Talk

Advanced search

Jamaica or Antigua

(14 Posts)
kirinm Sun 16-Aug-15 17:09:35

I'm struggling to decide where to go. I've been to Barbados a few times, it's great but we are going to try somewhere else. I like the idea of Jamaica because there are other things to do - such as Dunn River falls / Blue Mountain etc. But with our budget we are going to be looking at one of the massive all inclusive hotels. You also hear of how dangerous Jamaica is so maybe not safe enough to explore on our own.

Antigua looks stunning but I'm worried it doesn't potentially have as much to do as Jamaica but is probably a lot safer.

Any advice on which island to choose?

LadyStark Sun 16-Aug-15 17:34:02

I haven't been to Jamaica but loved Antigua, I didn't personally do lots as was quite happy to relax, do water sports etc.

There is Nelson's Dockyard and a party on Sunday evenings at Shirley Heights, lots of boat trips as you would expect.

FiveGoMadInDorset Sun 16-Aug-15 17:43:13

Antigua, felt really safe, Nelsons dock yard is lovely, there is the rainforest and treetop walk, lots of empty beaches to go and explore.

kirinm Sun 16-Aug-15 17:56:56

Thanks both. I'll do some googling. Was it easy to get around? We used the local buses in Barbados.

kirinm Sun 16-Aug-15 18:01:32

I'm not massive explorer. I mainly love sitting with a cocktail on the beach / by the pool but hoping to go for a full 2 weeks this time and I know after a week or so, I get a bit more up for the odd activity.

PestoSwimissimos Sun 16-Aug-15 18:25:07

You can definitely use the local buses in Antigua but have no idea about Jamaica. Stingray City in Antigua is well worth a visit, take your snorkelling gear or they can lend you some on the boat.

Lordofmyflies Sun 16-Aug-15 20:23:08

I've been to both, and prefer Antigua. It feels a lot safer, less resort based and perfectly suitable to be hiring a car a do day trips. I didn't feel confident doing that in Jamaica. Antigua has fabulous beaches (365!). There is not a huge amount to do, Shirley's Heights, Stingray City, Nelsons Dockyard and St Johns. But there is plenty of watersports, boat trips and riding if you want it.

Heels99 Mon 17-Aug-15 08:15:56

Antigua is lovely
Friends just returned from Jamaica found it very expensive to do anything outside the resort and no local buses, tourists are charged an inflated taxi rate too.

YonicScrewdriver Mon 17-Aug-15 08:17:59

Haven't been to Jamaica but there's not loads to do in Antigua.

How about st Lucia or Curaçao? How long is your trip?

ZingDramaQueenOfSheeba Mon 17-Aug-15 09:24:10

I was going to say neither - but then I realised it's not the Baby Names topic

I vote Jamaica

Heels99 Mon 17-Aug-15 11:39:03

St lucia is fab and grenada is lovely too, quieter

kirinm Tue 18-Aug-15 09:43:48

I've been to St Lucia. It al ultimately comes down to price but the warnings about Jamaica are much appreciated. I didn't really consider how expensive excursions might be.

kirinm Tue 18-Aug-15 09:44:36

Oh we are hoping to go for 2 full weeks.

Iwanttobeadog Tue 18-Aug-15 09:47:59

we went to jamiaca a few years ago and despite being fairly hardcore 'traveller' types, well used to the attention and hassle you get in some places we found it really hard work. as soon as you left the confines of a resort it was constant, constant hassle, often quite aggresisve, offers of drugs ALL the time, prostitutes too. i wouldn't go again

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now