to take my 15 month old and 25 month old on their first 10 hour flight and am having the same worries.
I've loaded up the ipad with peppa pig, brought some cheap toys to wrap up and suprise them with at regular intervals, I'll now go and get some snacks too. Please keep the suggestions coming!

Doublebubblebubble Wed 09-Sep-15 12:19:48

citybaby sorry just seen this x

www.sainsburys.co.uk/shop/gb/groceries/headphones/jvc-kids-headphone-pink-purple

These ^ headphones are great - I think they are reasonably priced and fit nicely x you get stickers to decorate them (can put names on them too) and they have pink and blue.

MrsGubbins Thu 10-Sep-15 17:04:54

I'd also recommend getting a headphone splitter so they can listen to/watch the same ipad with their own headphones (my youngest always wants to watch what the oldest is watching and vice versa!)

whatsagoodusername Thu 10-Sep-15 17:08:47

Book your seats with DP in A, nobody in B, and you and DD in C, so there is no one between you.

A single middle seat is less likely to fill and if it does, the person in the middle will be grateful to change seats with either you or DP.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now